What's new

Playing For Fun vs. Playing To Win

Spletty

Grandmaster
Slight rant incoming.

So I was playing injustice online today, and I had a good game against a joker player and one pretty good batman player, and about 11 deathstroke sword flippers. There were a couple good deathstroke players but the majority were sword flip on wake up/guns.

And no this isn't a "I hate deathstroke" thread.

A lot of the time I've noticed there are people who will just jump around sporadically crossing over and hitting lows and whatnot with no real gameplan or intent other than to just be random. I find it hard for me to deal with that, since I'm used to spacing people, using footsies, blockstrings, knowing advantage/disadvantage, etc.

This is where I got the idea of this thread. Are there really that many players online that like deathstroke as a character or enjoy just flipping and shooting nonsensically? And it's not just deathstroke, his style is just the most frustrating.

It's not just injustice. After I got sick of dealing with this nonsense I put in nba2k13 and went online. Me from Minnesota, picked the timberwolves. I played 6 games, agains the following opponents in this order:

Heat
Heat
Lakers
Heat
Lakers
Heat

Now I have to ask myself if these people play for fun, or just to win?

I suppose it's fun to win, but I guess I just don't understand.

I started reevaluating my gaming, and decided to just drop online all together unless its people I know. One player games/offline/ friends only seems to be the only way to enjoy it anymore. Maybe at 22 I'm getting old?(lol). Idk. Sorry to rant. Just needed to get this out.

redeyes

Button Masher
People like to win cause it makes their e-peen bigger. nothing better then a bigger e-peen.

yo dawg check out my WL record 7000/100
im the best dawg i use DS and shoot guns at people.
aw youre winning nah son dashboard. i cant take the e-peen loss.
let me send hatemail at that "combo" spammer he needs to learn to play.

your cod 12 year olds on injustice

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
People like to win cause it makes their e-peen bigger. nothing better then a bigger e-peen.

yo dawg check out my WL record 7000/100
im the best dawg i use DS and shoot guns at people.
aw youre winning nah son dashboard. i cant take the e-peen loss.
let me send hatemail at that "combo" spammer he needs to learn to play.

your cod 12 year olds on injustice
I use DS and I pew pew pew all day, but my W/L record is 930/1030 :( Am I doing it wrong?

Goldi

Noob
Starting to think this doesn't apply to me. I'm more interested in the other players and talking/bonding/learning/teasing if it's an option. The game by itself or with strangers doesn't do it for me.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I play for fun always...
But of course i play intelligent and always looking to get better...
But there are days (like today) lol that i dont really want to play, i just have free time and turn on my ps3 so i dont play seriously <3

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
Oh God do we really have to start this shit up again?

And some people are rank whores or their egos can't take losing so they abuse online lag,pull,cheat and use the most broken easily spam-able shit they can find to win such is the nature of online play.Others just use what's easier to use and win with cause they enjoy it or play for money.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Both. Winning is fun, and depending on how I feel that day determines who I pick.

I play DS a lot as he is one of the characters I can win with more often than not, and can have a lot of fun with do so. With DS I will cross you up with j3; I will shoot guns all day (if I can/am in the mood to); and I do use sword flip on wake-up on occasion.

That being said, I also play with GA (my main), Scorpion, Shazam, Cyborg, Zod (I'm really liking him btw), and a few other characters that are concidered. In fact, my current win/lose with Zod is like 40% winning (I've played like 100 matches with him) because I enjoy learning and loosing (to a degree) just as much as I do learning and winning.

All in all I think there are plenty of people out there who use only a few characters (especially in ranked) because they are easy to learn/use/win with, and because of that they have fun. The "harder" characters to learn are usually the ones that get the least amount of play.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
There's also option 3 of playing to improve. For example if I jump to much I break the habit by playing rounds where I don't jump at all. I know I'll lose, but I stick with it and start depending on other options. If I find a great tech trap but can't incorporate it into my game, I focus on using that a lot until it becomes habit. If a DS does a wakeup sword flip that's a guaranteed combo for me, but ill let myself get blown up by picking the option I'm working on instead doing the same counter I've done 100 times before. I don't win and it's not fun but it pays off in the end. If it's online then who cares. Online is for practice. Winning online doesn't matter.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Sadly, for most people, playing to win IS playing for fun. Those types of people also think that you have to jip every time you start a kombo

I've seen this thread topic so many times. There is nothing really wrong with both. People have their reasons on whether or not they play to win or how far they go into taking a game seriously. The goal of course is to win. It's just that some people can't stand losing while others can accept it quicker and better. I personally like to compete because competing is fun to me. Going toe to toe with people of equal to higher skill with a better character than me is a good experience. I still strive to win but if I don't win, I accept it and look at what I need to improve on. If you spend tons of money to travel to compete, it's obvious that you love the game and have fun playing it but you should have that winning mindset if you are doing so. You shouldn't spend thousands of dollars to fly out 8 states away just to have fun in a game. Unless you have that type of money to just throw away.