What's new

Official Pre-EVO 2012 Mortal Kombat Tier List

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
This list is like way too spread out, it's treating itself like a bigass KoF tier list. It should be more like this:

S+ - Kabal, Sonya
S - Kenshi, Jax, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage
A - Freddy Krueger, Smoke, Kitana, Cyrax, Raiden, Skarlet, Rain
B - Reptile, Shang Tsung, Sub-Zero, Sektor, Liu Kang, Ermac, Quan Chi, Mileena, Jade
C - Cyber Sub-Zero, Nightwolf, Sindel, Sheeva, Scorpion, Baraka, Stryker, Noob Saibot
D - Kano

You could make an argument for Kano to be at the bottom of C, but as a former disgruntled user of him I know how lacking this character is.

If I wasn't deeply in love with Sektor, I would main Rain and drop everyone else.
Cool character concept, great moves, highest meterless damage in the game, best armor, good footsies(idk where people get this bad footsies from). Complicated character so people cant just pick up and play.

He has a couple glaring holes like 43~RH being stuffed by certain characters d3 and and being armored through and him getting outzoned cuz he doesn't have a projectile that can trade or a safe tele, but their are ways to play around them.

For istance, doing 43~ExRh or just doing 4~roundhouse to mix it up and making good reads to make the tele safe. Also random fact....water bubble is really good against kabal...
He does have the most pathetic projectile though.

'Oh no! Someone just shot a small stream of water at me and soaked me a bit'.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
You can't make a tier list just based on guessing where he character goes. You need the proper data which hasn't been compiled yet b/c half of us can't agree on whether were doing a whole number system ***cough cough which is stupid and pointless cough cough*** or a .5 mu system.
apparently it was said a day or so ago the whole number system is now being used,
even though more people voted for the .5s???
guessing thats cause a few people made very clear .5s cant exist in there opinion, dont agree with that personally

IKizzLE

BloodHound
He does have the most pathetic projectile though.

'Oh no! Someone just shot a small stream of water at me and soaked me a bit'.
His water stream is actually pretty good, its like a safe flamethrower just without the duration or range and its not good for anti-airs. But its great against advancing players like JC

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
I mostly agree. However, I don't think Skarlet is quite that good, and I think Nightwolf is better than people know. Also, I think Kitana is a bit better than A, especially if Lao is considered A.

It'd be interesting to hear why you say otherwise, REO.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
His water stream is actually pretty good, its like a safe flamethrower just without the duration or range. Great against JC
Waterthrower doesn't have near the hurtbox flamethrower has. When Rain came out I was excited to be playing another character that had flamethrower... but alas.

I wonder how OP Rain could be if they gave him a basic projectile like rings or missile.

I agree with this tier list, except for 2 points IMO:

Switch Cage and Jax. Cage should be S, Jax probably A+.

Put Kano in C. No D Class. Kano is just as good as any of those 5 C characters, and I actually think he's better than Scorpion. At least better footsies.

I absolutely think that Millena should be higher than Sub-Zero on this tier list. She should be at the top of the B+ tier at the least. I also think that Rain should switch places with Liu Kang or Sektor. Also scorpion needs to be right behind Quan Chi on this list, there's no reason he's not better than Sheeva...

My Changes:
S+ - Kabal
S - Sonya, Jax, Kenshi (Sonya and Jax Interchangeable)
A+ - Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Kitana (Lao and Cage interchangeable)
A - Smoke, Freddy Krueger, Cyrax
A- - Raiden, Skarlet, Sektor, Reptile, Shang Tsung
B+ -Liu Kang, Mileena, Sub-Zero, Rain, Ermac
B - Quan Chi, Scorpion, Night Wolf
C+ - Cyber Sub-Zero, Sindel, Jade
C - Stryker, Noob Saibot, Sheeva Baraka
D - Kano

Death

Noob
S+ - Kabal
S - Kenshi, Sonya, Cage
A+ - KL, Freddy, Kitana, Jax, Smoke
A - Sektor, Mileena, Raiden, Reptile, Skarlet, Cyrax, Sub-Zero, Rain, Liu Kang
B - Shang, Sindel, Ermac, CSZ, Quan Chi
C - Jade, Noob, Stryker, NW, Scorpion
D - Kano, Baraka, Sheeva

Looks similar REO except for a few changes

GlobalThreat

Skarlet, Sub-Zero, Smoke (PSN: gLoBaL_ThReAT-_-)
Skarlet should definitely be A or A+ tier, she just has too many tools, mix-ups, and GREAT damage to only be A-, also I didn't know Nightwolf was that low lol

1man3letters

S+ - Kabal
S - Kenshi, Sonya, Cage
A+ - KL, Freddy, Kitana, Jax, Smoke
A - Sektor, Mileena, Raiden, Reptile, Skarlet, Cyrax, Sub-Zero, Rain, Liu Kang
B - Shang, Sindel, Ermac, CSZ, Quan Chi
C - Jade, Noob, Stryker, NW, Scorpion
D - Kano, Baraka, Sheeva

Looks similar REO except for a few changes
finally someone who thinks kang is good!

nice list there death,if u moved both mileena and sub zero down one set and baraka and sheeva up one set, thats my pretty much my list then

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I agree with REO's list with the only questionable thing being Jax. I think he could just be A+, but otherwise this represents exactly my thoughts.

