What's new

Video/Tutorial - Quan Chi "My MKX Quan Chi time!" @ London Comic-Con by ENDeverMORE

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
Coming hot off of the London Comic-Con, ENDeverMORE had some time to dive deep in to Quan Chi. Below are his notes and impressions from playing him in his different variations. While, we cannot take these notes too literal as the game is in early development it's still nice to know what Quan Chi currently plays like.

quanchisummoner.png

1st off: Instant main, I like how I play him, and he is the coolest, he got me to play mk9 ffs! So yeah instant main! Add me to that list thing!
Now a list and comment on his specials, both comments at the time, and in hindsight.
His fireballs db2, which has the same input for air, feels the same as in mk9 Imo.
Trance bf3... I think, can't quite agree with myself that but whatever, feels the same too, just as unsafe on block, if not worse..
Runes are db1 and the neutral b or f for distances... I think I didn't use them as much, they both knockdown on hit, don't know if mb is unblockable.
Looking back, I feel as if a jumping skull after a blocked rune would be hard to avoid, providing its done fast enough.

He has a low combo starter, B324 which you can combo another string into, started just using 1 trance, but found b12 trance.
f132 (I think): starts overhead, but ends in knockdown. 3 in that string is special cancelable.
f2122: is a cool string to slap on the end of trance after a combo, I didn't experiment with special canceling anywhere in the string, for some silly reason...
as for variations, I played with warlock and sorcerer, but I left summoner, it had a lot to it, and I could quite remember what inputs there were, but there are more than in the trailer! A few use the stance flip button so that's interesting. I can see how summoner can be pretty decent in the long run.
His d2 doesn't feel as fast as the old one, but it anti air's pretty well.

sorcerer was the first one I tried, a rule with sorcerer though, is only one rune at a time
dd3 is the armour rune, no one throw fireballs at me, but while I was in the circle I had one hit of armour, so a few reckless trades were in my favour! Ending a combo with 21 which knocks down, into the same armor rune.
Also there is one final rune: dd2, where he places it on the opponents feet, didn't quite know what it does, but my instincts tell me that if it is placed by the enemy, and they have a red aura while in it, it must be bad for them... :/ I found it really easy to keep people in it while they're in the corner.
The last of the runes is the damage buff one dd1, which I'm quite spectical of. I don't quite know how much more damage it adds to pillars or skulls, or anything else, but analysing it, both characters have the same effect when they enter, I'm actually thinking it might buff opponent specials, and to dig deeper in speculation, maybe all runes effect both characters? I was quite looking from red mist over Quan, and I didn't have to deal with any armour while people were in the runes. So that rules that out.

The warlock variation is interesting.
It adds portal throw df2, and its a blockable, high? Full screen move. MB is portal stab which has more range and can combo into portal kick (f3 full screen normal that knocks down) and in hindsight, maybe trance... I don think so though.
It adds inputs into 2 strings: 212+4 which ends the string with portal...kick, and 121+3 which ends in a throw, and can be mb'ed to continue the combo. I remembered that in the trailer it looked like he comboed into throw, but I couldn't quite manage it, or I didn't look at the moves list hard enough.

That's all I remember as of when I'm typing this so this is something for others to work with when they get to play MKX next.
So overall: I think he'd be good with a defensive or keep away character, I really like it, I always tend to lean towards the defensive playstyle regardless of what character I use on any game. So guaranteed main!

edit:
somethings I should add to summoner: You cast the bat, the moment it goes away, either over time or when you do a move, you can summon it again.
edited/promoted by STORMS*

Last edited:

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
ohhhhh so the armored circle has 1 hit of physical armor and projectile invincible. that must be the answer. that's cool.

question about the red circle (dd2) does it follow the opponent or are they only debuffed when they're in the circle? if so, it maybe only be for corners or defensive opponents who stay in one spot. and does it track or is it like his runes where you need to direct them with F or B?

spell circles affect BOTH players? uh oh...

you listed his trance as df3, but isn't it bf3?

oh.. you mean his portal throw in warlock isn't full screen?

