What's new

Personally hate the tier list

swag1

EX smash solves all
I don't know about anyone else, but does anyone here hate the tier list(s)? I do because if I think a character looks interesting, check the tier list, they're C or lower tier, I get scared away. Take Skarlet for example. She looks amazing, but is F tier? Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'm alone in this but it really frustrates me.

If you decide which character you choose based on a tier list then you shouldn't be playing any fighting games.

SZSR

Noob
I don't know about anyone else, but does anyone here hate the tier list(s)? I do because if I think a character looks interesting, check the tier list, they're C or lower tier, I get scared away. Take Skarlet for example. She looks amazing, but is F tier? Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'm alone in this but it really frustrates me.
Don't take tier lists to heart, like I heard before, "Any character can beat any character at any time". How much you know about your character's setups drawbacks and abilities and how much you can take advantage of them is what makes the difference.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
why do you care where a character is placed on a tier list?? i main sindel and shes at the bottom.. pick a character thats fits your play style and stick with them.

Reedoms

Noob
Most characters at the bottom of a tier list are there mainly because that special something hasn't been discovered yet.

Jax was pretty low tier wise and then Tyrant and other Jax mainers came out and showed everyone what he was all about and now Jax is pretty far up in the tier lists.

Pick who you want to play as. It's more fun that way.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Most characters at the bottom of a tier list are there mainly because that special something hasn't been discovered yet.

Jax was pretty low tier wise and then Tyrant and other Jax mainers came out and showed everyone what he was all about and now Jax is pretty far up in the tier lists.

Pick who you want to play as. It's more fun that way.
thats not true.. jax was at the bottom then he got 3 buffs that shot him up.. ground pound cancels, armor and faster fireball all shot him up the list. before the buffs he wasnt any good..

Reedoms

Noob
thats not true.. jax was at the bottom then he got 3 buffs that shot him up.. ground pound cancels, armor and faster fireball all shot him up the list. before the buffs he wasnt any good..
Fine, kill my motivational speech. :grave:

Just like pretty much everything in life, tier lists are fine when used properly. What I don't get is seeing one for a game still so young. The hard swings of some characters placement's should be proof enough that we can't rank them properly yet.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Yup. I think tier lists are primitive and idiotic. Hell, half my roster are two "low tier" characters and I slay with them. Just play the characters you like and you will naturally get good with them!

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
When you look at Mk and UMvc3 any can beat anyone. I like to look at tier lists though. But what I hate is fucking tier whores. I hate people that pick characters base on who's good and who's not good and still lose.

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
Sonya's a good example of why not to listen to tier lists.

The character had practically zero representation early on(When she was used, it was more of a novelty, not an ms cancel in sight). People automatically lumped her in with F tier for the sole reason that she was unpopular.

Then folks like Mortysienfeld and F0xy got ahold of her, started using her to her potential, and now shes close to top tier(depending on who you ask.) Now, this is still a fairly new game, and there's a ton of opportunity for lesser used chars. People pre-patch typically used Skarlet as a spambot, but Usedforglue posted blockstring tech for skarlet that I haven't seen anyone use in high level play, sound familiar?

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Yep Sonya Is a better example but she too got the 2 armor buffs lol.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
Yep Sonya Is a better example but she too got the 2 armor buffs lol.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
One of the m is made of fail, and she was already considered strong just before the patch, around the time Riu48 got exposed by tom.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
From time to time characters swithced places not only because of the patches, but people explored them. Look at Jade. She is sad because she is the worst character accoding to the list. But wait, no...your tier list just passed through her, because of her glow, and you got a 46% in your face. U mad? Try to rush her down in your rage? Ahh...no, ex glow, another 46% in your face. Don't be mad ^^

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Whats a tier list?

Reedoms

Noob
From time to time characters swithced places not only because of the patches, but people explored them. Look at Jade. She is sad because she is the worst character accoding to the list. But wait, no...your tier list just passed through her, because of her glow, and you got a 46% in your face. U mad? Try to rush her down in your rage? Ahh...no, ex glow, another 46% in your face. Don't be mad ^^
I don't think it's THAT good but Jade is pretty under-appreciated.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I doesn't really affect me where they are on the tier list for who I choose. It does affect me how high they may be if someone gets "better" in the list though. When so many people bandwagon and jump on a character when they hear something good about them.

Alot of people are realizing more potential in Sonya so now it seems like people are more familiar with her play style because she's not a 1 off kind of match anymore. This makes me a bit less unpredictable playing her because they know more of what she's capable of due to more people playing her.

