What's new

Official MK9 Community Matchup Chart

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I dont think the Baraka matchup is 6-4 Ketchup, like Somecubanguy said:

Not to mention the fact that TU is punishable by full combo on block
Again you have to assume that zoning is done perfectly, i wouldnt do a flamethrower against baraka from that distance, id go for a B1 instead which cant be punished and knocks full screen.

Not to mention why would you ever do a naked teleport punch against baraka anyway lol.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Slips you need to compare nightwolf to scorpion not each character to the rest of the cast and then say "hmm scorp looks better on paper so it's 6-4 scorp favor"

Let's look at the Mach up of Scorp vs Nightwolf:

Scorp gets reset with spear into mixup...nightwolf gets knockdown into eh lightining setup. Seems pretty similar...the only thing here is that it burks one meter for nightwolf to do it...however the damage is much much higher for nightwolf with his rests so I say that's about even.

Spear and shoulder are nothing alike. You shouldnt compare those moves like they are similar. One knocks down for mixup...the other combos, no similarities except that they are both high...lol

So...if im smart with shoulder I can punish spear on reaction for knockdown eh lightning trap. I don't need lightning to win just like scorp doesn't need fire to win. My normals are better than scorps and space me perfectly.

Nw does best at jump distance or sweep distance due to range of shoulder, axe, and b2. Nw controls all that screen. Nw doesn't need to jump at scorp to win either...you have d1 as AA and I have standing 1 and axe.

You can punish my shoulder with....nothing on block. You have to duck it meaning your playing my game and I can lightning and approach safely(almost).

The point is, nw is NOT 6-4 vs scorp. Scorp is great character but he doesn't have any advantage that nw can't get around for a 5-5 matchup.
NW bullies Scorpion in the corner... I think he beats Scorp 6-4 because of your reasons and because NW will on average deal out more damage.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
LOTF: As you remember, I played NW originally at game release and w/Scorpions fire, can't he take NW out of his element? Also, which normals do you think NW has that are better than Scorpions? I think Scorpions 11 series is fantastic. NW's F31 is good only at point blank range. Scorpions D4 is one of the best in the game. Both chars can hit like a truck. Sure, NW can punish Spear but what smart scorpion is just going to throw it out? Granted, no smart NW player will spam shoulder either. I think minus lightning, Scorpion can do everything NW wants but better in this matchup.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
My 1, f3, d3 1221 mixups pressure just as well as scorps moves but my 1221 on block or hit gives me mixup opportunities. My f3 beats d1 and d4 if timed right...having f3 automatically gives nightwolf an advantage up close. Not to mention I build meter like crazy(just like scorp...I'm not even asking for 6-4 nw, I'm asking for 5-5.

Scorp doesn't do anything "better" than nw. They both have good rushdown, but nw can zone better I think too. But scorp can get in easier with eh tele(unless I uppercut it). 5-5 or I'm going home...and I'm taking my ball with me!

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Again you have to assume that zoning is done perfectly, i wouldnt do a flamethrower against baraka from that distance, id go for a B1 instead which cant be punished and knocks full screen.

Not to mention why would you ever do a naked teleport punch against baraka anyway lol.
Yeah, except Baraka can just backdash and whiff punish with Blade Rush (which covers both B1 and Flamethrower). Not to mention Blade Spin beats B1 cleanly. Sektor also lacks an armor move to let him escape frame traps. And Sektor has no way to punish Blade Rush if it's blocked from a distance

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Raiman

Noob
so how does this thing work when there are conflicting tournament player views. like bwizz says mileena is a 6-4 matchup for raiden while a mileena player says its a 7-3. also i saw a tournament baraka say raiden is a 7-3 while a different baraka says its a 5-5. witch one will be in the final matchup chart?

B W1zZ

Noob
so how does this thing work when there are conflicting tournament player views. like bwizz says mileena is a 6-4 matchup for raiden while a mileena player says its a 7-3. also i saw a tournament baraka say raiden is a 7-3 while a different baraka says its a 5-5. witch one will be in the final matchup chart?
What I'm doing with my chart is placing the conflicting score next to my original score along with their name. I said mileena was a 5-5, someone else said it was a 6-4. I think from looking at the conflicting scores and the reasons/experience behind them an accurate number can be reached.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Sektor has no frame traps, when raidens blocking he has nothing to fear because he can teleport out of them all.
I'm pretty sure b3, 4 is +1 on block, I usually follow it up with d1 xx flame thrower or 1, 2, b1 if I think my opponent is jump/poke happy (yes I realize flamethrower isn't the smartest thing to do up close).

