What's new

Picking up Nightwolf (trying) help

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
So I think I may have found the third fighter I want to pick up, but he seems... Linear, so I don't know how to improve. I have some questions

How to pressure with NW

Good mix-ups, or set-ups

What not to do

I am also going to watch some videos of good NW's and try to learn more that way s well. Is there a big NW guide thread like some fighters have? If NW dosnt work out im thinking about Skarlet, Ermac, KL (though I don't want to), Sub-Zero or Sonya. As always, any help is appreciated.

NKZero

Noob
LOTF made a Nightwolf guide that pretty much covers everything so I suggest you check that out.

Nightwolf has all sorts of shenanigans such as arrow traps, lightning traps and two types of ghetto resets in the corner. You can find out all this stuff in the guide. I also made a thread in the forum about Nightwolf's more under-used strings if you wanna check that out :).

Anyways the strings you will want to be using are: F31, F312 (in corner), 234, 114, 1221, B221

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ except for a few things...
234 should not be used...its a horrible string. My advice is to learn the frame data and study LoTF's guide. The only thing you will need to get on your own is the footsie game. Spacing is crucial for punishing with Nightwolf. Also, when you start using the lightning trap, just make sure you dont rely on it because it doesnt work against a character's wake up that has invincibility frames (most of the time).

NKZero

Noob
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ except for a few things...
234 should not be used...its a horrible string. My advice is to learn the frame data and study LoTF's guide. The only thing you will need to get on your own is the footsie game. Spacing is crucial for punishing with Nightwolf. Also, when you start using the lightning trap, just make sure you dont rely on it because it doesnt work against a character's wake up that has invincibility frames (most of the time).
Why is 234 horrible? 23 on block gives you a follow up F3 which will beat out other pokes. 234 hits and you have a potential lightning set-up. I'm not necessarily questioning you but I am curious because I don't think it is that bad.

Big D

Why is 234 horrible? 23 on block gives you a follow up F3 which will beat out other pokes. 234 hits and you have a potential lightning set-up. I'm not necessarily questioning you but I am curious because I don't think it is that bad.
I should rephrase what I said. 234 is not horrible, but its his worst string IMO. You do make a good point though with the possible lightning follow up; but with the way I play Nightwolf, there is no room for 234.

NKZero

Noob
I should rephrase what I said. 234 is not horrible, but its his worst string IMO. You do make a good point though with the possible lightning follow up; but with the way I play Nightwolf, there is no room for 234.
the way you play Nightwolf there is no room for anything but shoulder charge (not saying that's bad haha). Man you play an aggressive fucking style it's like you don't give a damn :). Yeah you are right it is his worst string but I guess if you want to give your opponent one more option to think about. Definitely not game changing.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
if its down to the lasts hits and you land a jump in punch on block...234 gonna trip them the fuck up. they will never see it coming...plus its neutral so if that dont hit em the follow up shoulder will...

Big D

the way you play Nightwolf there is no room for anything but shoulder charge (not saying that's bad haha). Man you play an aggressive fucking style it's like you don't give a damn :). Yeah you are right it is his worst string but I guess if you want to give your opponent one more option to think about. Definitely not game changing.
lol EXACTLY. Did you watch the videos from FR or CEO Winterfest? But I was actually trying to put that string into my rotation and its not as horrible as I thought. Still not sure if I will use it at a tourney though...

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
first off read flys guide,its great and helped me understand the character alot.seeing as the two guys who play nightwolf the best have already answered im not sure what my opinion is worth but here goes.try not to waste meter on stupid shit like en axe in the middle of a combo(unless to save a match or win a round)the extra damage really isnt worth it otherwise.en shoulder is pointless too,it mostly gets blocked, jumped or punished,en choke is a good tool for getting out of the corner when your locked down by cage or jaxs bullshit(thanks for that fly)try and save meter for en lightning which i feel is his best move and if hit after a bnb combo you could be looking at about 70% damage for 1 bar!
i think there are far more qualified people to discuss his mix up and pressure options so i'll leave it there for now.