What's new

NFL Football

So, (NFL) football season is coming up... i am very excited and will be in a picks pool... and i decided to make a football thread so we can discuss this and i can be an opinionated jerk and argue with you guys and be a know it all. I love football, i watch shitloads of football and it is my favorite sport. I follow the league religiously. (i also love basketball)
SKIP the following if you don't give a fuck about the patriots and like totally don't feel like reading my rant:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a patriots fan. I think they look as complete as they have in a long time. But i have serious doubt also. Last year injuries prevented our defense from really being well-rounded, we lost too much influence on the run game with mayo and wilfork out, and we really especially in the playoffs could not penetrate and had no pass rush so our secondary was exposed ( i thought a large part of this was wilfork being out). Despite this a lot of other players played decently but we had too many holes.

This year we subbed out talib for revis. I think that is not much of an upgrade. they are both elite (lockdown) cornerbacks in my eyes (along with haden peterson and sherman and possibly verner). that being said, if revis is prime, it is somewhat of an upgrade because in my opinion he got robbed of a defensive mvp and was the best defensive player in the league not too long ago. We also added browner, and after his suspension that could really really solidify our secondary if he wasn't just a system player, when you consider that dennard could be deadly in the nickel becasue i think he is quite aggressive and a good fighter. The safety position lacks a real cornerstone player but mccourty can ball hawk a bit. Then you consider linebackers, collins appears to have promise (all we need is decent play from him plus he can cover) and if mayo is himself he is an elite leader and will consistenly eat what he is fed. Then you consider wilfork(huge questionmarks about health and performance), kelly (is he going to be healthy?, easley (great prospect if he is healthy) and our rushers in ninko and chandler jones.

We could if players are themselves to a degree, have a complete defense, anchored by an elite secondary, a stout interior line, with solid linebacking play and some decent pass rush. This all hinges on the health of our interior line, because if one part crumbles the rest falls apart.

Moving onto offense, we have a very good offense line (without weaknesses) especially if solder takes the next step, mankins is already top notch. We lack a lengthy speedster on offense, however we have the quick passing game players, we have brady, and we have gronk to open everything up (IF HE IS HEALTHY IF IF IF IF), on top of that we have 2 great running backs (IF ridley quits fumbling), one really adds to the o-line play what i mean is ridley creates yardage himself, he turns 1/2 yard runs into 7 yard runs because he is quite elusive and has good acceleration, and vereen is very high utility because he literally can be deployed everywhere. The tight end is really the only issue and if gronk is himself, then we have the best tight end football bar-none, he's as good a receiver as graham(who the nfl screwed) and he can block like a champ. Look at his fucking stats.

Long story short, the biggest issue with the patriots seems to be HEALTH, which cannot be underestimated. If health, isn't a large problem this year, then they are quite possibly the most complete team in the BIZ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so who is your guys' teams??? how do you think they will be ???? Who are the top dawgs this year??? who are your division winners??? Who the fuck is coming out of the nfc west??? Fucking seattle and san fransisco are like MMH and aquaman right now literally make every one look like shit, but they have fucking potential top tiers in their division. Plus aaron rodgers is jesus christ the qb and denver has a cornerback now and omg the lions are the fantasy all-star team for 2014 and for the love of god the nfc east sucks.

TLDR

I love Pats they might be super saiyan, but every key player has huge question marks in regards to health. Also NFC WEST IS crazy

@AK Smarrgasm : btw trent richardson is a bill, just like ares.

Odoyle

Drops combos
I'm a Dolphins fan. One of the so called laughing stocks of the league. But honestly the Dolphins are the definition of a treadmill team, we just have a lot of off the field issues too which makes them seem worse than .500.

Did beat the Pats late in the season, that was awesome... Followed by losing to the Bills (perfect name for that team as a NRS community member lol) and Jets to secure a 4th straight non playoff season. 19th pick in the draft though! lol

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
So, (NFL) football season is coming up... i am very excited and will be in a picks pool... and i decided to make a football thread so we can discuss this and i can be an opinionated jerk and argue with you guys and be a know it all. I love football, i watch shitloads of football and it is my favorite sport. I follow the league religiously. (i also love basketball)
SKIP the following if you don't give a fuck about the patriots and like totally don't feel like reading my rant:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a patriots fan. I think they look as complete as they have in a long time. But i have serious doubt also. Last year injuries prevented our defense from really being well-rounded, we lost too much influence on the run game with mayo and wilfork out, and we really especially in the playoffs could not penetrate and had no pass rush so our secondary was exposed ( i thought a large part of this was wilfork being out). Despite this a lot of other players played decently but we had too many holes.

