kotal kahn
jason
ferra/torr
shinnok
liu kang

C
goro
kitana

This is based on the overall character, not just the "best" variant. I think every tier except C is viable for a solo character main that can win a major. Winning a stacked tourney with solo Goro or Kitana is possible but extremely unlikely

I'll probably post my reasonings and overall thoughts for every character later on

Last edited:
S+
dvorah
erron black
raiden

S
quan chi
kung jin
cassie
scorpion
tanya* - early to tell but based on her tools this is where i'd would place her
kenshi

A
sonya
jax
johnny cage
sub-zero
ermac
jacqui
kung lao

B
reptile
takeda
kano
mileena
kotal kahn
jason
ferra/torr
shinnok
liu kang

C
goro
kitana

This is based on the overall character, not just the "best" variant. I think every tier except C is viable for a solo character main that can win a major. Winning a stacked tourney with solo Goro or Kitana is possible but extremely unlikely
Im sorry but what are those catagories

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Someone more knowledgable than me should take a crack at a variations tier list, I mean am I wrong in thinking that while D'Vorah is quite strong her brood mother variation is not as good as the other two? I'm sure a list that comprehensive would need multiple top players working on it together but it would be neat, a well thought out list could help new players select a character that gives them the best chance to win early on, if that's the route they choose.event hubs tier list sucks IMO

protools27

Rebel without a scene
You don't think that the tier list is reasonable or that we should do tier lists by variatiation? Dammit man be more specific!
I think it would be very difficult to come to a concise tier list for all the variations, as people already have a hard enough time agreeing on a traditional tier list. Plus at a competive level, most people playing a character are playing their bonafide best variation anyway.

Seems quite reasonable to be honest.
In my opinion Kenshi is definitely A tier but I'm still not sure if he deserves a spot in the S one.
Ferra\Thor are really strong maybe with time they'll go up?
Is the list in order btw? I should learn to read...

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
I think it would be very difficult to come to a concise tier list for all the variations, as people already have a hard enough time agreeing on a traditional tier list.
Yeah I do have to admit making a good tier list by variation would be a serious pain in the butt to do...any volunteers? :DOGE

LEGEND

YES!
Shinnok and Jax are laughably low on that list

can someone give me a serious argument on how Jax isn't top3 if not top1? A single weakness or potential bad mu?

He does everything the rest of the super top tier does, if not better.
-
I honestly don't think tiers are nescessary in this game. . .yet, Kinda agree with Kitana and goro having too many terrible mus to be solo viable, but everyone else is really good

There is too much going on in this game and it's going to be changing for awhile. Better to focus on what each character can do than trying to arbitrarily list them

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Shinnok and Jax are laughably low on that list

can someone give me a serious argument on how Jax isn't top3 if not top1? A single weakness or potential bad mu?

He does everything the rest of the super top tier does, if not better.
Don't know if it's just me or what, but low poking Jax seems to stop alot of his attacks clean in their tracks. Probably the main reason.

Last edited:

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Don't know if it's just me or what, but low poking Jax seems to stop alot of his attacks clean in their track. Probably the main reason.
That and his f21 string having a wonky hitbox for a mid. From what I heard if that was fixed he would be a lot better. I think you could make a case for him being in the S tier tho