What's new

Strategy - Reptile OFIDYAN's Reptile Matchup Thread

Featuring some of your favorite players! WoundCowboy, Alucard, Michaelangelo, Forever King, Perfect Legend, Jop, BoiToi, Digit, Perm, JagoBlake, and more!

I've been doing my best to try and learn some matchup's for MKX. I'm far from perfect when it comes to playing them, but I'm trying to learn just like everyone else. With this thread I hope we can figure some things out as a Reptile community. What characters you can throw Forceballs on, what characters you have to rushdown only, how to punish certain things, make reads on situations etc. Hopefully get into the deep thought process of how to approach each character in the game. This will be a living thread I'll continue to edit.

From the feel of this one Reptile can definitely zone a bit against Kotal. After Alucard and I played this matchup rather extensively, he said he feels like this might be in Reptile's favor overall. Reptile also has great punishes for War God, like Reptilian Dash for example. Kotal Kahn can't really full combo punish Klaw, so you can throw it out a bit more often if you're feeling like they may poke or start a string.

This is a matchup you definitely don't want to throw too many projectiles from full screen, you most likely wont win the zoning war against any variation. Staying on Quan is the general strategy of course, but with Reptile's mediocre pressure it will be difficult. Be sure to adjust your combos for Sorcerer Quan Chi because you don't want to bring him back into his armor circle if you do actually happen to hit him out of it. Basically against all variations you just have to keep being aggressive and mix him up repetitively.. just hope he doesn't hit you.

Most likely fighting against Raiden you will be facing the Thunder God variation, even though Digit has started to branch out and look at the advantages for certain matchups using the other variations, Thunder God will often be the pick for Reptile. There aren't really many holes in the play-style of a good Raiden, this is a character I believe can still win more majors. Watch for the Overhead! You can full combo punish it with 34~Noxious combos if they happen to mess up the OS which they will sometimes I promise! Also don't throw too many forceballs on a Raiden that knows the matchup. They will Superman through them and then kill you in the corner. I'm still trying to tell myself to stop doing it, but punishing a Superman read just feels so good.

Wound told me he feels like Boneshaper is probably best for Reptile. He said he doesn't like how Impostor steals such a terrible move aka forceball. This matchup is going to be tough, of course he can out zone Reptile, but a few well placed EX slides can go a long way. Hope you block the low scoop and you can full combo punish. I don't know much on this one yet. We didn't have much time to play it.

Toi Bridges is by far one of the best Jax player's I've ever fought and he also happens to be my training partner. The thing with Jax is you want to test his offensive with d3 pretty regularly because most likely the first hit is always a High, but it happens so fast. Jax's thing is he is medium/high risk, but always gets a very decent reward. You may see a lot of 123 (High, Mid, Low) or 12 cancelled into his 5 frame Overhead special move. There are plenty of other pressure options of course, but just be ready to do things after "The Briggs" if they aren't canceling into other specails, and don't be afraid to throw out a few EX Klaws after his plus frames.

Kung Lao is a solid Top Tier character, it feels like he always has been. He is beatable, but it is very difficult. You must watch for reckless spins and punish. Under pressure from Tempest attempt EX Klaws for the plus hat, and sometimes even do it after the plus hat. They may throw a high after being plus on hat and you can d3 if you want to take that risk, but sometimes just respect his pressure. Do not let Kung Lao's jump in on you for free, that is the main reason you'll be using your meter in this matchup.. EX Klaw. I still have much to learn for this one, but its a work in progress for sure.

This one is just kind of in here for fun. I don't have a whole lot of matchup exp in the mirror, and we didn't get much recorded. One thing that is entertaining to talk about is which variation does best? Noxious? Nimble? Deceptive? What sucks is all that mainly changes is offense, and not much for defense. Paulo might need to finish whatever they were trying to do with Reptile's variations in my opinion, but thats none of my business. Hope you enjoy dd3 and EX dd3 for your differences bois.

Johnny isn't huge on mixups, but beware! Jop and Mike will low poke you to death if you only block standing. This is a character heavily based on spacing and frame traps so yes EX Klaw is there to save the day, but you still have to use it sparingly. Don't use it so much to the point it becomes expected and then blocked! Watch for the low kick after the first two punches. Still much to learn in this one as well.

