What's new

Guide - Kotal Kahn Parry everything!!! well...almost everything.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think we used to have a thread dedicated to parry but I believe now its time to start fresh. I will update the OP over time as things are discovered. For those who don't know, Kotal Kahn now has a 7 frame parry (df2) and a 1 frame ex parry. Any gap larger than 1 frame can get blow up now. It also parries most projectiles (but we don't know which ones) and all grounded normal attacks. Parried attacks lose their ability to be special canceled. This thread will serve as the central location for all information on each character's parryable moves.

So far I have been testing which strings can be fully parried and I can only imagine how large it actually is. I can fully parry all three hits of Cassie's b124 by using df2, ex df2, ex df2. I can also parry all 3 hits of Tanya's b1 2+4 by using df2 ex df2 df2.

Things to include with each character:
Projectiles
Strings with gaps and which parry works
Specials
multi-hitting moves
Things Kotal cannot parry

Legend - (Parentheses) indicate a gap before this part of a string hits.

Cassie Cage
b12(4)
Ex Tracking missle
Gun shot

Cannot be parried:
Low missile

Ex guns
American way (that is funny)
Command Grab

Johnny Cage

the 113-nutpunch string. Nutpunch can be regulary parried unless he insta meterburns it when he uses 113-nutpunch. When nutpunch gets insta meterburned, he can parry the second hit but only ex parry after that string. When cage uses nutpunch outside of string if u parry the first hit the second hit wont come out and is punishable with f2. (he can punish every parried nutpunch with f2).The shadow kick can be parried as well.

Quan Chi
Rune and Ex Rune

Cannot be parried:
summoned demon

Kenshi

Cannot be parried:
All spirit moves in Balanced
All demon moves in possessed
All kenjutsu telekinetic moves

Raiden

Cannot be parried:
Superman

Takeda
Where did his gaps go?
On reaction to b21 you can throw out df2 df2 and parry both hits to punish with f2
b21(2+4) ex df2

Cannot be parried:
Kunai
Air Spear
Blade Call
Whip Trip

Jacqui
full auto bf1 and bf4 and df2
last hit of df1 mb

Cannot be parried:
Hand cannon df2 has too many hits and doesn't work you can Parry the last hit if meter burned

Tremor
Overhead rock
Aftershock dd1
air dd1

Cannot be parried:
dd4
Crystaline interactable throw

Predator
B22(d2) reg parry

Cannot be parried:
Low lazer
ex mid lazer
trap

Devorah
silky
ex wasp grenade
vortex swarm

Cannot be parried:
bug burst

Shinnok
Hell sparks
bf1 boneshaper

Cannot be parried:
necromancer projectiles

Erron Black
sand toss
sand gernade reg and ex

Scorpion
Spear

Cannot be parried:
Minions

Kitana

Fans both ground and air
Fan lift

Liu Kang
fireballs ground and air
Dualist orbs (@FOREVER EL1TE lolololol)

Ferra Torr

Cannot be parried:
all ferra tosses
4 2+4, he can't parry Ferra's karate kick.
b.3 2+4 he can't parry Ferra's jumping strike

Sonya
Drone projectiles
wrist lazer

Cannot be parried:
Kamikaze
Grenades

Kung Jin:
Arrows
Chacram and ex chacram

Cannot be parried:

There is much testing to done. Please help me fill this out by posting your findings here. Perhaps this can get stickied.

Thank you @SwagMountains for the help in compiling this list.

Last edited:

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn
notable finds
If your projectile isn't in this list it can be parried, some projectiles are in this list because it is surprising that they can be parried
Quan chi- cannot parry low bat
Can parry ground burst with normal parry, can parry ex groundburst with two normal parrys
Jacqui- full auto projectile can be parried but you do not recover in time to block. There is a gap in ex full auto projectile, you can regular parry the overhead on block.
Tremor- Overhead rock projectile IS parryable
Predator- cannot parry low laser, cannot safely parry ex mid laser without taking a hit, no gap. Cannot parry trap
D'vorah- CAN parry silky,CAN parry ex wasp grenade CAN parry vortex swarm
CANNOT parry bug burst
Shinnok- CAN parry hellsparks, cannot parry necromancer projectiles
Erron- can parry sand toss and ex sand grenade
Takeda- cannot parry kunai, air spear, or blade call
Scorpion- CAN parry spear, cannot parry minion projectiles
Kitana- CAN parry lift
Liu Kang- can parry low fireball, CAN parry dualist sphere
Kenshi- cannot parry balanced ghosts, cannot parry possesed demons, cannot parry kenjutsu telekinetic moves

