What's new

Match-up Discussion Nightwolf Match Up Chart

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I think the Freddy match is dictated by how well the Freddy player utilizes Nightmare Stance. If they aren't then the match is pretty much even or slightly in Freddy's favor at worst. You just need to be extra careful with reflect due to the spikes. With it? Well, it's horrible to say the least. Worse considering he can wake up with it and stuff any attempt at continuing pressure after a knockdown.

Nightwolf gets blown by simple crouching too much, it's ridonkulous. He could use Shao Kahn's overhead hammer.

I think the Freddy match is dictated by how well the Freddy player utilizes Nightmare Stance. If they aren't then the match is pretty much even or slightly in Freddy's favor at worst. You just need to be extra careful with reflect due to the spikes. With it? Well, it's horrible to say the least. Worse considering he can wake up with it and stuff any attempt at continuing pressure after a knockdown.

Nightwolf gets blown by simple crouching too much, it's ridonkulous. He could use Shao Kahn's overhead hammer.
hehe

lol

McNasty

Moist.
Cage and Liu kang are 4-6 if not 3-7 for cage. Lightening is NOT a good reason why cage would ever have to worry about anything. Against nightwolf cage should never be in a range where lightening should be even remotely safe. Wake up nut punch I believe has invincibility so the lightening trap doesn't effect him. Cages meter building gives him perpetual breakers never gives NW the chance to sit back and have the life lead or effectively play footsies. Cage footsies>NW footsies in all scenarios.

Liu Kang pushes NW to the rape corner just like sub zero. He doesnt lock him down there but your options of getting out are slim. Dragon stance back dash puts him in a perfect standing 2 AA range. Shoulder can be ducked and full punished by B312. Hatchet? well we all know how that goes down. Parry? I mean options for days and some of the best wall carrying combos in the game. 4-6

Smoke might be 5-5 but the reasoning that he cant get out of -4 and -3 pressure is garbage NW does not have pressure.

IMO you have to play your ass off to beat Kung Lao could be 5-5, but a lame KL could get the best of him.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I personally feel Cage beats NW 6-4 and that Nightwolf goes even with Sub and Sektor.
^This

IMO, the Sub-Zero match becomes about spacing. If NW can stay out of the corner, he wins. He should be able to do this about 50% of the time. Even the best Sub-Zero players will eventually throw and Ice Ball and this is his chance to armor through it and into them and get his positioning where he wants. As stated, sometimes, he will get cornered and it is VERY hard to get out, but I think 50/50 is where that stands, cause midscreen, it's a slaughter.

What makes the Noob MU a 5-5? I dont have much experience with this MU yet, so I'm legit asking, not questioning it. Freddy feels pretty rough. 7-3 seems about right v.v Dat Nightmare Stance, yo

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
^This

IMO, the Sub-Zero match becomes about spacing. If NW can stay out of the corner, he wins. He should be able to do this about 50% of the time. Even the best Sub-Zero players will eventually throw and Ice Ball and this is his chance to armor through it and into them and get his positioning where he wants. As stated, sometimes, he will get cornered and it is VERY hard to get out, but I think 50/50 is where that stands, cause midscreen, it's a slaughter.
Midscreen is slaughter? You're joking right? Sub's d4 is the best footsie tool in this match up and that's what this game has come down to.

L0rdoftheFLY said it best....midscreen is 6-4 NW but once NW is cornered it's EXTREMELY hard for him to get out. In this MU after a grounded freeze b121 is not needed, you use the old jip 214 slide bnb to push him closer to the corner because that's where you want him. You must play this MU very lame as Sub until you get him to the corner. Yes he has armoured moves to get out but that's IF NW has meter...when there's talk of MU people use that word too much.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I meant more in terms of damage output. In that NW gets a lot more dmage each time he does combo. I know SubZ has a D4.

You say yourself that it's 6-4 midscreen. and I agree. I think SubZ wins when he corners NW though. And imo, the key to the MU is not using meter for anything else (save breaker). A missed L. Trap is just too dangerous as it will likely end with the wolfman being cornered. I'm not saying I think it's in his favor. I dont. I think 5-5. And perhaps "Slaughter" was too strong of a word choice and should be more for things like "Mileena v Sheeva", but the point remains that NW wins midscreen.

In the end, you're saying the exact same thing I did. NW wins midscreen. SubZ wins in the corner. And NW gets out if he has armor.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I meant more in terms of damage output. In that NW gets a lot more dmage each time he does combo. I know SubZ has a D4.

You say yourself that it's 6-4 midscreen. and I agree. I think SubZ wins when he corners NW though. And imo, the key to the MU is not using meter for anything else (save breaker). A missed L. Trap is just too dangerous as it will likely end with the wolfman being cornered. I'm not saying I think it's in his favor. I dont. I think 5-5. And perhaps "Slaughter" was too strong of a word choice and should be more for things like "Mileena v Sheeva", but the point remains that NW wins midscreen.

