What's new

Tech - Lackey Overrun Tech against wakeup attacks

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
Hi everyone! This tech is actually a subcategory of the "torrvex" vortex setup I've shown in the thread. It's purpose is to defend and counter against some armored wake-ups.

But first, I 'd like to clarify that I consider these setups to be vortex because they begin from B, F3 and they end back to B, F3 thus the tech loops into itself and resets the tough situation upon your opponent, who will have to block correctly by mere guessing in order to escape, so long as you execute and maintain the setup. This is how I define the term "vortex" and I'm not the only one. To me, a setup going constantly full circle until the opponent blocks correctly out of luck, that is the factor defining it. Keeping the opponent standing isn't everything. Remember Scorpion's vortex from MK9? Opponents couldn't wake up but if they guessed right against his starters, they could punish Scorpion really hard. My point is that every setup has weaknesses. Torrvex cannot prevent wake-ups from happening, it can only deal with them as I will show momentarily, and have shown already for unarmored ones. A vortex that does keep opponents standing, may in return be severely punishable when the opponent blocks right, or it will have other weaknesses. However, Torr's F2 is safe and his B2 string is almost safe and can be block confirmed to omit the last hit, making it fully safe. In the end, one has every right to believe that not keeping opponents standing doesn't prohibit a tech from being a vortex nor does that make the tech less effective than the ones that do keep opponents standing. I would call it a wake-up setup if it didn't repeat itself.

So, as I have mentioned in the previous thread, after Torr Charge hits, it causes a hard knockdown that also allows you to run over the opponents until they recover from it.! This gives some options to mess with their wake-ups. For one, their inputs will be reversed while you run over them. I have dubbed this the "overrun setup". I have since seen that other players too had been checking this out, calling it "corpse run" or something. Overrun setup has many forms that have in common, well the overrun, the potential for defensive attack against wake-ups and the fact that if they suceed, they can loop by bringing opponent back into the Torrvex. Actually they are part of that same setup. Here are some;

1st uses crossover after overrun to make opponent target the wrong side.
2nd has D1 the fastest poke cancelled into B, F3 itself, in order to utilize its native free armor to defeat 1 hit armors, looping Torrvex while at it.
3rd shows that you can use D3 to interrupt many unarmored wake-ups, then use the frame advantage to attempt a starter.
The rest show standard starters after overrun has switched sides. This could prevent opponent from using a wake-up due to inputs becoming reversed during their execution. If they become accustomed to it, you can always do the starters from the first side, simply cancel run by pressing D. Come get some you nasty armored wake-ups!!;)

Last edited:

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I was in practice mode trying out the Torrvex with the jumpover crossups yesterday, and Ji2 was still not autocorrecting after ending a simple b232+4, f2, b32+4. Was I doing it wrong?

Parnak

Seems like the biggest issue would be delayed wake ups
There are no delayed wake-up attacks, just delayed recovery. If they delay you are not in danger, just re-input F2 or keep B2 string going, if B2 string's kick hits they still get launched.

Parnak

I was in practice mode trying out the Torrvex with the jumpover crossups yesterday, and Ji2 was still not autocorrecting after ending a simple b232+4, f2, b32+4. Was I doing it wrong?
You 're talking about B3, 2+4 setup? It has to be done as an ender somewhat late, just not so late that it whiffs. If done right it has you then even closer to the opponent. That setup wasn't really Torrvex, I came up with it while trying to find Torrvex. The real setup is the one that uses B, F3 Torr Charge, I found it the other day, it's the Breakthrough one, check it out!

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
You 're talking about B3, 2+4 setup? It has to be done as an ender somewhat late, just not so late that it whiffs. If done right it has you then even closer to the opponent. That setup wasn't really Torrvex, I came up with it while trying to find Torrvex. The real setup is the one that uses B, F3 Torr Charge, I found it the other day, it's the Breakthrough one, check it out!
I'm studying this video closely. Looking forward to trying it out later. Thanks!

Parnak

How many times can you loop it, ending a combo with 4, bf3 and then doing the overrun?
Unfortunately I always used infinite energy in practice. I guess two times would be it, then you need to loop with other Torrvex options (walk to F2, dash to B2, walk to Jip2 etc)