What's new

Nintendo Direct for Mario Kart 8

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
I don't understand why they nerfed defensive item usage so harshly.

Before, a green shell / banana held behind you didn't take up your item slot, but now it does, so you're less able to defend yourself against a barrage of red shells.

Also, why the change to triple bananas? Triple bananas revolve around you now, so if somebody is immediately behind you with triple red shells, you have to REACT to each red shell thrown and throw the banana peel behind you instead of just letting the trail of banana peels take care of them like in some of the older Mario Karts.

Triple mushroom change looks weird too. If opponents can steal the mushrooms revolving around you, then that means that the game doesn't want you to hold on them and use them when necessary.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't understand why they nerfed defensive item usage so harshly.

Before, a green shell / banana held behind you didn't take up your item slot, but now it does, so you're less able to defend yourself against a barrage of red shells.

Also, why the change to triple bananas? Triple bananas revolve around you now, so if somebody is immediately behind you with triple red shells, you have to REACT to each red shell thrown and throw the banana peel behind you instead of just letting the trail of banana peels take care of them like in some of the older Mario Karts.

Triple mushroom change looks weird too. If opponents can steal the mushrooms revolving around you, then that means that the game doesn't want you to hold on them and use them when necessary.
One word...super horn.

Because the super horn exists, defense had to take a hit, I guess.

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
One word...super horn.

Because the super horn exists, defense had to take a hit, I guess.
That'll still depend on if the Super Horn is an item that appears if you're more ahead or behind.
If you can get a super horn while in first place, I guess that would be cool, but if you only get it while behind, then maintaining a lead is going to be really tough in this game.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
That'll still depend on if the Super Horn is an item that appears if you're more ahead or behind.
If you can get a super horn while in first place, I guess that would be cool, but if you only get it while behind, then maintaining a lead is going to be really tough in this game.
I think that is the general point.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
The only thing I wantedpersonally is the balance be fixed because bikes were OP as fuck.
They've apparently dedicated real development time to the balance so I'm optimistically happy, because they still might be broke once the game is released.
Hopefully they fixed it. Kart life~

I bought my Wii U for 3 games.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Mario Kart 8
3. X

One game down, and now give me my Bayonetta 2. Platinum/Nintendo plz!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
It could be a downside to you destroying your own traps though. But I like it.
I'm going to have to make a new rule for the blue spike shell at our biweekly mario kart get drunk fest.

The horn crushing it now makes it less likely to ball tap someone.

I will thoroughly enjoy making everyone take a drink anytime my plant eats them tho.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Okay, officially lol'd at the Retro courses.

There's more fucking tracks from 64 than 7, the only track from SNES is redundant as hell, and they used the poor man's version of Wario Stadium from the DS game? Not even the Colosseum???!?!

Better be DLC cups planned for later on.

The only thing I wantedpersonally is the balance be fixed because bikes were OP as fuck.
They've apparently dedicated real development time to the balance so I'm optimistically happy, because they still might be broke once the game is released.
Hopefully they fixed it. Kart life~
For what it's worth, at least the bikes brought about something to look forward to opposed to the eternal PRB/Snaking fest of Egg 1 vs Dry Bomber in Mario Kart DS.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
Okay, officially lol'd at the Retro courses.

There's more fucking tracks from 64 than 7, the only track from SNES is redundant as hell, and they used the poor man's version of Wario Stadium from the DS game? Not even the Colosseum???!?!

Better be DLC cups planned for later on.

For what it's worth, at least the bikes brought about something to look forward to opposed to the eternal PRB/Snaking fest of Egg 1 vs Dry Bomber in Mario Kart DS.
DLC? Nintendo? It would be soooo much free money for Mario Kart DLC, I'd throw whatever I have at them.

But yes, we can't compare the plague of Mario Kart DS's snaking to anything, they got on that real fast in Mario Kart Wii, and I'm sure it wasn't prevelant in 7, was it?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
DLC? Nintendo? It would be soooo much free money for Mario Kart DLC, I'd throw whatever I have at them.

But yes, we can't compare the plague of Mario Kart DS's snaking to anything, they got on that real fast in Mario Kart Wii, and I'm sure it wasn't prevelant in 7, was it?
Possibly, but not to a noticeably gamebreaking degree. 7's main problem was those bugs where you could skip half the course on some tracks but it was already patched by the time I got a 3DS.