And guys please stop overrating Skarlet... yeah she's good, I've known this since people were still saying she sucked, but she's really just "good". Not A+ tier or anything.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
ugh i hate that Scorpion is that low, but deep down in my heart i now that its true =[ Scorpion, youre reckless. Vengence has clouded your judgement! every time you throw that spear of yours, and people duck it, you gotta accept that it missed and move on. instead of fucking standing there, arm extended, spear long gone, just begging to have your teeth kicked in.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I agree with REO's list with the only questionable thing being Jax. I think he could just be A+, but otherwise this represents exactly my thoughts.

And guys please stop overrating Skarlet... yeah she's good, I've known this since people were still saying she sucked, but she's really just "good". Not A+ tier or anything.
I'd like to know who the people who say Skarlet is overrated have played against offline to get the opinion that she's overrated?

I haven't seen a single person play her anywhere near her potential (me included), which is what makes me curious.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

"top tier" doesnt mean one of the best players mains. it means least bad matchups.
i main reptile mileena and shang tsung and i am always happy if my opponent picks kabal he is the easiest person for me to beat. reptile and shang can outzone him while mileena is just mileena way above B-. Kano is the most annoying to fight. he has no miracle tools but very good simple ones. there is no way he is the worst. As much as i love sheeva her normals are too damn slow and i would place her at the bottom

There's no such thing as S+ or S-.

'S' is used specifically in a tier list of letters to denote 'God tier' or a tier of over-powered broken characters that others can't reasonably compete with.

Rarely someone might use SS to denote a character above that which is past broken into having programming flaws that make it instantly ban-worthy but there is nothing like that in MK9. And there probably never will be again in modern gaming for any length of time due to patching and updating etc.

There are really no God tier characters in MK9, nothing worthy of being called 'S'.

There are probably 3 tiers - good, average and lacking

Good

Kabal, Kenshi, Kung Lao, Freddy, Kitana, Jax, Smoke, Cyrax, Cage

Average

Sektor, Sonya, Mileena, Raiden, Reptile, Skarlet, Sub-Zero, Rain, Liu Kang, Shang, Sindel, Ermac, CSZ, Quan Chi, Noob, Scorpion, Nightwolf,

Lacking

Jade, Stryker, Kano, Baraka, Sheeva

Your tournament winners will mostly come from the good, the odd one may come from the average, plus some of the average ones may have undiscovered tech that elevates them.

The lacking ones can still probably beat half the cast but they don't really have enough to beat the top guys.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

'S' is used specifically in a tier list of letters to denote 'God tier' or a tier of over-powered broken characters that others can't reasonably compete with.

Rarely someone might use SS to denote a character above that which is past broken into having programming flaws that make it instantly ban-worthy but there is nothing like that in MK9. And there probably never will be again in modern gaming for any length of time due to patching and updating etc.

There are really no God tier characters in MK9, nothing worthy of being called 'S'.

Good

Average

Sektor, Sonya, Mileena, Raiden, Reptile, Skarlet, Sub-Zero, Rain, Liu Kang, Shang, Sindel, Ermac, CSZ, Quan Chi, Noob, Scorpion, Nightwolf,

Lacking

Your tournament winners will mostly come from the good, the odd one may come from the average, plus some of the average ones may have undiscovered tech that elevates them.

The lacking ones can still probably beat half the cast but they don't really have enough to beat the top guys.
I really like this.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)

Good

Average

Lacking

sektor wins two majors in the same weekend, and thats just the "odd one from the average"? and idk how you can also call Sonya average, that character is amazing.

Good

Average

Lacking

move secktor and rain to good, and move stryker and sheeva to average. Perfect list. Oh yeah, and sonya. wtf. How can you put characters like cyrax,kitana,and cage in "good" when sonya is in "average".

Hitoshura

Head Cage
apparently it was said a day or so ago the whole number system is now being used,
even though more people voted for the .5s???
guessing thats cause a few people made very clear .5s cant exist in there opinion, dont agree with that personally
Wow....just wow. Count my mu chart out then b/c I have a bunch of .5's and I refuse to change it just b/c people can't comprehend why the .5 system is actually useful.

Death

Noob

Good

Average

Lacking

Sonya in the same tier as Scorpion. Nice :)

1man3letters

Wow....just wow. Count my mu chart out then b/c I have a bunch of .5's and I refuse to change it just b/c people can't comprehend why the .5 system is actually useful.
yea i have a few .5s in the raka one also,
i believe the .5 system tells a more accurate story of a MU