You get zoned, don't be too hard headed. Try not to jump often obviously because of incoming fans. EX Slide is a friend. I have much to learn on this one for sure. I don't see Kitana often, but when I visit Florida next time I'm gonna try to get some matches in with my boy @Kitana Prime, he'll show me everything I need to know I'm sure! :)

ShutUpAndBrawl's very own and fellow teammate @SUNB Perm has been showing me the ways of Kung Jin. He's a very solid character in all variations which I've seen from YOMI | Slayer as well. Mainly I fight against Ancestral, because Bojutsu has a lot of things Reptile can punish rather easily. You can't let Kung Jin jump too much on you so use EX Klaw when you can, but beware his ability to jump in attack and then immediately EX Dive Kick for the armor to open you up after Klaw hits his armor. His njp's are easy to punish/trip guard with Reptile's f2 if you play the proper spacing. Be very careful throwing projectiles, but absolutely don't test him if he has the blue arrow loaded, you will end up in an awful trade.

By far one of Reptile's hardest matchups. A good Sub-Zero will starve you from getting any meter, and of course Reptile needs his bars so it is going to be hard to put them to good use. EX Slide is okay, but it knocks the opponent away and then they can create another ice clone. You can not make trades once ice clone is securely out, you do not want to get frozen by an ice ball and then carried to the corner. Your best bet is to make reads on when they will clone in neutral and then use Acid Spit to take it down. If you happen to block the overhead (b2) from Sub-Zero I recommend EX Reptilian Dash if you have the bar, or at least do regular. You can punish his overhead with f4 from certain distances, but good Sub-Zero's will do it from max range making Reptilian Dash much more reliable. Stay on him, respect his wakeups, and do what ever you can to stay out of the corner!

Last edited:

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Appreciate the offers of matchup advice. Read them all but didn't watch any videos yet. Lui Kang and Sub Zero are the matchups I need advice in. They murder me in tournaments.

Appreciate the offers of matchup advice. Read them all but didn't watch any videos yet. Lui Kang and Sub Zero are the matchups I need advice in. They murder me in tournaments.
I'll get you the Liu Kang stuff soon. I didn't get a chance to play with Zyphox, but my brother Aya plays a really good Dragon's Fire. When he moves back from bama later in the fall we'll take that matchup apart!

Just posting some Sub-Zero now! Take a look!

TamedLizard

Buff George
Great stuff.

GM Sub is a real pain. Always on the lookout for that slide punish. Tables turn drastically if I can manage to swap him into the corner instead of me.

Face quite a few Tempests as Reptile, so I've been getting consistently better in that MU.

BS Shinnok is a killer though. :confused:

Don't have a lot of experience with a Sonya MU though, so I'll look forward to some tips on that. Covert presents a bit of a bigger problem than Demo though, as I'm pretty good about refusing to let Sonya re-up on grenades.

All in all, really appreciate this. Thanks!

Great stuff.

GM Sub is a real pain. Always on the lookout for that slide punish. Tables turn drastically if I can manage to swap him into the corner instead of me.

Face quite a few Tempests as Reptile, so I've been getting consistently better in that MU.

BS Shinnok is a killer though. :confused:

Don't have a lot of experience with a Sonya MU though, so I'll look forward to some tips on that. Covert presents a bit of a bigger problem than Demo though, as I'm pretty good about refusing to let Sonya re-up on grenades.

All in all, really appreciate this. Thanks!
Thanks man. This guide is gonna be hella extensive soon. I'm gonna do more than just a quick thought on the matchup. I'll be listing the in and outs of correct punishes, what to do about certain wakeups and more. Just wanted to get started and let you guys see some of my footage.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Thanks man. This guide is gonna be hella extensive soon. I'm gonna do more than just a quick thought on the matchup. I'll be listing the in and outs of correct punishes, what to do about certain wakeups and more. Just wanted to get started and let you guys see some of my footage.
Seriously can't wait! :)

In the Shinnok matchup I noticed you did 141 in the corner is there a reason for that? Doesn't it have a gap in the combo? Or does it not because of the corner. Really great matches keep up the good work homie.

Xev

Noob
141 does have a gap, people just aren't really doing anything about them. I say abuse that shit if they aren't.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
@OFIDYAN I can help out with learning the balanced kenshi MU, I'm also learning ninjutsu scorpion and lasher Takeda (lasher is insanely under rated BTW) so I can help out with Match ups as well.

In the Shinnok matchup I noticed you did 141 in the corner is there a reason for that? Doesn't it have a gap in the combo? Or does it not because of the corner. Really great matches keep up the good work homie.
141 does have a gap in it as a block string if you want to armor out, but most people won't so then you can stay a little plus.

