What's new

Possible reasons for the lack of proper character reveals?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I suspect that NRS will be showing very little or no new characters to the series before the game is released. I think they want us to experience the newcomers in the story first before just throwing their gameplay at us.

That said, I think leading up until April we won't get near 20 more reveals but instead just about 10-12 more consisting of mostly returning characters and Mk4 characters.

What do you all think the rate at which characters are being shown is due to? Are they waiting for later? Are they still in development? Do they hate us?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I'd rather have surprises in the roster upon release, but if we keep at the rate were going now, we will barely have half the roster revealed by launch day. If NRS is going to try to outsell MK9 with MKX, they have to assure fans that some of their favorites are still going to make it among the newcomers and leaving half the roster a mystery is kind of a lot to not know about when it comes to a fighting game. Id say if they were to release at least 12 more characters before release (mostly returning characters), and then they can save maybe 8 as a mystery.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I do think it's weird that it's been over a week since Goro was revealed and we still haven't seen a trailer. Like wtf?
I think that might just be a clash of marketing and development.

Marketing demanded they reveal it now, but he might not be that far along in development.
(They needed to reveal the pre order bonus along with the release date, they planned for Goro to be the bonus awhile ago, before they started actually working on him).

I'm talking out of my ass though, who knows why they do the things that they do.

Skellington

Banned
I think that might just be a clash of marketing and development.

Marketing demanded they reveal it now, but he might not be that far along in development.
(They needed to reveal the pre order bonus along with the release date, they planned for Goro to be the bonus awhile ago, before they started actually working on him).

I'm talking out of my ass though, who knows why they do the things that they do.
Ya, I feel ya. I just feel like since Goro is specifically a pre-order incentive, people would want to see how he plays in the game before pre-ordering. Maybe more people would pre-order once they see how he plays

Plop

Noob
If someone with inside info and proof posted the confirmed roster tomorrow in a thread would you all look at it straight away or try and resist until the trailers/game came out?

This is a question I just asked myself and I honestly don't know what I'd do

E

Eldriken

If someone with inside info and proof posted the confirmed roster tomorrow in a thread would you all look at it straight away or try and resist until the trailers/game came out?

I couldn't resist. I would HAVE to know if Kitana made it.

Plop

Noob
I couldn't resist. I would HAVE to know if Kitana made it.
What if you just asked someone who had seen it if Kitana made it in? I've already got Kano so my main is confirmed either way, but I still don't think I could resist looking at it, even though it would be better in the long run

E

Eldriken

What if you just asked someone who had seen it if Kitana made it in? I've already got Kano so my main is confirmed either way, but I still don't think I could resist looking at it, even though it would be better in the long run
I'd have to see it for myself.

Dark

Noob

If it was now.. I wouldn't be able to resist. If it was a month or less from release, I would try to resist.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball

I'd look in a heartbeat, I'd want to know if Reptile was in the game, who the new characters are and if they're bad ass. Still hoping for a beast or werewolf fighter.

MCPeePants

Bout it
Always gonna be a few fighters I like in this shit. That said, I would love to see the classics revealed, maybe leave the newcomers as a surprise.

Let's just reveal 2 a month for 6 months tho. Reptile, Kenshi, and Bo Rai Cho, plz. Let's get it.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
This is pretty much exactly how they showcased MK9 before release

Nobody even knew Stryker, Cyber Sub, or Quan-Chi and plenty others were in the game until a month or so before release. Even then someone had to leak a character select screen.

there is only one logical explanation: nothing is far enough in developement to be shown. we also havent seen anything of the mysterious online mode. once they are far enough, they will show stuff.

yes, without any hesitation. the only thing i dont wanna know about is story mode bcuz spoilers

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
there is only one logical explanation: nothing is far enough in developement to be shown. we also havent seen anything of the mysterious online mode. once they are far enough, they will show stuff.
I don't agree with that being the only logical explanation at all. I think NRS are far enough into development to reveal a lot more but they are simply choosing not to. The game is still 7 months away and there's enough hype to go around. There's really no reason for them to reveal so much now. They'll just reveal enough to keep the hype afloat, revealing a character or a feature every now and then, and finally go big around March. And even then they'd probably want to keep some surprises for the launch.

If NRS gives away all the characters and special features so long before launch we would nevertheless ask for a big launch. And that would mean a lot of CGI trailers which NRS would probably like to keep to a minimum because they are expensive.

When it comes to marketing a big game you don't want to take very big risks. Revealing too much now is a big risk.