This year we subbed out talib for revis. I think that is not much of an upgrade. they are both elite (lockdown) cornerbacks in my eyes (along with haden peterson and sherman and possibly verner). that being said, if revis is prime, it is somewhat of an upgrade because in my opinion he got robbed of a defensive mvp and was the best defensive player in the league not too long ago. We also added browner, and after his suspension that could really really solidify our secondary if he wasn't just a system player, when you consider that dennard could be deadly in the nickel becasue i think he is quite aggressive and a good fighter. The safety position lacks a real cornerstone player but mccourty can ball hawk a bit. Then you consider linebackers, collins appears to have promise (all we need is decent play from him plus he can cover) and if mayo is himself he is an elite leader and will consistenly eat what he is fed. Then you consider wilfork(huge questionmarks about health and performance), kelly (is he going to be healthy?, easley (great prospect if he is healthy) and our rushers in ninko and chandler jones.

We could if players are themselves to a degree, have a complete defense, anchored by an elite secondary, a stout interior line, with solid linebacking play and some decent pass rush. This all hinges on the health of our interior line, because if one part crumbles the rest falls apart.

Moving onto offense, we have a very good offense line (without weaknesses) especially if solder takes the next step, mankins is already top notch. We lack a lengthy speedster on offense, however we have the quick passing game players, we have brady, and we have gronk to open everything up (IF HE IS HEALTHY IF IF IF IF), on top of that we have 2 great running backs (IF ridley quits fumbling), one really adds to the o-line play what i mean is ridley creates yardage himself, he turns 1/2 yard runs into 7 yard runs because he is quite elusive and has good acceleration, and vereen is very high utility because he literally can be deployed everywhere. The tight end is really the only issue and if gronk is himself, then we have the best tight end football bar-none, he's as good a receiver as graham(who the nfl screwed) and he can block like a champ. Look at his fucking stats.

Long story short, the biggest issue with the patriots seems to be HEALTH, which cannot be underestimated. If health, isn't a large problem this year, then they are quite possibly the most complete team in the BIZ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so who is your guys' teams??? how do you think they will be ???? Who are the top dawgs this year??? who are your division winners??? Who the fuck is coming out of the nfc west??? Fucking seattle and san fransisco are like MMH and aquaman right now literally make every one look like shit, but they have fucking potential top tiers in their division. Plus aaron rodgers is jesus christ the qb and denver has a cornerback now and omg the lions are the fantasy all-star team for 2014 and for the love of god the nfc east sucks.

TLDR

I love Pats they might be super saiyan, but every key player has huge question marks in regards to health. Also NFC WEST IS crazy

@AK Smarrgasm : btw trent richardson is a bill, just like ares.
I live in California now, but spent over 30 years of my life just outside of Boston. Good to meet another Patriots fan, because in Cali - few and FAR between. Good assessment of the current state of the team, too. Edelman/Amendola staying healthy is key to our offense, but having the Vereen/ Gronk threat on the field take a lot of the pressure off of our deeper receivers. Like you said, we seem to have all of the tools, just need to keep them sharp.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I'm a Dolphins fan. One of the so called laughing stocks of the league. But honestly the Dolphins are the definition of a treadmill team, we just have a lot of off the field issues too which makes them seem worse than .500.

Did beat the Pats late in the season, that was awesome... Followed by losing to the Bills (perfect name for that team as a NRS community member lol) and Jets to secure a 4th straight non playoff season. 19th pick in the draft though! lol
I hope that Miami is really able to pull it all together this year. I really would like a more competitive division.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I used to be a religious NFL fan as well, specifically the Titans, but last year was the first year I started losing interest. It's just such a waste of time, especially if you are like me and read every article and follow everything there is to do with your team. I may not be entirely in the know anymore but I will still root for my Titans.

BTW, they are a sleeper team. They've actually had young and underrated talent for a while now but it's held back by terrible playcalling and terrible offensive line play (I'm sick of people for some reason thinking we have a good line and placing the blame on Chris Johnson). Hopefully Whisenhunt and co. will lead us the the playoffs! PLAYOFFS!??!?

I'm a rams fan, i've cried myself to sleep for the last 5 years using my Marshall Faulk jersey to wipe up the tears, and have sweet dreams of glory day's past.

