Sinestro: 4-6
Superman: 5-5
Wonder Woman: 5-5
Zatanna: 3-7
Zod: 4-6

Now marvel at how shit my list is.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I like that Aquaman #. I needed a good alt for Batman, and I'm glad I was right about GL.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Aquaman is 5-5 but other than that this looks legit

i still remember people thinking i was an idiot for saying GL had 8-10 bad matchups prepatch lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I like that Aquaman #. I needed a good alt for Batman, and I'm glad I was right about GL.
That's just my opinion on it. I think GL's ability to make him blow trait on blocked trident rush is huge. Also, the new trait LM oki game fucks with using trait to nullify b13.

Fred Marvel

THTB

How much Ares experience do you have?
Not in a while. I don't know exactly how much has changed, but I do remember that GL has slight trouble with his zoning game and I'd imagine the new teleports fuck with the oki game majorly (that's particularly why I'm saying even). Also, GL's footsies in general are better, last I recall.

Fred Marvel

That's just my opinion on it. I think GL's ability to make him blow trait on blocked trident rush is huge. Also, the new trait LM oki game fucks with using trait to nullify b13.

Fred Marvel
i dont think trident rush is a big factor in this MU and if anything he would use it less but i do agree wholeheartedly about trait LM helping alot and fucking up his trait usage

THTB

i dont think trident rush is a big factor in this MU and if anything he would use it less but i do agree wholeheartedly about trait LM helping alot and fucking up his trait usage
It's chip damage that Aquaman could be getting while playing the lifelead game. The fact that GL is forcing him to blow trait in order to do this safely is a big, because it means Aquaman is burning resources. That can give GL a good opening if he does this due to trait being burnt.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Not in a while. I don't know exactly how much has changed, but I do remember that GL has slight trouble with his zoning game and I'd imagine the new teleports fuck with the oki game majorly (that's particularly why I'm saying even). Also, GL's footsies in general are better, last I recall.
You can't really get away with your normal j3 and f3/b1 resets much because Ares can teleport out, but the set up where you throw a meaty fireball and then MB it on reaction demolishes all of Ares wake ups. If Ares does anything other than block or spend a bar for MB teleport GL gets a full combo, and even if Ares does MB teleport he's left at frame disadvantage and doesn't get anything.

GL's footsies are way better than Ares. Ares basically has nothing footsie-wise in this match up. If GL is moving(GL's standing hitbox isn't as floaty) his hit box floats over Ares d1 so Ares has to be basically touching him for d1 to connect. Once Ares is in b1 range he basically can't move. He has no moves that can compete and his walk speed and backdash are bad enough that it's extremely difficult getting out of b1 range.
Ares also has a ton of trouble punishing lift. The only time Ares can punish lift is if he's in b1 range, outside of that GL can basically just throw out on a read or because he feels like Ares might move and there's basically no risk.

I think GL wins the zoning game from anywhere other than full screen as well. His projectiles are too fast and can stuff any trait Ares tries to throw, they do more damage than Ares projectiles, if he tries to Godsmack a fireball GL gets a full combo, and if you jump one of Ares projectiles you get an air fireball. Ares also can't use the far teleports very freely in this match up because GL can punish them well.

The only things Ares really has going for him in this match up are that he can wake up GL's normal oki and that GL doesn't have good wake ups for blowing up Godsmack resets, and both of those don't really end being that big because they basically just end up leaving Ares back in a neutral game where he's at a pretty big disadvantage

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Aquaman seems super 5-5 to me.

4x4lo8o Ares is def not a footsie character in this MU.. He's a keepaway character and that's how any good Ares will play it.

GL can't win the zoning battle when every projectile he throws carries a risk. 1 false move and Ares is all the way across the screen and blowing you up. So I agree with THTB on that one

Fred Marvel

It's chip damage that Aquaman could be getting while playing the lifelead game. The fact that GL is forcing him to blow trait in order to do this safely is a big, because it means Aquaman is burning resources. That can give GL a good opening if he does this due to trait being burnt.
can b1 punish MB trident rush too?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Aquaman seems super 5-5 to me.

4x4lo8o Ares is def not a footsie character in this MU.. He's a keepaway character and that's how any good Ares will play it.

