Netflix PS3 Disc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ZAQ, Oct 31, 2009.

1. ZAQ

ZAQ Site Admin Staff Member

2. iammud

iammud Member

WORD! I just signed up for my free disc thingy...

wow, nutflix is a lot nicer than the last time I tried it. streaming videos to go along with your disc rentals FTW! I hope ps3 has streaming video included too...
  3. ZAQ

From my understanding of it, this disc is exactly that.
    PS3 users need this disc until they upgrade the PS3's firmware to support streaming without the disc.

The have patched Netflix several times on xbl, and it works quite a bit better than it used to.
    The bandwidth checking takes less time, selecting streams from your console, etc.
  4. iammud

iammud Member

I'm an idiot, of course that's ALL it is, lol... What would be the point of offering a disc for dvd rentals only if the system already has a browser.
  5. xDisciplex

xDisciplex New Member

Sounds cool - signed up for my disc...probably won't be out till the end of the year though.

Hope it somehow will work with HD streaming since it is PS3 - we can hope right :)
  6. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

got mine yesterday. it's pretty cool. watched a movie and there were no network hicups or anything. worked pretty smoothly. My only beef is that a lot of things that should be in HD aren't. There is some HD content though
  7. iammud

iammud Member

where the fuck is my disc?
  8. wazz

wazz Top Kontributor

in the post
  9. iammud

iammud Member

I know, I ordered one and haven't received it...
  10. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

I got mine just yesterday so you could have it waiting for ya on monday
  11. xDisciplex

xDisciplex New Member

Weird you got yours this early..when I signed up it said it wasn't going to be released till 2010?
  12. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

that's odd. engadget.com said they were starting to get theirs last week so I wasn't too suprised when mine showed up this week. they could have been referring to the firmware update that will allow for it without the use of the disc. that's not due till 2010
  13. david_GEM

david_GEM Guest

hahahahahahahahaha
  14. iammud

iammud Member

Ugh, this ps3 service is sub par. Every 15 or so minutes I get a "retrieving" pop-up. I don't get this when streaming on the PC.
  15. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

I watched a 1.5hr movie and didn't get any popups which I was worried about. When did you watch? I watched mine at like 2pm on a Sunday so it could have been a low traffic time. Wireless/Wired?
  16. xDisciplex

xDisciplex New Member

I got my disc yesterday and got annoyed on my first try. Tried to watch a movie and it took about 10 minutes to first load it and then 5 minutes into the movie, it popped up again and had to "retrieve" some more...which took literally 30 minutes.. then it played for about 7 minutes..then popped up again.

Waiting nearly an hour to watch 12 min of a movie is ridiculous. No clue why it is so slow - I'm using it in conjunction with my wireless router, but I've always had a fast connection from it with my mac and pc laptops when I'm online or gaming.

:(
  17. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

yeah, that seems unreasonable. I've got my ps3 on a wired connection so that may have been the difference but it seems that even then it shouldn't have been that slow. I'll try again tonight with some HD content and see what happens
  18. iammud

iammud Member

from like 4am till 8am... no wireless, could be my internet but as I said I never had any problems on the PC version...
  19. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

just watched another movie at 8pm and I had 0 network interruptions or retrieving messages. I could be closer to my area's servers.
  20. ZAQ

I was expecting there to be problems with this.
    It doesn't really seem like booting a streaming program from a disc would be efficient 100% of the time.

On 360 I almost never get problems, and I use it a lot. It replaces tv for me, and most of the time I am not even watching it but have it playing.

When you guys get a firmware update, I think it will be fine. You can stream a video on wifi through Netflix easily on PC, so I'm sure it isn't a big deal to do it on a console.
  21. Vassago187

Vassago187 New Member

just strange that it works well for me but not for others. Just dont' know what the variables are
  22. iammud

iammud Member

Found out something interesting with netflix and the buffering issue, it's the controller. When no controllers are turned on it wont buffer while playing the video, once your last buffer runs out you get the pop up again. Turn the controller back on, and it stops giving me the buffer screen. If I leave a ps2 controller w/ adapter plugged in and assigned as p4 it runs fine (or just disable controller auto-turnoff/leave controller plugged in). Rather strange bug...
  23. wazz

wazz Top Kontributor

is this netflix thing available in uk
  24. iammud

iammud Member

I think it's US only...

Zaq, does 360 netflix limit the amount of stuff you can stream? Like on here you have a limit of 100 per catagory to browse by. I haven't figured out how to search, or browse alphabetically. If 360 has these features I might get a HD and hook that up instead for netflix cause ps3's is janky.
  25. ZAQ

Im not sure how it works.
    Their website system isnt the best. It is designed to look like there is more stuff than there is.

I'm sure it will get better eventually but it is pretty dumb right now.
    Don't get me wrong, it's worth it, but it could be a lot better.

I will search for some stuff by using their menus and I can never find stuff that I want, but when I manually search the site I can find a lot of things that haven't come up before. I don't really watch it most of the time anyway, I usually just leave it on while I am doing other shit on the pc.
    I can never just do one thing at a time, it drives me nuts.