They might be decent this year though.
so might the cardinals, their defense looks stout, no daryl washington though which is key. The rams will rush the passer like champs, bradford though...

that division is fucking nuts.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Fanatic bears fan. My online tag used to be dabearscq(which is now STB KARL MALONE). I think the bears have the best offense they have had this year since 1985. They added a shit load of guys on defense and really have no excuse to at least get to the NFC championship only to lose to the 49ers. The niners need normalized. I dont agree with seattle being strong. They lost half their defense, golden tates gone, and sidney rice retired. Which leaves doug fucking baldwin as one of their main targets for russel wilson(good luck there). That and the combination of lynch holding out should be enough to almost keep them out of the playoffs. Plus you know what happens when seahawks get paid finally?(see shawn alexander and matt hassleback)

mfkaoz

Banned
I've been an Eagles fan since '02. Haven't really followed them since the tragedy that was the 2010-2011 when they built the "dream team" and got bodied by everyone.

I used to be a religious NFL fan as well, specifically the Titans, but last year was the first year I started losing interest. It's just such a waste of time, especially if you are like me and read every article and follow everything there is to do with your team. I may not be entirely in the know anymore but I will still root for my Titans.

BTW, they are a sleeper team. They've actually had young and underrated talent for a while now but it's held back by terrible playcalling and terrible offensive line play (I'm sick of people for some reason thinking we have a good line and placing the blame on Chris Johnson). Hopefully Whisenhunt and co. will lead us the the playoffs! PLAYOFFS!??!?

I like locker, but he's never fucking healthy. he's been better hwen he plays then i thought he would.... that division is kind of weak... i really could see the texans taking it. Simply because everytime i watch ryan fitzpatrick he looks great and then blows up. I think fitzpatrick on a really talented team, with clowney and watt destroying offensive lines could prove to be successful. But if i would put money on it, i would say the colts. The colts are kind of weak in terms of talent, but andrew luck is in the "elite" category with about 5 other quarterbacks. The kid literally has no weaknesses and ran a better 40 than manziel (who i think is a bust). Luck processes so quickly and has a wicked quick release and makes few mistakes. He really is already elite and there was a pole on nfl personel and he was rated elite amongst brees brady manning rodgers... (i put rodgers at #1 because his mobility seperates him from the other 3). I was saying that months before to people, " i bet if you took coaches like bill they would tell you just how good he is," its a shame he isn't on a better team.

Best QBR last year, can't wait for this season already, finally something we can agree on :)

if he plays like last yearthe whole year he will be an mvp candidate. They are the safe bet and have the least ? marks in the nfc east. I worry about their defense and physicality, but being able to score and run plays that efficiently really fatigues defenses. Maclin i always thought was a more solid receiver and route runner than jackson, he needs health. But losing jackson is big, guy is a home run threat.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
if he plays like last yearthe whole year he will be an mvp candidate. They are the safe bet and have the least ? marks in the nfc east. I worry about their defense and physicality, but being able to score and run plays that efficiently really fatigues defenses. Maclin i always thought was a more solid receiver and route runner than jackson, he needs health. But losing jackson is big, guy is a home run threat.
the dude is so safe, he fits the offense to a T. I feel that jackson complemented the offense well because of the nature of the play calling. you open up so many receivers when you have a deep threat like that. if Jackson stayed with mac and all the additions, easily a top 3 offense.

Fanatic bears fan. My online tag used to be dabearscq(which is now STB KARL MALONE). I think the bears have the best offense they have had this year since 1985. They added a shit load of guys on defense and really have no excuse to at least get to the NFC championship only to lose to the 49ers. The niners need normalized. I dont agree with seattle being strong. They lost half their defense, golden tates gone, and sidney rice retired. Which leaves doug fucking baldwin as one of their main targets for russel wilson(good luck there). That and the combination of lynch holding out should be enough to almost keep them out of the playoffs. Plus you know what happens when seahawks get paid finally?(see shawn alexander and matt hassleback)

I watched the seahawks a lot last year, they were 4 players deep at defensive end, they lost depth but the starting core has talent. I think the depth is a big loss, because it allows you to platoon guys and get max effort. The fact of the matter is, on paper their defensive line is still good and they still have talent at pass rush with irvin, avril and bennet, their linebacking core is still intact, and most importantly the legion of boom is still intact. They are able to group 8 guys in the box and play extremely aggressive as a beneficiary of having an over-the top good secondary (earl thomas is more valuable than sherman imo). Their core design can still be implemented (and their coaching staff seems so good at it and i really think coaching is 2nd to qb), i could see them falling off as a result of a lack of depth but if i were putting money on it they might still be the most well-rounded d in the league.