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
ohhhhh so the armored circle has 1 hit of physical armor and projectile invincible. that must be the answer. that's cool.

question about the red circle (dd2) does it follow the opponent or are they only debuffed when they're in the circle? if so, it maybe only be for corners or defensive opponents who stay in one spot. and does it track or is it like his runes where you need to direct them with F or B?

spell circles affect BOTH players? uh oh...

you listed his trance as df3, but isn't it bf3?

oh.. you mean his portal throw in warlock isn't full screen?
my punctuation on that bit was sketchy... I typed it on my phone, portal throw IS full screen.
and dd2 isn't place in areas, it'll track the enemy but it wont follow when placed. And debuff runes effecting both players is purely speculation on my part, I doubt it, but its something to think about. And trance is bf3 yes, my bad thanks for pointing them out :)

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
phew, good lol. when you mentioned the portal throw, you said the mb has more range, so i thought you meant the regular one wasn't full screen.

very nice thanks for the writeup. hopefully someone got some footage from the convention too ;)

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
phew, good lol. when you mentioned the portal throw, you said the mb has more range, so i thought you meant the regular one wasn't full screen.

very nice thanks for the writeup. hopefully someone got some footage from the convention too ;)
no cameras were allowed unfortunately :/ but by more range, I mean more range from the portal, people would just run out of the throw range as Quans hand were coming out, but the sword caught a few people that ran or dashed out.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
no cameras were allowed unfortunately :/ but by more range, I mean more range from the portal, people would just run out of the throw range as Quans hand were coming out, but the sword caught a few people that ran or dashed out.
oh i know but look at the guy who got 45 minutes of footage in the brazil convention. they also weren't allowed to bring cameras and he said his was taken away a few times.

ohh i see that's cool. it did look like portal throw had a lot of startup. it looked like the portal stab was also faster on startup too. do you think you can do like EX portal stab, dash, trance into combo?

did your skulls leave a purple debuff aura around the opponent's head while you were in a purple spell circle like it does in quan's trailer? i wish i knew the debuff in the red circle. it can't be a debuff to opponent's damage because that wouldn't be useful.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Inb4 the grammar police's heads explode to thank you profusely for providing so much insight into such a badass character.

I'm guessing the full-screen portal special comes out faster than most projectiles can travel to Quan and thus acts as an anti-zoning tool?

And is it just me or does Sorceror Quan Chi already sound like he has a top tier corner game just ending every combo with the armor rune? Let's go Bane Chi! HYPE!

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
that's what I was thinking with portal stab, I only thought of that on the train back though :/ would be VERY awesome if it were possible, and as for the purple aura, I think it did, I didn't use the purple spell circle too much though kept using the armour one for trades :p

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
Inb4 the grammar police's heads explode to thank you profusely for providing so much insight into such a badass character.

I'm guessing the full-screen portal special comes out faster than most projectiles can travel to Quan and thus acts as an anti-zoning tool?

And is it just me or does Sorceror Quan Chi already sound like he has a top tier corner game just ending every combo with the armor rune? Let's go Bane Chi! HYPE!
the auto correct on my phones loves me... What can I say?
cant really judge if pg beats fireballs though, everyone bar one guy were button mashers, and very rarely threw a fireball, casies guns might be a problem with that thought in mind.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
the description for warlock was that it pesters zoners, so hopefully. if the portal attacks do more damage than the projectile being thrown at him, he'll win the trade.

that's what i'm thinking! corner combo into hard knockdown, green circle, keep pressuring with strings until they press a button and armor through their attack.

btw, was there any cooldown on the circles? like could you use another one right after the previous one vanished? and you said you can only use one at once, so whichever you use first you have to commit to and wait for it to disappear until you can use another one, right?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
btw, was there any cooldown on the circles? like could you use another one right after the previous one vanished? and you said you can only use one at once, so whichever you use first you have to commit to and wait for it to disappear until you can use another one, right?

My assumption would be no cooldown but every time you cast one, it replaces the previous one. Hopefully @ENDeverMORE can verify though.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
the description for warlock was that it pesters zoners, so hopefully. if the portal attacks do more damage than the projectile being thrown at him, he'll win the trade.

that's what i'm thinking! corner combo into hard knockdown, green circle, keep pressuring with strings until they press a button and armor through their attack.

when you place one you're stuck with it till it wares out, then you can place a different one

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Haha. The nerd in me thinks rune tap, so the bit of tech I gound involving the armor rune I'll call the corner tap. Basically imagine the one hit of armor and basically pinning someone down and laying the rune: then it's Bane time. I actually liked it, and the rune time is pretty nifty. That being said, did you have the same problem of grabs overriding the armor?

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
Haha. The nerd in me thinks rune tap, so the bit of tech I gound involving the armor rune I'll call the corner tap. Basically imagine the one hit of armor and basically pinning someone down and laying the rune: then it's Bane time. I actually liked it, and the rune time is pretty nifty. That being said, did you have the same problem of grabs overriding the armor?
I was rarely thrown, not while in my circle though :/ so I don't know.