What's new

Nomad Dash Cancel Strategy

Crathen

Death is my business
Now that we have the frame data for Kabal cancels we can go in depth about it and this is going to confirm that Kabal is a great rushdown character wich is a side of the character rarely seen in tournaments.

I’d like to point out that NDC is his most important tool to master even more than Iagb , in certain matches you will not be able to just put up a barrage of Iagb and still win the fight if you don’t know every option you have after an NDC , of course NDC pressure has to be earned with practice and memorizing every choice the opponent does in order to make the right guesses.

First off here’s Kabal best NDC strings:

F32 : it’s 13 frames , hits special mid on every character , NDC will leave Kabal at +3 frames on block if executed perfectly.

B12 : 13 frames , hits special mid against high hitbox and some medium hitbox characters , hits high against low hitbox characters ( for better understanding check out MasterD “Kabal Pressure System” ) , its vertical hitbox is better than f32 so it can catch jumps on certain frame advantage , +3 frames on block.

2 : 9 frames , hits special mid only against high hitbox characters , hits high on everyone else , +10 on block if executed perfectly.

21: 9 frames , hits special mid only against high hitbox characters , hits high on everyone else , +2 on block if executed perfectly.

111 : 13 frames , the first two 11 hits high the third one hits special mid , +8 on block if executed perfectly.

11b4 : 13 frames , the first two 11 hits high , b4 hits low , +2 on block if executed perfectly.

Here’s your other tools for NDC pressure

D1 : 7 frames , hits special mid , +1 on hit , -7 on block.

D3 : 7 frames , hits low , +3 on hit ( standing opponent ) , im sure it’s more than +5 on a ducking opponent , - 7 on block.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here’s the NDC theory works , lets say Kabal got in with his f32 / b12 NDC , if you hit him with f32 / b12 then you can hitconfirm into a combo , on block you are at +3 and opens Kabal options:

F32 NDC into F32 : this will hit anyone trying to interrupt it with a 11+ frame move , they can’t duck it , this is not gonna hit jumps and lowpokes / moves faster than 9 frames.

F32 NDC into B12 : this will hit anyone trying to interrupt it with a 11+ frame move , high hitbox characters can’t duck it , low hitbox characters can duck , it whiffs on some crouch blocking low hitbox characters like Sektor , this will not hit jumps and lowpokes / moves faster than 9 frames.

F32 NDC into 2 : this will hit anyone trying to interrupt it with a 7+ frames move , it anti airs any jump out attemps , it will not hit crouching ( without blocking ) characters , can be lowpoked.

F32 NDC into d3 : this will hit anyone trying to interrupt it with any normal / special ( except armor ) , it can be jumped out , on block leaves Kabal at disadvantage ( -7 ) .

F32 NDC into d1 : this will hit anyone trying to interrupt it with any normal / special ( except armor ) , it will anti air any jump ( can be followed by a combo ) , only armor moves can interrupt it , on block leaves Kabal at disadvantage ( - 7 ) .

Summing it up:

+3 = f32 > 11+ frames moves / f32 < 6-10 frames moves , jump out , armor

+3 = b12 > 11+ frames moves / b12 < 6-10 frames move , jump out , armor

+3 = 2 > 7+ frame moves , jump out / 2 < ducking , lowpokes , armor

+3 = d3 > any normal and special / d3 < jump out , blocking low stops pressure , armor

+3 = d1 > any normal and special , jump out / d1 < blocking stops pressure , armor

As you can see each option covers another wich leads to the core guessing game of NDC:

1 Is the opponent going to block?
2 Is the opponent trying to interrupt?
3 Is the opponent going to jump?
4 Is the opponent going to do an armor move?

The first one is essential part of NDC , if you think the opponent is going to block then you have 4 options :

1 Throw
2 f32
3 b12
4 2

Option 2 and 3 leads to the same guessing game , option 4 leads to huge frame advantage and option 1 creates space while doing some damage.

Now when you think the opponent is not going to block they’re probably going to interrupt you and while this is character dependent , we’ll probably get stopped by lowpokes faster than 10 frames wich are mostly d1 , d3 and d2 since they go under option 1 and 4 while they also interrupt option 2 and 3 , to counter them Kabal has 3 options:

1 d3
2 d1
3 Crossjump

Option 1 leads to frame advantage ( +3 on a standing opponent , at least +5 on a crouching opponent ) , option 2 leaves Kabal at +1 while creating some distance , option 3 will make whiff their d1 / d3 and some uppercuts giving you a chance to either cross jump punch into more frame advantage / hit confirming a combo with his strings ( notice that the 11 series is probably the best option after a jumping punch since you can either confirm it into b4 ND on hit or 111 NDC for +8 frame advantage on block ) or if they like to lower their hitbox with lowpokes cross jump kick can get them.

