What's new

Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Scorp has it, Kabal has it, Jade has it. Tbh almost every char has an animation in which they use their weapon for combo. Why not Nightwolf.
Yeah this is an idea Ive been bouncing around and throwing out suggestions but they are sort of last to be done things because they might change the game too much. We'll see how players respond to a couple and if it's necessary too add more

umk_p1

Noob
It'd be funny to make Nightwolf's regular axe not use the animation with the green fire and have the combo'd version use it, or some kind of combination of that idea.
what about 5-6 different colors for NW's axe everytime appearing randomly, would be cool, probably every nw player will become some sort of gambler trying to predict the color of the next axe:cool:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
what about 5-6 different colors for NW's axe everytime appearing randomly, would be cool, probably every nw player will become some sort of gambler trying to predict the color of the next axe:cool:
I do like that idea, green, red, white and blue, or maybe yellow blue and red for Colombia and Venezuela.

nwo

Noob
I do like that idea, green, red, white and blue, or maybe yellow blue and red for Colombia and Venezuela.
Is he still allowed to do this?

It would be COOL if it changed colors only when landing consecutive axes.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Is he still allowed to do this?

It would be COOL if it changed colors only when landing consecutive axes.
Yeah he can, I just got 9 myself with the HK and it was only 57% heh. 10 would be like 60% vs 81% there

nwo

Noob
Yeah he can, I just got 9 myself with the HK and it was only 57% heh. 10 would be like 60% vs 81% there
Well what if it changed colors each time you landed the axe? Like a rainbow. Or what if it gradually changed from green to red flames? LOL

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
You can still double run jab, then cancel the second jab with block. And kara jabs are still in, so you can still hold down + back while kara jabbing, you just can't hold down block while doing multiple jabs in place.
Thank Raiden... I was confused at the beggining. I won't say anything about glitch jabs since this is only a hack and it would be pointless to keep the debate going.

@Konqrr what do you mean by "ridiculous" stuff with Reptile after a dash whiff?

Also, with all due respect, it seems very lame to me "classic-unmasked subzero" transformation ala human smoke... also to go back from human to robot? isn't this version supposed to be TOURNAMENT edition? what's the point of that?

lol @Shock "maybe yellow blue and red for Colombia and Venezuela."

Overall, most of the changes look interesting. Some of them, really wierd IMO. And I'm really glad they ditched some ideas I read on FB at the beggining (no air throw for human smoke, Sonya's bike kick punish mode ala Liu's bike kick...)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@NinjaGrinder

Liu can still be punished on the bike kick, regardless of what animation he's in.
I don't think Sonya needs to be punishable off her bike kick but it is definitely a weird reaction when it's blocked.
Smoke will still probably lose the air throw.
All characters will be selectable on the select screen without Smoke codes eventually. The Smoke codes will likely then be removed.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nerfing/limiting the damage or w/e is fine. But taking out a move completely is too much.
Yeah I have to agree. This is a problem I have with companies like NRS who "balance" the game. Nerfing a character shouldn't involve taking away options, if the amount of options isn't why the character is broken. Smoke is top tier because of his damage output compared to the rest of the cast, and how easily he can achieve getting his damage. An appropriate nerf would be his damage output getting reduced, because that's why he's the #2 character. Slightly nerfing his walkspeed is also warranted, as his normal walkspeed is the fastest in the game. But taking away options unnecessarily pushes the game in a linear direction, and forces you to basically play a certain way with a character you didn't have to otherwise.

Even as broken as Kabal is, he shouldn't lose his options. He should have them reduced to not be as effective, but not completely take them away. Such as his spin, making it slower and have more recovery. You're not taking away his move, but it's also not useless. It's just not a game breaking move anymore, which is how I believe they should treat Smoke's air throw, and similarly the rest of the cast.

@Shock @Konqrr

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Taking moves away is a bit too much. I agree with all post above against it.

btw, isin't the JK air throw damage counted as separate? Maybe the hacker could run a code that the air throw damage should count inside hit combos so that it would scale during high damaging combos.

Same way as Ermac Telekinetic Slam should count as a valid hit in combos.

Noob
First and foremost, @NinjaGrinder, I respect you bro, but regarding gj's, I will only say this: With them, the game is stagnant and worse yet, DEAD. Without them, people will play again, and isn't that more important?

@Shock and @Konqrr Please refer the hacker to this page of the thread before they handle H.Smoke.

First, I will be fair here, ALL of us who are now pissing and moaning about H.Smoke need to step back and ask, "Are we complaining now because OUR character is getting nerfed?"
It was ok when Kabal got nerfed, right? Now H.Smoke is getting the nerf bat and we're all up in arms...maybe that says something about us relying too much on a character that can beat you in 2 mistakes.

That said, I completely disagree with totally changing H.Smoke and any of his moveset. My reasoning is because in UMK3, H.Smoke and Scorpion played ENTIRELY differently. Now from what I read in all these changes in UMK3TE, Scorpion is a much better character and still plays nothing like UMK3 Smoke.