If I missed something let me know and I will alter this

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
notable finds
If your projectile isn't in this list it can be parried, some projectiles are in this list because it is surprising that they can be parried
Quan chi- cannot parry low bat
Can parry ground burst with normal parry, can parry ex groundburst with two normal parrys
Jacqui- full auto projectile can be parried but you do not recover in time to block. There is a gap in ex full auto projectile, you can regular parry the overhead on block.
Tremor- Overhead rock projectile IS parryable
Predator- cannot parry low laser, cannot safely parry ex mid laser without taking a hit, no gap. Cannot parry trap
D'vorah- CAN parry silky,CAN parry ex wasp grenade CAN parry vortex swarm
CANNOT parry bug burst
Shinnok- CAN parry hellsparks, cannot parry necromancer projectiles
Erron- can parry sand toss and ex sand grenade
Takeda- cannot parry kunai, air spear, or blade call
Scorpion- CAN parry spear, cannot parry minion projectiles
Kitana- CAN parry lift
Liu Kang- can parry low fireball, CAN parry dualist sphere
Kenshi- cannot parry balanced ghosts, cannot parry possesed demons, cannot parry kenjutsu telekinetic moves

If I missed something let me know and I will alter this
Did you test every projectile in the game?

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
The only characters that cannot be parried with their projectiles are Kenshi and Ferra/Torr. Any "phantom" projectile cannot be parried.
Ex rune is parriable. Quan Chi
Spear is parriable. Demons not parriable. Scorpion.
Grenade cannot be parried. The two drone projectiles can be parried, but not the kamikazes.
That's all i have now.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The only characters that cannot be parried with their projectiles are Kenshi and Ferra/Torr. Any "phantom" projectile cannot be parried.
Ex rune is parriable. Quan Chi
Spear is parriable. Demons not parriable. Scorpion.
Grenade cannot be parried. The two drone projectiles can be parried, but not the kamikazes.
That's all i have now.
when you say grenades do you mean sonya?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
@AK L0rdoftheFLY I'm testing more Cassie stuff for you.

So far, everything is EX parryable except:
-Low Missile, the EX tracking one can be though.
-Some of her gunshots from EX Guns, however Kotal can parry the first few but the final two don't hit.
-The American Way can't be parried. It either hits Kotal or whiffs completely. But I couldn't get Kotal to parry it.
-He can't parry her DBF2 command grab after F44, it whiffs for some reason

I'll keep updating this post if there's anything that he can't parry.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I don't know if it counts, but some moves that involve Ferra can't be parried because of her weird properties.

Like 4 2+4, he can't parry Ferra's karate kick.
b.3 2+4 he can't parry Ferra's jumping strike

Also apparently if you parry the first hit of our charge, we still push you along with us.

@AK L0rdoftheFLY
I demand an update. Pretty much anything that involved Ferra not being attached to our body (with the exception of b.23 2+4's ender) can't be parried.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
anything that he cannot parry from Kung Jin? I play my friend who is a kotal main all the time with KJ, so would like to know how to take his ass down :joker::joker::joker:

thx

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
It's worth noting that the bigger gaps [Cassie's B12(4) and Pred's B22(d2)] can be naked parried and punished. No Bar Necessary.
Just wait for that B12(4), throw naked parry, and punish

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
anything that he cannot parry from Kung Jin? I play my friend who is a kotal main all the time with KJ, so would like to know how to take his ass down :joker::joker::joker:

thx
I can parry arrows but i havn't tested all arrows or bow staff moves yet.

Is there any sort of consistency in this? So far it seems I will have to memorize all of these.
The projectiles are weird and some character have strange moves with unique properties. I mainly want to know if I can parry something or parry a string so I can practice and find ways to blow it up.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I can parry arrows but i havn't tested all arrows or bow staff moves yet.

The projectiles are weird and some character have strange moves with unique properties. I mainly want to know if I can parry something or parry a string so I can practice and find ways to blow it up.
Have u tested low and regular chakrams in shaolin?

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
Things that cannot be parried: Tremor's regular ground pulse and Crystalline projectile.
Aftershock's air quake an normal quake can be parried.