When considering the seahawks offense. They are going to have a healthy percy harvin (essentially he replaces the more stable investment of tate), tate is a big loss (rice was never healthy too begin with so i don't see how his retirement matters), but baldwin and kearse might not be elite, they are scrappy and good blockers and have good hands and make key plays. They are competent enough at receiver to follow through on the plays wilson makes. Also consider their run attack gives them balance. Last year, russell wilson bailed them out of so many games when half their offensive line went down. Give russell wilson another year under his belt, a more stable o-line (not that it matters because he seems to be better on the run), and everything in tact they might actually see improvement on offense. This is just what i would say is a safe bet. That division is really really lethal.

In regards to the bears, yes they added players, but those players don't necessary solve the issues entirely. They were laughably bad against the run. Ratliff might help, but remember he was cut, and jared allen is way past his prime, and houston will be a solid addition. They will be better, their secondary isn't bad and as far as i can tell they aren't too bad at linebacker. They shouldn't be as bad as 161 yards per game against the run. Offensively, forte marshall (who is top 5) and jeffrey are all elite skill players. The bears should make a lot of big plays. But remember, jay fucking cutler is your quarterback. I just don't trust them. They have some promise, and could very well burst out and be elite. But if you want my two cents on the division, i'll take a healthy aaron rodgers lead packers. Similarly an offensive juggernaut with defensive issues. The lions and the bears have the most talent. And if the bears drastically improve on defense then they have to be considered as a contender. That division is all offense and no defense. Unless fucking ndamukong suh eats the other teams alive. I still live under the notion that the nfc west, mainly the 9ers and hawks, seem to be on another level physically and strategically. Maybe i am wrong but i don't think the seahawks will fall of hard. But i wouldn't be hugely surprised and if the cardinals and/or rams take their place.

When you discuss

Last edited:

MrSoloLobo

I like locker, but he's never fucking healthy. he's been better hwen he plays then i thought he would.... that division is kind of weak... i really could see the texans taking it. Simply because everytime i watch ryan fitzpatrick he looks great and then blows up. I think fitzpatrick on a really talented team, with clowney and watt destroying offensive lines could prove to be successful. But if i would put money on it, i would say the colts. The colts are kind of weak in terms of talent, but andrew luck is in the "elite" category with about 5 other quarterbacks. The kid literally has no weaknesses and ran a better 40 than manziel (who i think is a bust). Luck processes so quickly and has a wicked quick release and makes few mistakes. He really is already elite and there was a pole on nfl personel and he was rated elite amongst brees brady manning rodgers... (i put rodgers at #1 because his mobility seperates him from the other 3). I was saying that months before to people, " i bet if you took coaches like bill they would tell you just how good he is," its a shame he isn't on a better team.
Locker is pretty good and he's exciting to watch so I'm willing to give him one more year to play a full season. Fitzpatrick was such a bill. Gives you hope for 3 quarters then throws it away, literally!!! As for Luck, he doesn't do as well against the Titans as he does against other teams and that's all I care about lol.

The main issue with the Titans is that they are unable to close/finish games. Look at the scores from last year. Only two of their losses weren't close. Rest of the games were winnable and came to the fourth quarter. Hopefully we can win some of those games this year and become a 10+ win team.

MrSoloLobo

I'm a rams fan, i've cried myself to sleep for the last 5 years using my Marshall Faulk jersey to wipe up the tears, and have sweet dreams of glory day's past.

They might be decent this year though.
Not a chance with Jeff Fisher lolololol

dolphins are a tough out... either them or the jets will be better this year, rex ryan always puts together a good d, he's a great coach, but miami does have some talent on both sides and tannehill sometimes looks pretty good. that being said he might get sacked 4000 times this year and hold on the ball for a year. I'll put my money on the jets because miami's o-line is in turmoil and michael vick is going to steal geno's spot. But really the afc sucks outside of maybe 3 teams.

oh one more thing guys... i'm not so sure about johnny. He's got that fucking god-given football thingy, but he's undersized, he's not a particularly fundamentally sound and wonderful decision maker, and he's not even an elite athlete for the possession when you consider other mobile types. So many experts hate him... People say russell wilson but i am not so sure he will be so in control and sound like russell. I really am leaning towards bust.

Vagrant

Noob
Huge nfl fan.

confident about my bears to make noise in the postseason this year. Some key players have to stay healthy.

I'll elaborate after class.

I think the cards and eagles take a step forward as well this year.