What's new

Video/Tutorial - Tempest New patch 50-55% percent 1 meter and safe set-ups

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Honestly this is definitely going to be patched but I hope they don't take away the plus frames to much or take away the combo ability.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Honestly this is definitely going to be patched but I hope they don't take away the plus frames to much or take away the combo ability.
I doubt it, Kung Lao has no variation where he can actually get any damage other than tempest. On top of that his rushdown is meter dependent rather than stamina dependent, and the use of the tempest hat also takes away the spin guess game on block, but its important to make certain strings safe to cancel into orbit hat.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I doubt it, Kung Lao has no variation where he can actually get any damage other than tempest. On top of that his rushdown is meter dependent rather than stamina dependent, and the use of the tempest hat also takes away the spin guess game on block, but its important to make certain strings safe to cancel into orbit hat.
Even so, you know there will be complaining. :\

Even so, you know there will be complaining. :\
i don't think it will be patched. It just got added and they probably thought about this for a bit. Like foxy said its only damaging varation and they need to make the varation worth using esp since they nerfed the reversal on it. Still 2nd to Buzzsaw.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Alright I've been pondering between Erron Black, Kung Lao and Cassie for a 3rd main to mess around with and Kung Lao's lookin sweet I must say. Really like his movement too he's quick and smooth

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I wouldn't be surprised if they did they way NRS is with nerfing, but if anything I think they will just do a damage scale like they did with Raiden.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

GT = SIR JAY LEGEND add me on XBL for matches
Tempest is great but I preffer hat trick, I'm working on some nice oki set ups. One of the weaknesses I found with Kung Lao is 1 outside of Buzzsaw he has very few low hitting strings that can be comboed into.

But with hat trick I tend to do this.

Hardknock down > df2 > dd2 > (if blocked) f23 > teleport 3 > b321 > df 1 > f1 > df2 and repeat.

If the hat call back isn't blocked I tend to do this: Spin > j3 > d4 > f1 > df2.

What I aim for in this variation is to stay close. And use the hat call back as pressure here's a quick vid I did. Showing off one combo. I'm pretty new to the game but this is what I've come up with.

http://xboxclips.com/BLOOD+CAPTAIN+X/0ccc385a-852a-4ad2-9190-2934d0e8df9b

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
Johnny used to get 11% chip or something for a bar right?
KL gets 8% chip for a bar AND more blockstun, not to mention a shit tonne more damage on hit.

I'll let you figure it out
Does it involve alot of f2 and 11212? Curious I messed around with Tempest today and I fell in love with his pressure game. I love that kind of play.

Wasted

Noob
So, orbit hat is plus on block meterless?

I don't have a PS4, so I don't know anything about how Tempest is going to play.

Orbit hat is the ex version and is +26 on block. Just go into the lab cancel a string into orbit hat and continue with a string again. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out guys. Just look at the frame data to see what strings are best to use and what is interruptable or not interruptable.

You can't nerf the damage in tempest, otherwise you nerf the characters damage entirely, 4 4 is a universal string across all variations, and so far I've found literally ONE safe use for it.
other combos are fine but like b2/11212 hat spin into 44 is what makes it really access to high damage. They could just make it so you can't combo with 44 after a string into hat spin. This would not affect his other damage. I am all for fairness and the damage right now seems a little ridiculous and i am a lao player.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
other combos are fine but like b2/11212 hat spin into 44 is what makes it really access to high damage. They could just make it so you can't combo with 44 after a string into hat spin. This would not affect his other damage. I am all for fairness and the damage right now seems a little ridiculous and i am a lao player.
Well it depends, if he doesnt have damage, what does he have in tempest?
Orbiting hat can shut down footsies for a limited time, but he's got no way to open you up.
We'll see, it might be justifiable, it might not.

Well it depends, if he doesnt have damage, what does he have in tempest?
Orbiting hat can shut down footsies for a limited time, but he's got no way to open you up.
We'll see, it might be justifiable, it might not.
Well its not like he doesnt get high damage without it. Its still over 30% meterless and near 40% meterless off of b321. I wouldnt want any other change and imo getting rid of 44 after a string into hat spin is the only solution I can think of without affecting his other damage. Either way well see how paulo deals with this or just leave it as is.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Well its not like he doesnt get high damage without it. Its still over 30% meterless and near 40% meterless off of b321. I wouldnt want any other change and imo getting rid of 44 after a string into hat spin is the only solution I can think of without affecting his other damage. Either way well see how paulo deals with this or just leave it as is.
My guess is that it'll stay, its quite a short hit confirm window if you're using the orbit hat in general footsies as it is. Any less and it could become as impractical as it was pre-patch

My guess is that it'll stay, its quite a short hit confirm window if you're using the orbit hat in general footsies as it is. Any less and it could become as impractical as it was pre-patch
Ive only messed with the new tempest thursday but i ll be home tonight to mess with it more. What I had in mind was use the normal hat spin for footsies and getting in and ex for pressure. I am pretty sure the normal hat spin had a much bigger window for hitconforming especially if it is off a raw hat spin. I think its too easy to waste meter if you use orbiting hat during the neutral game, unless you have found a significant advantage in the ex version in the neutral game.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Ive only messed with the new tempest thursday but i ll be home tonight to mess with it more. What I had in mind was use the normal hat spin for footsies and getting in and ex for pressure. I am pretty sure the normal hat spin had a much bigger window for hitconforming especially if it is off a raw hat spin. I think its too easy to waste meter if you use orbiting hat during the neutral game, unless you have found a significant advantage in the ex version in the neutral game.
What I'm looking for is a way to safely get the tempest hat out at the end of a combo AND still be at advantage to throw out a normal, cause that'd be armour breaking/anti wakeup all day.