141 in a combo is now a little more damaging since the patch :)

Thanks again bro, I'll do my best to get more matchups in here and hopefully a good amount of them will be offline matches with pro players. We'll see what the next tournament I can go to will be and I'll capture as much as I can again

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
Very good thread. Just a question why you and many of reptiles do never use 2,4 ender? I know that reptile sacrifice some damage but there are to many options, for example after 2,4 Rdash, to cross up, 50/50, throw, block string or the same but after using 2,4 Rdash x2, it's really a mind fuck, I made a hole video on youtube for this ender

Also B3 xxx EX Claw is a good option to break an armor WU move

Looking for more MU against Shinnok especially impostor ( hate his teleport ), Tanya Kobu Jitsu, KL, and SZ GM, think it's the worst reptile MU's

Last edited:

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf

Hoping this video works! This is a bad example because I know @AoK Ryan doesn't main Reptile, but there are certain set-ups in the match we play that are niiiiiice for Imposter. It's the very last match of the set if you wanna see what I mean!

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
I agree with Kotal MU. Not being able to punish the claw is a big deal and force balls regulate his movement a lot. Good post.

Badass @ArmedCalf I see you! that setup was sick! That comeback tho!! Add me on skype bro: OFIDYAN

@DOOMSDAY-15RUS- Thanks man I do know about the corner combos that can end in d3~slide. I actually have some versions of my own that are not in that video if you want to check out my YouTube. Thing is.. when playing the Yomi guys I hadn't practiced those combos enough.
To answer your other question.. you are talking about 14 right? The hard knockdown? I used to do it early game if you watch some of my matches all the way from back in April or May, but I guess I just kind of stopped because of the damage loss. It definitely messes people's wakeups up a lot. HKD to Reptilian Dash then jumping over is awesome. I may try it more at the Epic Gaming Lounge tourney tonight. Just doing Reptilian Dash over them in general throughs people off. Sometimes my opponents get used to me doing it and then wakeup incorrectly because I end up slightly stepping back then dashing so I don't cross over (pretty tricky stuff)

Hey @OFIDYAN do you have any tips for noxious or newly buffed deceptive reptile vs flame fist liu kang?
I'll hit you with more info on this later this month when one of the best Liu's I've ever played moves back to Dallas. I will tell you now though that it is a guessing game after the windmill punches.

What they do..

Windmill Punches~Counter
Or
Windmill Punches~Backhand Punch thing

Okay so yes sometimes they Windmill into activating the trait, but you can poke there easily as long as they don't use meter on activation. Sometimes they shoot a low fireball at the end of them as well. That prevents you from just jumping out, but once again is a risk on their part because if blocked that's full combo punishable.

The Counter you can punish as soon as you see it with a low attack because it doesn't counter lows.

If they consistently go into the backhand punch thing you just need to start armoring right before that punch comes out (right after the last windmill punch)

It's gonna be a little tough until you start outplaying them throughout your sets. Liu can outzone you. I highly recommend ex slide through his low fireballs so you can get in without jumping. A good Liu wants you to jump right into his space so he can trip guard or start up the pressure on you.

Basically stay on him and go for b34 very often on knockdowns, it'll blow up his wakeup options. I'll have a lot more to tell you on Deceptive later! It's so good. I'm still working with it :)

TamedLizard

Buff George
I'll have a lot more to tell you on Deceptive later! It's so good. I'm still working with it :)
Really looking forward to it. I feel like there's still a lot I need to learn and that I'm not fully utilizing all my tools in certain MUs. Have really come to enjoy Deceptive, but still having a bit of trouble figuring out when I should be doing ex Invis as a parry. Seem to get blown up the majority of the time.

Also, these were great tips against FF Liu. He's probably the only character that nullifies my armored Klaw and his parry is irritating lol.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Some Cassie advice would be nice.
This is a rough match up because flipkick can punish a bunch of stuff that's usually safe. B34, f412, and claw swipe all get combo punished.
I try to zone a lot, use f21 when she's trying to get in, and go for lots of throws in my pressure. Up close you can't go for f412~swipe on block every time, so mix up between f41, f412, and f412~swipe to discourage her from punishing

She has a couple strings that are unsafe on block against ex-slide. I dunno their notation off the top of my head but it's worth going into practice mode to look at (the high, low, mid, mid, overhead string is punishable, some Cassie's use that a lot)