As you can see option 1 can be jumped , option 2 cannot be interrupted by anything other than armor and cannot be jumped out , option 3 can either be jump kicked , njp’ed , anti air on the way down with d1 , or anti aired by a fast normal with high hitbox ( like Johnny Cages 1 ) .

This brings us to the third question , what if they jump out? If they commit to jumping after f32 / b12 NDC ( +3 ) they will get out of: f32 , b12 , d3 and get a chance to land an air to air punch / kick on your cross over jump.

You have 2 answers wich are either standing 2 or d1 , both anti airs your opponent from any kind of jump and are hitconfirmable into a combo ( AA 2 NDC f32 ND or d1 dash f4 ND ) , standing 2 also covers from 7+ frames moves / normals leading to huge frame advantage ( but doesn’t hit lowpokes ) , d1 covers anything other than armor but doesn’t lead to more pressure.

Finally the last one , are they gonna armor through it? This answer is purely character depending and requires matchup experience and knowledge of their armor moves , but there’s general rule when you’re trying to read an armor move, is it safe or unsafe? Now if it’s safe you generally can block it and pressure your opponent or if you can make it whiff with a cross over and either punish him or go back to the spacing game , worst case scenario your opponent burned a meter and didn’t get much , if the armor move is unsafe blocking will net you a free combo , if you can still jump it and punish it you have 2 options for punishing it ( blocking and cross jumps ) .

This are all the options after a f32 / b12 NDC.

Now lets suppose they block a 2 NDC , Kabal is at +10 frames wich opens up the same pressure covering more options:

+10 = 2 NDC into f32 : this will hit any normal / special ( except CSZ parry ) , it will catch any jump attempt , can only be interrupted by armor

+10 = 2 NDC into b12 : this will hit any normal / special ( except CSZ parry ) , it will catch any jump attempt , can only be interrupted by armor

+10 = 2 NDC into 2 : this will hit anything your opponent tries to do ( not even armor ) and it jails in standblock if done perfectly , it’s technically a block infinite if you 2 NDC 2 NDC but most of the time your opponent is going to be able to crouch it and make it whiff since it’s really hard to get it down to the frame consistently.

+10 = 2 NDC into d3 : this will hit anything your opponent tries to do ( not even armor ) , if blocked low Kabal is at -7

+10 = 2 NDC into d1 : this will hit anything your opponent tries to do ( not even armor ) , if blocked Kabal is at -7

Standing 2 NDC creates an almost no risk / high reward scenario where if your opponent tries to do anything other than block low he’s in a block infinite , f32 and b12 can only be beaten by well timed armor moves but they risk getting hit with 2 NDC into more pressure or a combo , it eliminates two options from your opponent ( trying to interrupt it and trying to jump out ) with f32 and b12 and virtually eliminates anything other than block with 2 NDC.

Summing it up:

+10 = f32 > any normal / special ( except CSZ parry ) , anti airs any jump / f32 < armor

+10 = b12 > any normal / special ( except CSz parry ) , anti air any jump / b12 < armor

+10 = 2 > any normal / special , cannot be jumped / anti airs , cannot be interrupted by armor / 2 < nothing

*Note that performing this infinite down to the frame is unrealistic / inconstistent so most of the time if they have a low crouch blocking hitbox the 2 will whiff and you can’t link ND making them able to interrupt you.

+10 = d3 > any normal / special , cannot be jumped , cannot be interrupted by armor / d3 < blocking low stops pressure

+10 = d1 > any normal / special , cannot be jumped / anti airs , cannot be interrupted by armor / d1 < blocking stops pressure

So after a blocked 2 NDC your best options are either go into another 2 NDC , f32 / b12 wich are only interruptable by a really well timed armor and leads to the +3 frame advantage with NDC or a throw.

Another tool I’d like to explain is d3 , the good thing about d3 on hit is that it always gives advantage , +3 on standing opponents gives Kabal a free f4 wich will also anti air any jump out attempt , once the opponent respect that you can start mixing it up with throws , f32 / b12 , 2 and all of that , the best thing about it is that if it hits crouching opponents ( this happens when you read their lowpoke after NDC and d3 ) it grants even more advantage , i haven’t tested it but it should be more than +7 since i couldn’t d1 Kabal out of f32 , use d3 to make your opponent jump or block in between NDC.

