What's new

Guide Post Patch Skarlet Combo's

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
As of tonight (9-28) I'm posting up some new combo's for your enjoyment. You guys got me thinking about U3 - let me know what you think of the U3 starter I found. Timing is strict :)

Combo 1 41% (note the timing difference between hit and whiff!):
Inputs: JIP F2,1,2,1+2,df3,df2 xx b1,1,f4,{EX}df3,df2 xx f4,3

Combo 2 40%
Inputs: JIP U3,4,df1 {EX}df3,{EX}db2 xx f4,df3,{EX}db2 xx f4,3

Combo 3 43%
Inputs: JIP 2,1,2,1+2,df3,df2 xx b1,1,f4,{EX}df3,db2 xx 2,3,df3,4

Combo 4 42%
Inputs: JIP b1,1,f4,df3,df2 xx 2,3,df3,db2 xx 2,3,df3,4

Combo 5 40%
Inputs: JIP 2,1,2,1+2,df3,df2 xx 2,3,df3,{EX}db2 xx f4,3

Combo 6&7: Just to show that Skarlet can do cool NJP combo's too like Smoke, KL, Reptile...!

Ninj

Has she been affect in any way due to universal change of dashes?
Not particularly, no. Skarlet's specials aren't designed to be dash cancelled beyond her dagger, and if you're dagger cancelling you're most likely in mid-combo or zoning (dashing backwards).

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
Good idea Ninj...would be handy. really need a definitive list of these for new skarlet players to refer too...maybe extend it into strategies, what strings are safe on block, mixup ideas, resets etc. i know some of these are on the living guide but i think alot has been left out, skarlet is underused and hasnt been explored like the other characters

ps. U3 is awesome!!!

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
U3 is awesome!!!
Literally, it's probably the only offensive combo move I use besides 1,1,4 for high/low post-stagger mixups, F+2,1,2,1+2 for meter build, 2,1,2 for punishing and very importantly F+4 for Anti-Air. I remember the day Skarlet came out and the very first things I looked for was the best and safest move on block was. For me it was U+3 and I swear by it. If it was plus 1 or 2 on block it would make Skarlet even better. lol.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Literally, it's probably the only offensive combo move I use besides 1,1,4 for high/low post-stagger mixups, F+2,1,2,1+2 for meter build, 2,1,2 for punishing and very importantly F+4 for Anti-Air. I remember the day Skarlet came out and the very first things I looked for was the best and safest move on block was. For me it was U+3 and I swear by it. If it was plus 1 or 2 on block it would make Skarlet even better. lol.
Really? You use u3 that much? I'm curious to see your play style, any chance of some videos in matches?

Ninj

Really? You use u3 that much? I'm curious to see your play style, any chance of some videos in matches?
I'm also interested in this, because I don't use U3 pretty much ever in my matches. Not saying I have reason to not use it, it just doesn't seem to fit my playstyle as of this point. I've asked Helter if he and I could get some private matches in to compare our Skarlet vs Skarlet playstyle for the good of everyone sometime next week (when I have my 42" TV! Did I mention that before? :p )

Johnny2d

I'm also interested in this, because I don't use U3 pretty much ever in my matches. Not saying I have reason to not use it, it just doesn't seem to fit my playstyle as of this point. I've asked Helter if he and I could get some private matches in to compare our Skarlet vs Skarlet playstyle for the good of everyone sometime next week (when I have my 42" TV! Did I mention that before? :p )
I'm laughing about your tv dude. I think you've mentioned it in everyone of these threads ;)

I use a hitbox and as part of my 'workout routine' in the practice room with skarlet, I always do reps of u3 combos but it is still too weird of an for me on the hitbox for me to have it as a' go to' move during a match.

