What's new

My First Serious Call Out

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
What did the people recording the video think when you said "Ducky, m2dave, and gross" ?
Where I grew up, everyone goes by nicknames. So I'm sure they thought nothing of it. Pretty common (in my experience at least) that south side of Chicago kids never use regular names.

Ducky won't do it. And I challenged theo but he isn't doing it either
To their defense, why would they? lol

tbh I find this whole bucket challenge thing pretty strange and out of nowhere. Why ALS, why now, why buckets of ice water or donate?

I gotta be honest, personally I wouldn't do or donate much for a random cause affecting 2/100000 people either. Let's just say it's not very high on my list of important causes... But hey if it can make you feel good about yourself by all means shower away.

Last edited:

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati

tbh I find this whole bucket challenge thing pretty strange and out of nowhere. Why ALS, why now, why buckets of ice water or donate?

I gotta be honest, personally I wouldn't do or donate much for a random cause affecting 2/100000 people either. Let's just say it's not very high on my list of important causes... But hey if it can make you feel good about yourself by all means shower away.
It's good to know you are a terrible person.

Reactions: Kyu

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I could give two shits about dumping ice water on my head
So you could give two shits. How much exactly is two shits? Could you give more than two shits? :joker:

The reason ice is used is it's meant to simulate the crippling stabbing pain people who suffer from ALS experience.

I can understand not wanting to donate to a cause which you don't support, but to challenge people's motives as being purely self-centric for donating is both cynical and a bit insulting. Some people truly sympathise and wish to raise money/awareness for ALS and other motor neuron diseases.

Also, while I agree that this doesn't affect a large portion of the population, research into ALS and the development of a cure will have massive downstream effects in treating Parkinson's, muscular dystrophies, multiple sclerosis and other related motor neuron diseases. Not only that, but the pharmaco knowledge garnered from this research could potentially open up many new drug targets for treatment of mental disorders including schizophrenia and depression.

Personally I would prefer to donate my money to a homeless shelter, or to a charity helping struggling families/under privileged children. However, I won't deny that this is a worthy cause simply because the disease is rare (all other downstream effects ignored).

It's good to know you are a terrible person.
He's not a terrible person, he just doesn't agree with the attention the cause is getting. While I personally don't agree with him and think he's slightly misinformed, that doesn't make him a terrible person. Perhaps he is/was a bit too blunt in his statement though.

Last edited:

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
So you could give two shits. How much exactly is two shits? Could you give more than two shits? :joker:

The reason ice is used is it's meant to simulate the crippling stabbing pain people who suffer from ALS experience.

I can understand not wanting to donate to a cause which you don't support, but to challenge people's motives as being purely self-centric for donating is both cynical and a bit insulting. Some people truly sympathise and wish to raise money/awareness for ALS and other motor neuron diseases.

Also, while I agree that this doesn't affect a large portion of the population, research into ALS and the development of a cure will have massive downstream effects in treating Parkinson's, muscular dystrophies, multiple sclerosis and other related motor neuron diseases. Not only that, but the pharmaco knowledge garnered from this research could potentially open up many new drug targets for treatment of mental disorders including schizophrenia and depression.

Personally I would prefer to donate my money to a homeless shelter, or to a charity helping struggling families/under privileged children. However, I won't deny that this is a worthy cause simply because the disease is rare (all other downstream effects ignored).

He's not a terrible person, he just doesn't agree with the attention the cause is getting. While I personally don't agree with him and think he's slightly misinformed, that doesn't make him a terrible person. Perhaps he is/was a bit too blunt in his statement though.
I think that was the most informative post I've read on this whole thing, thank you

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

The problem is only 27% of the money donated goes toward actual research. Most of it goes towards public education, with a little going toward helping the families/communities who already deal with it. Personally I wish they spent a little more on research and less on public education, I feel its more important for researchers to know more about ALS than it is the public.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Good shit. Props for donating as well. A lot of people tend to overlook that part of what the challenge is about.

I trust your new found affinity for ice will steer your heart in the right direction character wise.
There so needs to be a Killer Frost video to "Let it Go"...