What's new

My Brief experience with MKX @ London Comic-Con by DreadKnight1

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Ok, cool. Glad to know. I just didn't want combos, into throws, into more combos that take away 3/4 of your life bar lol
Nah, honestly if you are wasting a bar to do a few extra jabs over something like (say for example) EX Nut Punch, then you'll be losing out on about 7-8% of your end-combo damage.
Its good for set-up, and it gives characters a vortex while also providing a passive combo-break for those aware of what goes on (since you can break out of mid-combo throws).

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
A bit conceived about this MB throw stuff. Did you see if you can still combo into a throw? Last thing we need is a full combo, chained into a MB throw, linked into more damage after the throw.

It'd be especially damaging given Kotal Kahn's apparent damage boost...
You can definitely combo into a throw,not sure about ex throw though.

E

Eldriken

I would like to know this too, but more for specials. Entirely too much chip in NRS games IMO.
At least Injustice is nothing like MK9 in terms of chip damage.

Could you imagine what 17% chip from MB Trident Rush would translate into for MK9? It'd be like 50-75% chip.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
Shame I missed you @DreadKnight1 would have been fun, people I was going with changed their minds after I bought a ticket :( still fun mind you, defiantly going again next time!

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
At least Injustice is nothing like MK9 in terms of chip damage.

Could you imagine what 17% chip from MB Trident Rush would translate into for MK9? It'd be like 50-75% chip.
Having nightmares..... But yeah I hope they continue to somewhat lower it, drives me nuts.

I was luckily able to get a few games in at Comic Con in London, here are my findings/observations with the current build:
  • Raiden has a quick low which strings to a launcher as i accidentally found by mashing.
  • Raiden's displacer variation is the only one to have a teleport and the input for the teleport was down,up. I believe that he doesn't have a first hit overhead move though,he does have a string where it hits overhead 2nd.
  • D'Vorah is a footsy monster with incredible range.
  • Kotal khans risk-reward style move where he cuts himself gives him a huge damage boost(up there with that of level 3 bane).i was uppercuted straight after he did this for a good 17-22%.
  • Raiden has lots of multi hitting strings, his novelist was full of inputs like 1122,213 and other 3/4 hit strings(this was checked in Thunder God variation).
  • Sub zero has a strong knockdown game after a slide hits,the WB representative was stuffing all my wakeups-even teleport.
  • As deduced from the point above:wakeups are much less effective than injustice or even mk9.
  • Scorpion has BnB meterless combos of at least 35-40%.
  • Quan Chi's outro is badass and features skeletal minions surrounding him(a hint for those of you who haven't seen it).
  • Kotal kahn can reliably anti-air with his anti air grab(dunno if this was confirmed or people assumed it was only good for combos).
  • Raiden's superman has much more recovery on whiff(a lot more)
  • Scorpion's ninjutsu variation is probably the easiest of the 3 to use. His combos performed by the WB representative who was probably a tester too were plain looking and involved a lot of the up sword.
  • Based on the speed of raiden's teleport and his strings but without actually knowing frame data,I assume raiden will have around about the same/maybe slightly better pressure and advantage with teleport cancels,he also has a better mixup game in mkx so his up close game was buffed significantly
IMPORTANT EDIT: throws have been altered massively, they now hit arrival opponents and have MB options, I even saw a quan chi player while I was queuing connect a standing 1 or 2 after a MB throw which I believe comboed.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT MY EXPERIENCE WAS BRIEF, I was only able to get a few games in before the queues got huge and also I wanted to explore the rest of the convention.

I'll edit more in if I remember more, questions?

Disclaimer:The build of MKX I played is still subject to change in the time before the game releases.
Two questions:

1. How is the chip damage?

2. Are there 50/50's and if so, are they safe?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Hey man, not to spam you but I've been asking this in pretty much every thread about the game and still have no answer: How's the chip damage on normals?
I can answer that, sorry if I missed you before.

Chip damage has been normalized, but it isn't injustice levels of bad. A full string will still do about 5-8% on chip, not counting connectors and certain character differences (pewpew raiden's Thunder infused strings do quite a fair bit, and of course cut bonuses). That was the build like a bit before this one, but I can't imagine it being too different. So instead of Johnny cage's f.H doing 5% on its own, imagine like reptiles 1122 string doing a bit more than that. So. Strings on block? Still a good idea if you can make them safe. Won't win you the game outright, but it's still worth smashing their guard.

To the guy asking 50/50, most characters don't actually have good overhead options, let alone strong 50/50s. That's a very niche thing, and will probably be a selling point on some characters. Fastest I saw was scorp 's classic sitting at I think 24 frames.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
To give number estimates:

Short string (safest option, lights and mediums) - about 4-6%.