Another thing I practice that is starting to flow naturally during matches that I haven't seen other skarlet players use is d4, cancel with df3, then 4 for the low or over head if you've trained them to block low. The d4 lowers her hitbox which is crazy useful, if the d4 wiffs the recovery time isn't awful. If it hits and you've input the df3 you go into the dash animation and are set for your follow up of choice. This gives skarlet a legit footsies game much like the important footsies game in street fighter. I practice spacing so just the tip of my toe connects then the dash comes out. If you are farther away obviously you would just red dash in but at the right footsies distance this is very useful. Its important to note that the d4 doesn't combo into the df3,4, but you are at so much frame advantage that if the d4 is blocked or hits, the slide cannot be interrupted.

Ninj

The d4 lowers her hitbox which is crazy useful, if the d4 wiffs the recovery time isn't awful. If it hits and you've input the df3 you go into the dash animation and are set for your follow up of choice. This gives skarlet a legit footsies game much like the important footsies game in street fighter.
Agreed

Johnny2d

I'd still really like to see this being used as a staple tactic in a match. I just don't see it being 'safe' with 16 frames of startup. Its not like Jade's U+kick move that pushes her forward so much. At a 16 frame start up it is actually her least safe combo starter. The beginning of the cobom is the part that needs to be safest for skarlet so quickness is really important. I would think that it could be used as a punisher or anti air, but I tend to go with other options there too. Also you mention it is safe on block, well all her moves are safe on block and in fact thats where skarlet is most deadly, if you can get them to block the first hit of any string, you have the ability to cancel into df3, then 4 for safety or b2 for overhead mixup. The only string that can't be canceled into df3 is u3! so in that way I find it limiting.

I'm not saying that you are incorrect, I just want to see it work for you so I can add that to my bag of tricks ;) Also, if anyone else uses up 3, or knows of match videos where players use it frequently I'd love to see them.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I'll have some people round tommorow or Friday and I'll try and record some stuff.

Here are my reason's for using U+3:

-Grants access to the most damaging combos Skarlet has, due to it being one high damage move as opposed to multiple hits doing slightly more damage.
-Best move off a jump in punch/crossover punch for the reason above.
-Best move you can use after a Down Slash for the first reason I mentioned.
-Best move for corner combos for the first reason I mentioned.
-It can be cancelled into the downwards air dagger to make it safer.
-It's an okay anti-air, although F+4 is much better.

I'm a Mileena player first foremost so I'm used to slow starting strings. I just wish U+3 was 1-2 frames advantage on block. Then it would be possible to use it for frame traps.

Ninj

I'll have some people round tommorow or Friday and I'll try and record some stuff.

-Grants access to the most damaging combos Skarlet has, due to it being one high damage move as opposed to multiple hits doing slightly more damage.

I'm a Mileena player first foremost so I'm used to slow starting strings. I just wish U+3 was 1-2 frames advantage on block. Then it would be possible to use it for frame traps.
I'd love to see some gameplay footage man. Like I said before, I don't really incorporate U3 very often into my fighting style (which isn't to say I never do) so I'm very interested to see how you use it.

CoolStoryBro

Reppin' The Royalty!
Just a quick little combo i though i'd share, probs been round a while, but now with the dagger speed nerf, this might be a little easier for some. 2,1, Upslash, 2,3 RD, Downslash, 2,3 RD, 4. - 35% Without JIP ( would be nice for punishes) - and its 2% more damage than 2,1,2 DC, 2,3 DC, 2,3 RD, 4 - which does 33% when used as a punish. As i said, probs allready been noted, but i use it alot for punishes, though i'd share.

Johnny2d

Cool. Those are all great reasons to work with it some more. Thanks for taking the time to outline those and I'm looking forward to your vids if you get the time :)

Can someone give me or link me to a list of midscreen combos?

All I have been using is 2,1,upslash. 2 upslash, 2 upslash for 25%

Not bad for a scrub skarlet player like me.

Also, I've taken note that when you do 2,1,2 and delay it and then do a downslash, the opponent will not have time to do his/her command in order to punish, I have seen that this falls for many people.

Johnny2d

Can someone give me or link me to a list of midscreen combos?