In the end, you're saying the exact same thing I did. NW wins midscreen. SubZ wins in the corner. And NW gets out if he has armor.
LOL no.
NW typically gets 24% or so .... yes he gets BIG damage for a full combo.... but not his other stuff.
He does NOT get out for free with armor. exShoulder is just as punishable as the normal one.
How does NW win mid screen exactly? I don't think this is true either. I think they both make each other work.... and have their own merits.
OS clone I think is a big deal in this match as well.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
the only thing that keeps the NW sub match close imo is the fact that NW does such huge damage and sub cant throw iceballs unless at fullscreen. 3/4 screen and closer its a free full combo for Nightwolf. also after a knockdown if sub lays a clone in front of NW he can either wakeup shoulder through it or lightning to hit sub on the other side. I really love fighting this match it's a real thinking mans match. both characters have ways of countering what the other does. Nightwolfs d3 vs subs d4. This match feels pretty even to me. Even if sub gets him in the corner if NW guesses right and gets out he has hella corner damage . it's either 5-5 or slightly in Subs favor at worst 4-6.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
LOL no.
NW typically gets 24% or so .... yes he gets BIG damage for a full combo.... but not his other stuff.
He does NOT get out for free with armor. exShoulder is just as punishable as the normal one.
How does NW win mid screen exactly? I don't think this is true either. I think they both make each other work.... and have their own merits.
OS clone I think is a big deal in this match as well.
First. No need for condescending "LOL no"s. We're all adults and this is discussion of a game. Let's treat it that way.

I simply stated my opinion. Sub-Zero is not free. I don't think that at all. But I do think that Nightwolf has better midscreen tools. His wake-up options are better. He AAs like a boss. His damage is higher. When Sub-Zero tries to create distance, he has to respect Reflect at all times. Up close, he has to deal with B2 right outside D4 range. Nightwolf's D3 is no Sub/Mileena D4, but it is a viable footsies tool. All Sub-Zero has is D4 and Clone. Which are both really good tools. Enough so that he can hang, but not good enough to overpower NW.

I'm not insinuating that it is easy for NW to armor out of the corner. Only possible. I agree with everyone else who says it is very difficult. And you are 100% correct that EN Shoulder and Shoulder are both very punishable, but it shouldnt be thrown out like a braindead option.

I recently played NW against Marvaz' Sub-Zero and it was the only game against him that I felt like could have gone either way. He's a much better player, but in that MU, I felt like I had a fighting chance and while he won in the end, the matches were very close. And almost every round I took, I took it at midscreen. This seems to be the case against other SubZ players as well. My thoughts are based simply on my experiences, and in my experience, I tend to feel like I have more control midscreen. I'm constantly thinking "watch for D4" and "Ice Clone", but other than that, I dont think he has much going for him.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Hey lotf and big d if you both or one of you are going to evo I'd really suggest we get some games in to test this nightwolf vs sindel match up. And also play Mr. Mileena sindel.

I say it's 5-5 no way does nw have advantage.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
First. No need for condescending "LOL no"s. We're all adults and this is discussion of a game. Let's treat it that way.

I simply stated my opinion. Sub-Zero is not free. I don't think that at all. But I do think that Nightwolf has better midscreen tools. His wake-up options are better. He AAs like a boss. His damage is higher. When Sub-Zero tries to create distance, he has to respect Reflect at all times. Up close, he has to deal with B2 right outside D4 range. Nightwolf's D3 is no Sub/Mileena D4, but it is a viable footsies tool. All Sub-Zero has is D4 and Clone. Which are both really good tools. Enough so that he can hang, but not good enough to overpower NW.

I'm not insinuating that it is easy for NW to armor out of the corner. Only possible. I agree with everyone else who says it is very difficult. And you are 100% correct that EN Shoulder and Shoulder are both very punishable, but it shouldnt be thrown out like a braindead option.

I recently played NW against Marvaz' Sub-Zero and it was the only game against him that I felt like could have gone either way. He's a much better player, but in that MU, I felt like I had a fighting chance and while he won in the end, the matches were very close. And almost every round I took, I took it at midscreen. This seems to be the case against other SubZ players as well. My thoughts are based simply on my experiences, and in my experience, I tend to feel like I have more control midscreen. I'm constantly thinking "watch for D4" and "Ice Clone", but other than that, I dont think he has much going for him.
I'm not trying to be condescending.... so I apologize.