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I feel qualified to comment on Johnny Cage and Sektor if anyone wants my input. I do think that F0xy and Ketchup are the most talented with these characters so I'd take them seriously.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I need to play Kitana vs. Quan Chi a lot more but Quan's zoning is definitely underrated. For one thing you have to stay out of trance range. Yeah that's super punishable but a trance trade is a potentially round winning trade for him. From full screen you have to think about the occasional runes and teleport, which aren't a big deal on their own but his fireball is really good. That skull is tied with Sonya's onion rings for most underrated projectile in MK9. If Kitana has to get in you've got to be way more careful than normal with stuff like f+2,1 because having to block a string against Quan can be disastrous. Man, Quan Chi is really dirty.

What I'm doing with my chart is placing the conflicting score next to my original score along with their name. I said mileena was a 5-5, someone else said it was a 6-4. I think from looking at the conflicting scores and the reasons/experience behind them an accurate number can be reached.
This. even though I really wonder how many compromised 5/5s there will be after it's all said and done, I guess this would be the best way to handle it. I think in the case of Raiden vs Mileena 6/4 is the right compromise, since I personally feel like it's a bit worse (somewhere between that and 7/3) and BW1zz saw it as even. So 6/4 would probably be more accurate.

As for matches like say Kitana/Mileena I dunno. It's clearly difficult for either side to view the match as even, but some Mileena players think Mil wins, and some Kitana players think Kit wins... so it's a toss up. One the other hand, I've also seen some one-dimensional reasoning behind why Mil loses certain matches where the whole argument is based on punishing telekicks and rolls. So I guess we'll see how it all plays out and hope for something we can all tolerate.

cyke_out

Noob
There might be alot of 5-5's that way. The Kano /Stryker match up is being said to be 6-4 for each character depending on who you ask, Josh, or Vulcan Hades.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Nori...will you eventually put these charts on the front page? I want to be able to look at each chart to see if we need to discuss specific matchups vs my character.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I'm pretty sure b3, 4 is +1 on block, I usually follow it up with d1 xx flame thrower or 1, 2, b1 if I think my opponent is jump/poke happy (yes I realize flamethrower isn't the smartest thing to do up close).
yeah sektor is on advantage after B3,4. But in comparison to cage its nothing lol, that's all i was saying.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Nori...will you eventually put these charts on the front page? I want to be able to look at each chart to see if we need to discuss specific matchups vs my character.
Yes, when they are all completed, this will be on the front page. Waiting for all the debating to be done

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
yeah sektor is on advantage after B3,4. But in comparison to cage its nothing lol, that's all i was saying.
frame advantage is frame advantage at the end of the day, however as sektor only has 2 overheads (i think), once youve blocked the b3 theres no reason not to crouch block, which results in sektor whiffing the 4 over your head :p

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
frame advantage is frame advantage at the end of the day, however as sektor only has 2 overheads (i think), once youve blocked the b3 theres no reason not to crouch block, which results in sektor whiffing the 4 over your head :p
Thats only at certain distances, and only on certain characters, just depends.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Thats only at certain distances, and only on certain characters, just depends.
but at the end of the day it still happens, its not something to bank on as its so inconsistent, i cant see him getting a free d1 after b3,4 on raiden is gonna make him win the matchup anyway tbh

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
but at the end of the day it still happens, its not something to bank on as its so inconsistent, i cant see him getting a free d1 after b3,4 on raiden is gonna make him win the matchup anyway tbh
It just depends on the spacing, a good sektor will get the 4 to connect well more than half the time and some characters are forced to block it no matter what.

I don't know anything about Sektor match-ups, just wanted to get the proper information out there.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
It just depends on the spacing, a good sektor will get the 4 to connect well more than half the time and some characters are forced to block it no matter what.

I don't know anything about Sektor match-ups, just wanted to get the proper information out there.
well really so what if the sektor manages to get it to connect all the time, that d1 will not give him ANYTHING, you tell me its space oriented, yet i fail to see how it could be anything other than just in range for the move to connect at all, unless you're talking about the b3 jailing them into stand blocking after a jip?