All I have been using is 2,1,upslash. 2 upslash, 2 upslash for 25%

Not bad for a scrub skarlet player like me.

Also, I've taken note that when you do 2,1,2 and delay it and then do a downslash, the opponent will not have time to do his/her command in order to punish, I have seen that this falls for many people.
Dude, the best combos are all in this thread. I can give you some major advice that will help you mid screen though, and its not learn the most damaging combo. Skarlet's advantage is her mixup from spacing, just inside sweep distance your opponent is vulnerable to a d4, canceled into df3 then overhead or low. Outside sweep distance, they are vulnerable to a df3 then overhead or low. At jump distance use daggers, air daggers, and dagger cancels, with the threat of teleport to crete opportunities to dash in, for more df3 mixups. At jump distance you are also looking to make a good read on your opponent who will be trying to get their offence going, blast thruogh their offence with enhanced df3 then mixup of choice. Use these tactics as your primary offence, that sets up opportunities to score a jump in or crossover for a major damage combo. Learn this stuff first, then add the long combos to your game.

Ninj

Dude, the best combos are all in this thread. I can give you some major advice that will help you mid screen though, and its not learn the most damaging combo. Skarlet's advantage is her mixup from spacing, just inside sweep distance your opponent is vulnerable to a d4, canceled into df3 then overhead or low. Outside sweep distance, they are vulnerable to a df3 then overhead or low. At jump distance use daggers, air daggers, and dagger cancels, with the threat of teleport to crete opportunities to dash in, for more df3 mixups. At jump distance you are also looking to make a good read on your opponent who will be trying to get their offence going, blast thruogh their offence with enhanced df3 then mixup of choice. Use these tactics as your primary offence, that sets up opportunities to score a jump in or crossover for a major damage combo. Learn this stuff first, then add the long combos to your game.
Well said. Guide is in the works, but it won't be focused on combo's (although staple combo's will be in there)

How much of a game changer is her second fatality ?? I mean its the most creative and gory one on the game in my opinion :top:

Johnny2d

Well said. Guide is in the works, but it won't be focused on combo's (although staple combo's will be in there)
This will be so helpful. I think that most of the information is here in these threads, but its pretty hard to find what you are looking for unless you have been reading everything and participating in the convo like a few of us.

Ninj, if you want any help with writing or editing or even just a second set of eyes to read it over before posting the guide feel free to pm me. I'm a teacher by trade so I don't mind.

Ksmoke

skarlet is back!!
Any one put dash,u3df1 after up/downslash? I just did jip,b2,db2,dash,u3df1,dash,23,dagger cancel,23,df3,4 and got 46%. Didnt try much esle Just kno u3df1 works good after any combo leading
to up/downslash. My first time posting. Hope this was helpful. Sure u guys can come up wit more using this now that we can dash into it now

Ninj

Any one put dash,u3df1 after up/downslash?
Let's run with this:

Adding the U3 after a downslash looks to be doing a few % points more damage than some of the alternative forms that I've been using. Most of my advanced combo's will do in the 40% range without meter, but Ksmoke's (great) addition of U3 inbetween and adding back dagger cancels hits a pretty 46% mark with no meter.

Ksmoke

skarlet is back!!
Damn I almost gave on her cause of the patch but now she will be my alt. Thanks aninj for dat video. Im never giving up on her now!

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Thanks dude, for all what you do for this bloody girl. I'm still waiting for your strategy guide and some more gameplay videos.

I still don't know why we don't see that much Skarlet in high competition. Yet she rocks hard !

Ninj

Thanks dude, for all what you do for this bloody girl. I'm still waiting for your strategy guide and some more gameplay videos.

I still don't know why we don't see that much Skarlet in high competition. Yet she rocks hard !
Yeah, if I had ...well, time, I would probably go to a real competition and show her off.

I'm writing the Guide as I type this, and I've ordered the gear I need in order to record direct from my tv for recording matches, so expect more good things to come.