NW doesn't get massive damage off of anything outside of his NORMAL combo starters. AA he gets the same as SZ. SZ really doesn't have to deal with anything right outside of d4 range.... because NW has to respect the clone.
I think they are rather even at mid screen.... but that is me.
I will say that NW does need to stay at the mid screen area where he can lame out SZ once he has a life lead.

D. R.

Noob
What Noob have you guys been playing to say it's a 6-4 in NW's favor?

i.e. Why is that match up 6-4?
<---- This guy. And yeah. it's 6-4. NW punishes all shadow spam on whiff and excluding upknee, on block. D+4 wrecks NW, but if he spaces Noob out, Noob's getting punished with Lightening. Also, due to Noob's high crouching "hitbox", he can't dash in and duck as easily as the rest of the cast to nullify shoulder charge. There's more to it here as well, but it's 6-4.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Cage and Liu kang are 4-6 if not 3-7 for cage. Lightening is NOT a good reason why cage would ever have to worry about anything. Against nightwolf cage should never be in a range where lightening should be even remotely safe. Wake up nut punch I believe has invincibility so the lightening trap doesn't effect him. Cages meter building gives him perpetual breakers never gives NW the chance to sit back and have the life lead or effectively play footsies. Cage footsies>NW footsies in all scenarios.

Liu Kang pushes NW to the rape corner just like sub zero. He doesnt lock him down there but your options of getting out are slim. Dragon stance back dash puts him in a perfect standing 2 AA range. Shoulder can be ducked and full punished by B312. Hatchet? well we all know how that goes down. Parry? I mean options for days and some of the best wall carrying combos in the game. 4-6

Smoke might be 5-5 but the reasoning that he cant get out of -4 and -3 pressure is garbage NW does not have pressure.

IMO you have to play your ass off to beat Kung Lao could be 5-5, but a lame KL could get the best of him.
Cage does have to worry about lightning. Not lightning trap (sometimes) but naked lightnings while dash blocking. It's better than you think and it is more effective on him than almost every other character because cage doesnt control the air other than in his general area.

Cages footsies may be better than nw but it's not as big a difference as you thnk. Nw has great footsies in this MU. Nw has meter too almost the whole game.

Kang could be 4-6 I changed it because of MK Peanuts. Maybe he can explain it better.

Smoke doesn't beat NW I don't think. Nw has great pressure...are you serious? Your smart guy so I know you kow what nw is capable of. Nw doesnt worry about smoke bomb and can lame out smoke" and when he gets in smoke HAS to ex akuma tele out or time a d1 or d3.

Kung Lao is 5-5 because his only damage comes off of ex tele (beaten by ex choke) or roll to throw and tic throws. But once nightwolf blocks a spin or dive kick he can take 1/2 life. Nw has to lame out some wins but a win is a win. Tele gets an uppercut or d1 axe EVERY time offline forcing Lao to roll or wiff dive kick to get in. He can do f2 but it becomes ALL footsies in this MU cause nw slows down him mobility and forces him to chip hm to death. It's 5-5 as far as I can tell.

UsedForGlue. Any thoughts on KL MU?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
What Noob have you guys been playing to say it's a 6-4 in NW's favor?

i.e. Why is that match up 6-4?
It's a slow match but dash reflect works well to get in. At jump distance you might start doing up knee opening up lightning or start attacking but his footsies aren't as good with normals. If you make one mistake nw is in with a big combo. And with shoulder/eh shoulder he can stay in even after you breaker.

Kano vs NW might be a 3-7.

It's really bad.
@beeneeweenies might have a say. He is very good with Kano and makes me work for wins. His footsies with normals are better than you thnk and they open up his balls(hehe).

I agree with Sonya beating NW 7-3. Mileena/NW could be an even MU too. Cage/NW has to be a 7-3 too. NW is a sitting duck vs Cage/Sonya.
The only reason it isn't is because nw f3 is too slow and he can't keep pressure after a combo". He doesn't have a consistent answer to d4 and he has to work so hard to get in. If mil doesn't tele or throw sais, she controls all the space until she hits the wall. Then she has breaker and can ex tele to be facing opposite side again. If I can steal meter I can win other wise it's a pain. This match is almost lamer than raiden at the highest level. Pig Of The Hut. Any thoughts?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Hey lotf and big d if you both or one of you are going to evo I'd really suggest we get some games in to test this nightwolf vs sindel match up. And also play Mr. Mileena sindel.

I say it's 5-5 no way does nw have advantage.
Sorry I thnk EVO is out of the question for me this year. I have only played one match (if my poor memory serves me right) against mr mil mileena and it was online, at pigs house, and it means nothing. I did win however that is not the basis of my chart. We should run it as soon as possible to get more exp. same goes for Mr. Mileena. Theory suggests IMO that reflect is his best tool for this MU with shoulder to move hm towards her and pushing her to the corner.