What's new

Official UMK3 SHang Tsung Thread

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I been thinking about this and despite his unpopularity and low placement on the tier list I have seen some insanely ridiculous Shangs (who happens to be my worst of the 26). I guess it depends on who is using him and who they are best with, but none-the-less I feel Shang can be top tier or bottom tier at any point in time. This thread is here because I think he is the least used and least known character as far as depth is concerned and has almost limitless possibilities. IMO, a full guide to Shang would rival half the cast combined and so I felt he should just have his own easy-to-find thread dedicated solely for Shang-lovers or people who want to learn him better.

I will constantly update and add things to this thread, but mainly what I'm looking for is alot of videos since we can all read what is written, but watching alot of his insane morph combos proves to make learning them much easier. Any advice and input is appreciated and is not restricted to videos, but I am also hoping to see some totally new stuff that maybe popped up recently or isn't listed or archived anywhere, so feel free to make vids specifically for this thread as well. I will do my best to try and find the ones available for now.

Here's a great one to start it off from our friend in Colombia, NinjaGrinder himself:
Not sure who exactly this guy is, but I have seen him do alot of sick Shang vids before:
And as always, crazy shit from Ded

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Shang is ass. The combo vids you posted are extremely situational combos and you'll almost never see them in a real match. Even landing his ground eruption on anyone will rarely happen, even at average levels of play. Having the possibility of combos only matters if those combos are practical. Despite this though, he can't really morph safely all the time. He has to be full screen, after a knock down, or some other situation where he can safely morph. The bigger problem is morphing back into Shang. You can get rushed hard AND punished while Shang is trying to de-morph. The recovery is just too much, and if you're hitting Shang while he's trying to de-morph, it won't let him morph back causing easy trap set-ups.

The only plus of Shang is that he's hard to juggle. Which is a pretty good characteristic in a lot of match-ups.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Shang is ass. The combo vids you posted are extremely situational combos and you'll almost never see them in a real match. Even landing his ground eruption on anyone will rarely happen, even at average levels of play. Having the possibility of combos only matters if those combos are practical. Despite this though, he can't really morph safely all the time. He has to be full screen, after a knock down, or some other situation where he can safely morph. The bigger problem is morphing back into Shang. You can get rushed hard AND punished while Shang is trying to de-morph. The recovery is just too much, and if you're hitting Shang while he's trying to de-morph, it won't let him morph back causing easy trap set-ups.

The only plus of Shang is that he's hard to juggle. Which is a pretty good characteristic in a lot of match-ups.
Then in that case, I found a Shang vid just for you:

Wait Ded = Ramzanook?>?>>?????

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Shang is the worst in UMK3. Do i really gotta sticky this, Eric? lol
Well yea, but it would appear I gotta find some more vids to show how truly disgusting he can be if u know what you're doing w/ him. IMO, no character in the game suck totally, Shang least of all. You ever wonder where he would place on the tier list after averaging in the amount of possible combos and the ones that can be used practically to give him more of an edge?

He only has Fireball specials, but his normals...uppercut, s.HK, JK are among some of the better ones in UMK3. I still think he has thes #1 JK, period but it's debatable.

I thought Ded was MKSecrets, but this says by ErrorMakro
I still gotta go thru it and pic out the ones that won't work on arcade since he did it on SNES, obviously anything w/ Noob or Rain isn't viable.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Thx for posting the vids, Arez (Y)

I love the character but he struggles too much to get in. His normals are good, yeah. His throw doesn't leave you too close or too far and his full auto combo with a jp does a fair amount of damage. Hard to juggle as Juggs said but idk, it's just too hard winning with him. And the whole de-morphing thing? painfully true

I'd like him even more if he could morph in robot smoke in the arcade!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Despite the flaws I mentioned with Shang, he also can't kara jab very well. Every time I try to kara jab I morph into that bitch Sonya... and you can't kara jab with her either or you'll get her leg grab... IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE!

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Despite the flaws I mentioned with Shang, he also can't kara jab very well. Every time I try to kara jab I morph into that bitch Sonya... and you can't kara jab with her either or you'll get her leg grab... IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE!

LMAO.....sounds like the game is trying to tell you something about kara-jabbing. Sonya's run-jabs are so good she doesnt need kara-jabbing anyway :p Don't forget GJs w/ Ermac, H Smoke and Scorpion (Kitana too)....that's always fun to try.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
LMAO...yea im sure it has nothing to do with the game doing what it's supposed to do while you're playing in a way it wasn't intended. Irony. :)
"Video games, like all software, have bugs. Even non-computerized games can have interactions the designers did not intend. If an expert does anything he can to win, then does he exploit bugs in the game? The answer is a resounding yes. The player cannot be bothered to interpret the will of the game designer as far as which moves are “fair” and which moves are not, or which moves were intended and which moves weren’t. It’s irrelevant anyway. The player knows only moves that lead to winning and moves that don’t."

Read that, educate yourself. :) http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/how-far-should-you-go-to-win.html

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
"Video games, like all software, have bugs. Even non-computerized games can have interactions the designers did not intend. If an expert does anything he can to win, then does he exploit bugs in the game? The answer is a resounding yes. The player cannot be bothered to interpret the will of the game designer as far as which moves are “fair” and which moves are not, or which moves were intended and which moves weren’t. It’s irrelevant anyway. The player knows only moves that lead to winning and moves that don’t."

Read that, educate yourself. :) http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/how-far-should-you-go-to-win.html
LOL u say it like I havent read it a million times already. Nothing will change my view on that though...i was just pointing out how the game is trying to tell you it's not meant for that type of stuff. Imagine if games could talk ....lol