Speaking of which when did Smoke get that great supposedly? That's who I fight in half my matches in ranked lately but he doesn't seem any different than when I rarely fought him.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I doesn't really affect me where they are on the tier list for who I choose. It does affect me how high they may be if someone gets "better" in the list though. When so many people bandwagon and jump on a character when they hear something good about them.

Alot of people are realizing more potential in Sonya so now it seems like people are more familiar with her play style because she's not a 1 off kind of match anymore. This makes me a bit less unpredictable playing her because they know more of what she's capable of due to more people playing her.

Speaking of which when did Smoke get that great supposedly? That's who I fight in half my matches in ranked lately but he doesn't seem any different than when I rarely fought him.
Smoke isnt great to you because you havent played against:

Aris
Atl_Redd
CD JR
RM_XSMOKEX

You'll never question smoke's greatness after playing these 4

As far as tier lists go i just kind of dont care. id rather fight against a Cage + reptile anyday than say.....some C and d tiers

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I don' think thats true. Jax has been one of my mains since like 1st or 2nd week that the game came out, and always thought he was amazing. I don't know why anyone ever considered him low tier. Everytime he got buffed I was like he doesn't even need this, he's already a beast! But I'll take it lol. I mean don't get me wrong the armor and the rest of the buffs made him even better of course, but what I'm trying to say is that in my opinion jax was NEVER low tier.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Smoke isnt great to you because you havent played against:

Aris
Atl_Redd
CD JR
RM_XSMOKEX

You'll never question smoke's greatness after playing these 4

As far as tier lists go i just kind of dont care. id rather fight against a Cage + reptile anyday than say.....some C and d tiers
This is true, I haven't fought those ones specifically but I have fought some 1 off scary Smokes, just the general populace that has picked him up doesn't seem like they have improved. Just wondering what the big flood of players was like if something got patched in the last update that made him better in some way. I could say the same thing about Scorpion too though, most of them are pretty mediocre but I'll run across one ocasionally that's just insanely hard to deal with.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
This is true, I haven't fought those ones specifically but I have fought some 1 off scary Smokes, just the general populace that has picked him up doesn't seem like they have improved. Just wondering what the big flood of players was like if something got patched in the last update that made him better in some way. I could say the same thing about Scorpion too though, most of them are pretty mediocre but I'll run across one ocasionally that's just insanely hard to deal with.
well with scorpion id say you havent played a real scorpion unless you played:

Slips
check
Archmagnus
Gamerblake

There are probably 2-3 players scorpions i dont know about who are great but i can personally vouch for these guys above.

Smoke is an outstanding character because of his meter building, 75% reset, controls air no meter 35-40%, d1, AA, etc

his only weakness is no low starter and his uppercut. He doesnt need an uppercut due to AA d1 d1 smoke bomb and he opens players up by d1 d1 d1 d3 d3 d3 into his overhead combo leading to reset. If you play against a smoke who random teleports then smoke seems pretty shit

hope this helps

d

well with scorpion id say you havent played a real scorpion unless you played:

Slips
check
Archmagnus
Gamerblake

There are probably 2-3 players scorpions i dont know about who are great but i can personally vouch for these guys above.

Smoke is an outstanding character because of his meter building, 75% reset, controls air no meter 35-40%, d1, AA, etc

his only weakness is no low starter and his uppercut. He doesnt need an uppercut due to AA d1 d1 smoke bomb and he opens players up by d1 d1 d1 d3 d3 d3 into his overhead combo leading to reset. If you play against a smoke who random teleports then smoke seems pretty shit

hope this helps
Id have to disagree, smokes biggest weakness is his wakup game, and what do you mean with his meter building because I think he is not a character that builds meter very well compared to others

I don' think thats true. Jax has been one of my mains since like 1st or 2nd week that the game came out, and always thought he was amazing. I don't know why anyone ever considered him low tier. Everytime he got buffed I was like he doesn't even need this, he's already a beast! But I'll take it lol. I mean don't get me wrong the armor and the rest of the buffs made him even better of course, but what I'm trying to say is that in my opinion jax was NEVER low tier.
Jup, He was Mid, and now hes top or at least near top, he has a projectile that cant be punished properly its only minus 8 I think, so that leaves D1 as a punish?

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I think I have fought Slips before online maybe, does he go under that same name online or does he even play online? Definitely never played Check, Archmagnus also sounds familiar though. The smokes I have played lately are getting a little better. I have seen alot more effective use of smoke forward and away lately too, before no one seemed to use that. But I'm no amazing player anyways so I'm sure these high ranked players would destroy me, I barely got Forever king down to half health in one round last night and I was content with that haha, I can usually beat people in the 35 or lower trueskill range without that much trouble with about half my matches of people in the 35-39 range but rarely win matches against people in the 40+ trueskill range.