What's new

NHL 2014 Playoffs Thread

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Bear in mind that the playoffs are reseeded after the first round... That said, here's my predictions for round 1

Ducks over Stars
Kings over Sharks
Avs over Wild
Blues over Hawks

Bruins over Wings
Habs over Bolts
Pens over Jackets
Rangers over Flyers

C-Sword

Noob
The Kings will beat the Sharks just like they did last year, I think it'll be the most entertaining round 1 series. Lightning VS Habs is going to put me to sleep, very low scoring in the first few games with the last one being a blowout. Like it or not, the Bruins are built to make it far in the playoffs, so happy that the Red Wings are in the East tho. Blue Jackets might be the surprise this year. St-Louis has no chance, too many injuries, they ended their season with 6 straight losses.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Blue Jackets might be the surprise this year.
The only surprise with the Blue Jackets will be how quickly they bow out in the first round. They have zero playoff experience and are going up against one of the best teams in the NHL. For reference, see Ottawa/Pittsburgh playoff series in 2007. That was the first year the Pens made the playoffs since acquiring Crosby. They got annihilated by a playoff tested Sens team. The Jackets will be no different. Pens in 5.

C-Sword

Noob
Who would’ve thought the Bolts and the Habs would end up having the most entertaining game last night? I was seriously expecting it to be a snorefest, very low scoring and boring.

The Good:

Briere, he made great passes, one of them led to the OT winner, he won puck battles despite his small stature.

Eller, he used his size to his advantage, keeping the puck to himself for too long paid off for once.

Bourque, great forecheck, he made the 2nd effort to recover the puck, something he rarely did during the regular season.

Gionta, the captain was there when needed.

The Bad:

Weaver, Prust, Gallagher, Subban and Price.

The problem I have with the Habs Ds is that they don’t allow a lot of shots, but when they do, it’s always in the slot area, they usually come from someone uncovered. As for Lindback, he was just as bad as Price last night, he made a lot of saves, but several of them were weak backhand shots.

I’m hoping that Tinordi plays instead of Weaver next game.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Pens did pretty well last night through adversity. Hoping Letang calms down a bit; he did not look like he was ready.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Mason won't be in the first game for sure and he might not be in the second game. I'm worried about emery but he is good in playoffs. If they beat the rangers, then they can easily beat the penguins.

Mason won't be in the first game for sure and he might not be in the second game. I'm worried about emery but he is good in playoffs. If they beat the rangers, then they can easily beat the penguins.
Emery doesnt do well when forced to move laterally, and is slow in general. Philly's D is going to have to step up to get a split in NY to open the series.

I$AAC

Noob
I waited for Game 2 to make my post.

If the Bolts/Habs series showed me anything, it's how much the lightning miss Ben Bishop. Lindback saved a lot of shots in Game 1, but as mentioned earlier they were mostly weak shot. If Bishop was on net that game the most he would've allowed 2 or 3 goals. Game 2 showed how much of a fraud Lindback is and showed the rest of the hockey world what bolt fans already know, that if you're not scoring at least 5 goals with Lindback at goalie, you're not winning. The worst part, Bishop may not be able to come back before this series is over. They might as well start Gudlevskis in game 3 to at least get the kid some playoff experience cause Lindback is not the answer. Not to take anything away from the Habs as they are playing stellar, but I'd have to wonder what this series would look like if Bishop wasn't injured.

Last edited:

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Who would’ve thought the Bolts and the Habs would end up having the most entertaining game last night? I was seriously expecting it to be a snorefest, very low scoring and boring.
It's interesting, but I actually enjoy the 2-1 games more than the 5-4 games. Sure, those games are more fun and lively, but they simply cannot match the tension of a defensive struggle that's 1-1 halfway through the third period. I love it.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Bear in mind that the playoffs are reseeded after the first round... That said, here's my predictions for round 1

Ducks over Stars
Kings over Sharks
Avs over Wild
Blues over Hawks

Bruins over Wings
Habs over Bolts
Pens over Jackets
Rangers over Flyers
Are they really re seeding after the first round??

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I waited for Game 2 to make my post.

If the Bolts/Habs series showed me anything, it's how much the lightning miss Ben Bishop. Kind back saved a lot of shots in Game 1, but as mentioned earlier they were mostly weak shot. If Bishop has on net that game the most he would've allowed 2 or 3 goals. Game 2 showed how much of a fraud Lindback is and showed the rest of the hockey world what bolt fans already know, that if you're not scoring at least 5 goals with Lindback at goalie, you're not winning. The worst part, Bishop may not be able to come back before this series is over. They might as well start Gudlevskis in game 3 to at least get the kid some playoff experience cause Lindback is not the answer. Not to take anything away from the Habs as they are playing stellar, but I'd have to wonder what this series would look like if Bishop wasn't injured.
Price played pretty well too from what I saw,

I'm just in a world of hating dudes named Pavel right now.

I still think Bruins in 6, we played like shit and detroit had to have a pretty good game and have Datsyk make an amazing play just to get the win.

Howard probably had his best game of the year.

I thought Iggy was scoring on the powerplay in the 3rd and boom, stick blows up. Such is playoff hockey.

Lotta good games so far.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Assuming Pittsburgh beats Columbus, I'd love to see the Red Wings knock off Boston so we can all see the rubber match between the Pens/Wings (with no cup on the line this time, just pride.)

Are they really re seeding after the first round??
Yep, the highest remaining seed plays the lowest remaining seed.

xInfra Deadx

As a Pens fan, they better do something with Letang quickly. He got called for a dumb penalty and resulted in the game being tied...also his puck handling is very suspect and almost cost him the first game.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
As a Pens fan, they better do something with Letang quickly. He got called for a dumb penalty and resulted in the game being tied...also his puck handling is very suspect and almost cost him the first game.
Yyyyup. I'd honestly think about scratching him for the next game and put Engelland in the line-up for some more toughness. Downside is losing Letang's offensive presenc--- OH WAIT. HE'S ALWAYS IN THE DAMN PENALTY BOX SO HE HAS NO PRESENCE.

-______-

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Assuming Pittsburgh beats Columbus, I'd love to see the Red Wings knock off Boston so we can all see the rubber match between the Pens/Wings (with no cup on the line this time, just pride.)

Yep, the highest remaining seed plays the lowest remaining seed.
Ah, see, this isn't true, I didn't think so either with the new format they have now.

xInfra Deadx

Yeah, the Pens have whoever wins the Flyers/Rangers series. Definately not what they used to do before.