A last mention goes to the 11 string , especially after a jump in punch you can go into a 11 then you can confirm it into a combo with b4 ND or go for the last 1 into NDC wich leaves Kabal at +8 making his f32 / b12 not interruptable other than armor moves.

+8 = f32 > any normal / special ( except CSZ parry ) , anti airs jumps / f32 < armor

+8 = b12 > any normal / special ( except CSZ parry ) , anti airs jumps / b12 < armor

+8 = 2 > any normal / special , anti airs jumps , armor ( just if done perfectly ) / 2 < can be crouched and lowpoked

+8 = d3 > any normal / special , cannot be jumped , cannot be interrupted by armor / d3 < blocking low stops pressure.

+8 = d1 > any normal / special , cannot be jumped , cannot be interrupted by armor / d3 < blocking
stops pressure.

Note that standing 2 and b1 will whiff on low crouch blocking hitbox characters wich forces to use f3 to pressure making Kabals offence more predictable , for a complete list check out MasterD “Kabal Pressure System”

I feel this are Kabals best pressure tools and options when going for NDC , pretty much your opponent has to block low all the time wich is a good conditioning because it opens up for his overhead tornado slam even before entering the NDC and it still gets 12 % with an untechable knockdown and space to go back to zone the opponent or get in for more pressure , with good reads NDC can be very frustrating for your opponent and might get him to make a mistake.

This can take some time to get used to it but when you can think about what your next move is gonna be while still reading your opponent in between NDC will make you an even more scary Kabal.

If anyone of you guys have any question / doubt about NDC just ask , hopefully we can get the Kabal community to write what they think about Kabals upclose game because Iagb will not work for much time against good players.

If Kabal pressure game is going to evolve further than this i will update this , i want to make it more complete with some other examples , also i’m going to try to make it more “readable” with some updates in the future.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
That good stuff man, will help other new kabal players. kabal is really deep character. Currently am testing something with a friend of mine. I might have a new tech, but its to soon to say anything.

circle masher

NRS PLLLLS MORE BUFF AN NERFPS GAME IS UBNALENCERD
Nice thread. I think it's useful to mention the importance of F3 NDC and B1 NDC though - they create expectation for the follow-up moves but allow you to switch phase and go for a different string/option. (F3 NDC throw, etc.)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Should f4 not be used as part of ndc pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crathen

Death is my business
Nice thread. I think it's useful to mention the importance of F3 NDC and B1 NDC though - they create expectation for the follow-up moves but allow you to switch phase and go for a different string/option. (F3 NDC throw, etc.)
You're right , i didn't cover f3 and b1 a lot and both are good tools to create for a mistake thanks to the followup threat wich is still something you have to condition them to respect , also f3 is +1 while b1 is +2 , definately gonna add them to the list.

Should f4 not be used as part of ndc pressure?
The problem with f4 is the negative edge in between NDC , since you are inputting b + block in order to cancel the dash doing a f4 registers it as another nomad dash wich means you can't f4 immediately out of NDC ( and trust me when i say you can't do a f4 in any way on the first frame of NDC recovery ) , you can still time the NDC for some frames into a f4 but that means you are not doing it at frame zero making f4 not really your best option.

Also a blocked f4 means you will not be at advantage if you NDC ( f4 NDC it's -5 on block ) but they still have to respect the saw since it's not interruptable after f4 , but i did mention f4 after a d3 on hit since it closes so much options conditioning your opponent to block then going into better NDC blockstrings.

If Kabal could actually f4 on the first frame of NDC his upclose offence would really be just way too good.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Godlike post!!
I already use all of that except the 2NDC... i should implement this into my pressure!

I focus kabal on his rushdown, i know that his zoning beats 90% of the cast but i prefer the rushdown style...

And i didnt know that d3 on hit have diferent frame advantage if it hits stand or crouch oponents!

Good shit!!

REO

Undead
Yo dog, where that block inf at? You know dat shit that be turning 7-3 match ups into 10-0? Word up, son. You best be Kaballin' to leave that shit out, stop trying to make our character look balanced.

Anyway stickied, real talk. Nice job.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
awesome post, one of several you have provided i believe. all us hopeful Kabals have you to thank for countless more hours spent painstakingly trying to master this stuff. right on

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I would also add...if you are pretty sure they are going to jump... then you can NDC- standing 4, safe on block, can be canceled into a dash or used into a combo. I think it will hit if they jump, put safe distance between if blocked, and I am not sure who is able to low poke it...just another option

Crathen

Death is my business
There's no use for standing 4 in NDC , it's 12 frames but it doesn't leave you at advantage on block unlike standing 2 wich still covers jumps and can be confirmed into a combo. Honestly not worth it.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
So when are you guys gonna post the best ways to get out of this/counter it?