GL can't win the zoning battle when every projectile he throws carries a risk. 1 false move and Ares is all the way across the screen and blowing you up. So I agree with THTB on that one
But Ares can't do that on reaction. It has to be a read, and on a bad read Ares gets punished just as hard. Ares also can't do much to keep GL out. GL can keep patiently moving forward until he's in footsies range or Ares does something he can react to(like throw a fireball from a range where you can jump it on reaction, or teleport which you can punish)

4x4lo8o

Noob
what? GL cant trade with his fireballs, MB fireball hits him ducking and jumping and axe trait does too (not 100% on sword), Ares bops GL in the zoning game & MU is 5-5
MB fireball can be jumped over and punished with GL's air fireball. If it's thrown from a range where you can't jump it on reaction you have to block it standing and eat the chip. Ares relies a lot on his meter, he's not going to keep throwing those if you're blocking all of them, the chip isn't worth it

Axe from many ranges can be stuffed on reaction with your fireball, and any situation where Ares throws it at the same time as you happen to be throwing it Ares loses. You can't jump it, but Ares is taking a risk by throwing it and he only gets it once every 9 seconds.

The only time Ares wins the zoning game is when he's outside the range of GL's air fireball, and even then he's not 'bopping' GL. And again, GL can just walk in, block/crouch/jump a few projectiles and very quickly close the distance and be in a range where Ares struggles

Last edited:

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Aquaman: 4.5-5.5
Ares: 6-4
Bane: 6-4
Batgirl: 4.5-5.5
Batman: 6-4 (Could be better than that for GL)
Black Adam: 6-4
Catwoman: 5.5-4.5
Cyborg: 6-4
Deathstroke: 6-4
Doomsday: 5-5
Flash: 5-5
Green Arrow: 4-6
Grundy: 5-5
Harley Quinn: 5-5 (could be 4-6, not enough experience in this mu)
Hawkgirl: 6-4
Joker: 6-4
Killer Frost: 4-6
Lex Luthor: 6-4
Lobo: 6-4
MMH: 4.5-5.5
Nightwing: 5-5
Raven: 3-7
Scorpion: 5-5
Shazam: 6-4
Sinestro: 4-6
Superman: 4-6
Wonder Woman: 5-5
Zatanna: 4-6 (could be worse, same as harley)
Zod: 4-6

This is my GL matchup chart that everyone is going to start hating on in 3...2...1...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
But Ares can't do that on reaction. It has to be a read, and on a bad read Ares gets punished just as hard. Ares also can't do much to keep GL out. GL can keep patiently moving forward until he's in footsies range or Ares does something he can react to(like throw a fireball from a range where you can jump it on reaction, or teleport which you can punish)
Yeah, but remember Ares has those multiple teleport locations now.. So you can inch forward all you want, but if he wants to get away once you get in, he can usually do so. So most of the match against a good Ares isn't fought up close until it's on his terms.

Also, his trait can knock you out of the air with ease if you're using the jumping rocket, giving him time to do whatever.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
7-3 with Joker? Joker's projectile is faster and he can freely build meter with teeth/gun at full screen. However the biggest problem with this matchup is if Joker gets 1 knockdown GL is in a guessing game because of his trash wakeups. I'd say 5-5 and I might even give the Joker an advantage if there's a interactable stage bounce on the map your playing but let's not get crazy. I really don't get where people get 7-3 in this MU, I play Emperor Darks Joker a lot and I'd say he takes 70% of those games, maybe more. He's a better player than me though so maybe I haven't learned the secret.

God yes to the Zatanna numbers and I'd give Cyborg 6-4 over GL, not 7-3. If GL manages to get in Cyborgs in a bunch of trouble. Solid list overall though.

Fred Marvel

MB fireball can be jumped over and punished with GL's air fireball. If it's thrown from a range where you can't jump it on reaction you have to block it standing and eat the chip. Ares relies a lot on his meter, he's not going to keep throwing those if you're blocking all of them, the chip isn't worth it

Axe from many ranges can be stuffed on reaction with your fireball, and any situation where Ares throws it at the same time as you happen to be throwing it Ares loses. You can't jump it, but Ares is taking a risk by throwing it and he only gets it once every 9 seconds.

The only time Ares wins the zoning game is when he's outside the range of GL's air fireball, and even then he's not 'bopping' GL. And again, GL can just walk in, block/crouch/jump a few projectiles and very quickly close the distance and be in a range where Ares struggles
axe can only be stuffed if i throw a fireball out first, also if GL gets air rocket happy cant you just teleport? i do see how Ares could struggle if GL was about mid range throwing rockets but id expect you to godsmack, tele, or trait to get breathing room