Now the hacker is considering drastically changing H.Smoke as well according to Shock and Konqrr. What this means is that now we currently have 2 entirely different playing characters(who share similar specials), with entirely different strategies, and one of them (Scorpion) has potentially drastically risen up the viability list. Why bother to completely change the other character(H.Smoke) and COMPLETELY remove an entire playstyle that was already unique? By doing so, H.Smoke not only (as mentioned by @AK Juggs ) loses his options, which shouldn't be the intention of a balance, but he becomes an entirely different character. Without his air throw, his reduced amount of hits before spear, etc, this is an entirely different character, and needlessly so. Ultimately, the character that is removed(Old H.Smoke) is already a distinct character from New Scorpion AND New H.Smoke, and by removing OH.Smoke, you leave one character completely on the cutting room floor that would have been distinctly different from the other two(New H.Smoke, Old H.Smoke and New Scorpion)

I would recommend that H.Smoke's nerfs revolve around his walk speed, reduced amount of hits before spear OR double DP on TP used in his standard BnB combo(but keep spear hit limit at 4), and overall damage nerf so that it takes more like 3-4 mistakes to kill. The only other option would be to potentially decrease the timer on his spear so that he could do 2hit Popup, RH, Spear, 3 hit popup, aaHP, JK, airthrow.

Alternatively, if you want to still leave in a "Smoke Transformation" code, then maybe have O.HSmoke and N.HSmoke. NHS selectable via the main character select screen and OHS selectable via transfomation code through robo-smoke, similar to the old versions of characters in SSF2T, and limit them via damage nerf.

Just food for thought. I could just be an idiot though, LOL.

dubson

Noob
How can people complain about H Smoke losing Air Throw or being Nerfed? He is way too fucking good.

Fastest walk speed, mind numbingly easy 50% combo, and you people Main him. LOL.

Try maining a character like Nightwolf or Kitana and come back. People want to Main the Easiest and Best character in the game, ridiculous.

As is he rapes basically every character in the game without even barely breaking a sweat, would you people prefer a more balanced game. He needs to be dealt with. Dude is practically Noob Saibot…

Get him out….

@9.95 While I don't disagree entirely, I don't think anyone would ever pick New Human Smoke, if he was an option.
Yes, human Smoke is my main, and yes, I knew the nerf bat was coming. The exception I take is that no other character has had a move entirely ripped out. Some moves have been buffed and nerfed, but ALL I see is the nerf bat applied to H Smoke the way Ray got it from the cops in Trailer Park boys.

Walking speed nerf. OK.
Lower damage. OK.
Decrease spear hit limit... ehhhhh OK.
Remove air throw? Too far.

Take away Kabal's air fireball, fireball blades (heh), his grounded fireball, one of his popups, whatever - I'm sure people would gripe. I barely use him and I would gripe.

I don't see any other characters losing moves in this balance hack. I see some balancing, and a sub zero going from trash to treasure. I get that part of this is to bring back interest, but "hey there's ten thousand human smoke mains, let's turn him into a nerf statue so everyone will choose a new main" doesn't jive with me.

Noob
How can people complain about H Smoke losing Air Throw or being Nerfed? He is way too fucking good.

Fastest walk speed, mind numbingly easy 50% combo, and you people Main him. LOL.

Try maining a character like Nightwolf or Kitana and come back. People want to Main the Easiest and Best character in the game, ridiculous.

As is he rapes basically every character in the game without even barely breaking a sweat, would you people prefer a more balanced game. He needs to be dealt with. Dude is practically Noob Saibot…

Get him out….
That's every fg in history. I don't care about him getting a damage nerf and having to force more mistakes, but his PLAY style is what I'm concerned about. He's simply fun to play. Remember, I mained Scorpion in MK2, and he's terrible! I think nerfing his damage would be the best so that he has to work MORE to get the job done.

Get him out….
What if instead of P1 and P2 Sektor both having the ability to fire dumb missiles while smart missiles are out, NEITHER could?

Nightwolf is my #4 behind H Smoke, Ermac, and Sindel. So....hyeah.

I don't care about forcing mistakes, high damage, etc. I've said since almost the beginning EVERY character should take boss damage. 2 mistakes (and sometimes one if you get stuck in a corner vs ermac) should not end a round. It's a fast paced game, but it's still over too quickly sometimes.

Noob
@9.95 While I don't disagree entirely, I don't think anyone would ever pick New Human Smoke, if he was an option.
Yes, human Smoke is my main, and yes, I knew the nerf bat was coming. The exception I take is that no other character has had a move entirely ripped out. Some moves have been buffed and nerfed, but ALL I see is the nerf bat applied to H Smoke the way Ray got it from the cops in Trailer Park boys.

Walking speed nerf. OK.
Lower damage. OK.
Decrease spear hit limit... ehhhhh OK.
Remove air throw? Too far.

Take away Kabal's air fireball, fireball blades (heh), his grounded fireball, one of his popups, whatever - I'm sure people would gripe. I barely use him and I would gripe.

I don't see any other characters losing moves in this balance hack. I see some balancing, and a sub zero going from trash to treasure. I get that part of this is to bring back interest, but "hey there's ten thousand human smoke mains, let's turn him into a nerf statue so everyone will choose a new main" doesn't jive with me.

I still don't like the decreased spear hit limit. Too many of his swag combos disappear, LOL. (2 hit popup, RH, tp, spear... my fav swag combo) and again, he still becomes a very different character with only 3 hits before spear instead of 4.

dubson

Noob
Kung Lao should have been buffed, but let's be clear here. Removing a characters ability to infinite you isn't necessarily a nerf, it's more of a patch. Lao's infinite in no way is what makes him good. He needs buffs to his teleport and hat throw, less recovery on dive kick, etc.

It is a huge Nerf bro…

I am going to be completely honest, I think his infinite was the only thing that made him competitive… He just cannot hang without it.

Great Kung Lao players that lack the ability to infinite or generate decent corner combo damage off a spin with him lack any chance against even some of the worst characters in the game IMO.

I honestly think the infinite is the only reason he is as good as he is. I think he is almost Horrible without its potential.