That's what everyone cares about. Nah, I can deal with most Kabals not too bad but you high level Kabals are playing a different game...for real.

rafaw

#YouSuck
Its a guessing game actualy... like if i start pressuring you, if i use b12 ndc followed by d3 you can read that im gonna cancel the b12 and jump out, but if i cancel into 2 nd you cant jump out, but you can down poke!!

Against a high level Kabal you will have to guess or get his patern...

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Crathen REO Master D.

- 1,1,1, NDC jails after a jip (you can crouch block after the second "1", but the third one will hit anyway, so all 3 hit)
- f,3,2, EX NDC leaves you at +8 or something
- f4, ndc gives a safe jip (leaves at +40 or something on hit)
How good of an idea is to go for the BnB, finish it with f4, ndc, crossup jip into 1,1,1 ndc, f3,2, NDC (uninterruptable as far as I know) and do another f3,2 if it's a small-hitbox character or b1,2 (or 2, NDC if it's got a high-hitbox char) into overhead ? should do about 15% chip and gives almost 1 bar of meter back.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Good Stuff, i will take a good read of this, to sharpen my Kabal even better

The Only NDC i can't get consistent is the 2 >NDC > 2 > NDC that REO does as follow up on combos, maybe because he uses Hitbox or something ^^

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Crathen REO Master D.

- 1,1,1, NDC jails after a jip (you can crouch block after the second "1", but the third one will hit anyway, so all 3 hit)
How good of an idea is to go for the BnB, finish it with f4, ndc, crossup jip into 1,1,1 ndc, f3,2, NDC (uninterruptable as far as I know) and do another f3,2 if it's a small-hitbox character or b1,2 (or 2, NDC if it's got a high-hitbox char) into overhead ? should do about 15% chip and gives almost 1 bar of meter back.
After a B121 combo I will end with F4~ndc for the safe jump into pressure. This builds more meter, robs your opponent of meter, and does about the same damage with the chip. The thing about this is, the opponent has to be grounded for the F4~ndc to get the safe jump. If they're in the air, they can anti-air you on the crossover.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
After a B121 combo I will end with F4~ndc for the safe jump into pressure. This builds more meter, robs your opponent of meter, and does about the same damage with the chip. The thing about this is, the opponent has to be grounded for the F4~ndc to get the safe jump. If they're in the air, they can anti-air you on the crossover.
That's great news.
So on high crouch blocking characters (and after a f4,ndc hitting on the ground):

Regular combo into:
jip, 1, 1, 1, NDC, f3, 2, EN NDC, 2, NDC, f3,2, 50/50 is a good idea? Does about 15%+ chip and gives almost a whole bar back. Should be a whole bar if taken the BnB meter gain into consideration
(on small hitbox characters you'd have to take off the 2, NDC since it whiffs)

That looks naaasty.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
That's great news.
So on high crouch blocking characters (and after a f4,ndc hitting on the ground):

Regular combo into:
jip, 1, 1, 1, NDC, f3, 2, EN NDC, 2, NDC, f3,2, 50/50 is a good idea? Does about 15%+ chip and gives almost a whole bar back. Should be a whole bar if taken the BnB meter gain into consideration
(on small hitbox characters you'd have to take off the 2, NDC since it whiffs)

That looks naaasty.
actually, you wanna switch one of those. do 111~ndc, 2~ndc(guaranteed since 111~ndc is +8, then 2~ndc is +9, and you could even do a few reps of 2~ndc if you felt comfortable), then do f32 into whatever you want, either ex ndc for more pressure or the 50/50.. personally I like to use F3~ndc first followed by F32~ndc, usually stopping the F3 series after the first hit causes them to hesitate and lets you get another block string in.

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
I
Crathen REO Master D.

I think you should instead of risking the person jumping out and you not being able to AA combo, rather F4 NDC and wait about a second and start-up preferably 2 NDC or any other NDC block string as the opponent is locked into a standing block for a short amount of time after being reset. Since the gravity scaling is already high from the BnB combo, they land pretty quick so you don't have to worry hitting them in the air.

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
Also, here is my showcasing of my 2NDC. I think I have done these on just frames from what I can see but you be the judge. This is up there for a video showing repetitions, if you have some footage I'd be more than happy to see it.