Long string (still safe, lights and mediums) - 5-6%

Raiden pew pew short - 7%

Short strong (unsafe sometimes, some heavies) - 7%

Cut short - 7-8%

Long strong - 7-8%

Raider long - 9-11%

Cut long - 9-12%

Cut (stacked) long - 15-19%.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm not familiar with Blazblue's throw teching. Elaborate, please?
Uh... The window is generous if you're looking for it, but like its a matter of animations. They're all the same speed area, but it's different between raiden scooping you and torr dropping the hammer.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
what do you mean by throws will hit arrival opponents?

and yeah i know you can combo after MB throws, but i imagine they will scale a lot, like dizzy from sf, or maybe not because you're using a meter. and since you can use throws on airborne opponents, that opens up combo potential. kind of makes up for B3 being gone.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@DreadKnight1 What do you mean by "they now hit arrival opponents" Arrival opponents? You mean in mid air people can be thrown via an AA well time throw?

The MB we knew, leaves the opponent standing and I think last brazil report someone said you could juggle someone into a throw(as an ender being more probable or catching them in mid air juggles)

Was this what you're referring to by arrival opponents?

I planned on maining Raiden and Scorp anyway, so that's great to hear Scorp has easy combos in Ninjitsu and Raiden having solid 50/50 mix ups close, thank goodness. He only had like one in a string in MK 9 2,2 B+4 that I'd try mixing up on jip starters with his B3, 1, 2 and really wasn't much to play with there. I like how from the vids I can tell he has a low into launcher combo among others so that's awesome.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
what do you mean by throws will hit arrival opponents?

and yeah i know you can combo after MB throws, but i imagine they will scale a lot, like dizzy from sf, or maybe not because you're using a meter. and since you can use throws on airborne opponents, that opens up combo potential. kind of makes up for B3 being gone.

Scales a bit more than d.2 does in injustice. So that's a frame of reference.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
yeah makes sense. this is all good to know but it will probably change once they get to the balancing phase.
Honestly juggling out of it isn't as good as it seems. Most characters probably won't use it because spending meter on other things will reap better damage and advantages. Cut is mainly to give set-up characters a leg up.

Ball trap raiden is filthy with it. MB grab, toss a ball behind them, and use the advantage to do a string or mix-up. Gives you 50% of your trap and honestly, there was one guy who did a ball and comboed into another ball placement, trapped them in the corner.

The build I tried, the advantage was enough to cut and have like +3 on torr 's fast string, so I wanna say maybe +15? But they might've reduced it.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
Honestly juggling out of it isn't as good as it seems. Most characters probably won't use it because spending meter on other things will reap better damage and advantages. Cut is mainly to give set-up characters a leg up.

Ball trap raiden is filthy with it. MB grab, toss a ball behind them, and use the advantage to do a string or mix-up. Gives you 50% of your trap and honestly, there was one guy who did a ball and comboed into another ball placement, trapped them in the corner.

The build I tried, the advantage was enough to cut and have like +3 on torr 's fast string, so I wanna say maybe +15? But they might've reduced it.
i was thinking it will be enough to get in that last bit of damage if your opponent's health is low but the combo you're doing won't be enough to kill them. will be interesting to see if it will give any characters a vortex. is the advantage enough to get a jip?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
i was thinking it will be enough to get in that last bit of damage if your opponent's health is low but the combo you're doing won't be enough to kill them. will be interesting to see if it will give any characters a vortex. is the advantage enough to get a jip?
It's fast enough to out speed 90% of AA options if that's what you're wondering. However, no it doesn't directly combo into it. Also most MB grabs put them at jab distance so barring some characters and potential new ones, it's not a jump you can usually make over the opponent

Sami

Noob
Is throw breaking still a guess or is it Injustice-style?
For people not quite understanding this: MK9 required you to guess the direction of the throw when breaking while Injustice just required you to react to the throw.

Do MKX throw breaks work like MK9 (react + read/guess direction) or Injustice (just react)?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
For people not quite understanding this: MK9 required you to guess the direction of the throw when breaking while Injustice just required you to react to the throw.

Do MKX throw breaks work like MK9 (react + read/guess direction) or Injustice (just react)?
I only pressed grab, personally. Unless everyone did forward throw, it's looking like just react. Mind you, you can't MB back throw from what I saw

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Hey man, not to spam you but I've been asking this in pretty much every thread about the game and still have no answer: How's the chip damage on normals?
My apologies, sorry but with the amount of moves I had to cover I kind of forgot to check the damage I was doing when they blocked and didn't block much myself. Either way I don't know his strings so it would be hard to notice exactly how much chip is be doing.my guess is that it's somewhere in the middle between mk9 and igau but that's just a guess.

Last edited: