What's new

Mortal Kombat X debut trailer in Top 3 for YouTube Q2 viewership w/ Call of Duty and more

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Does this mean Mortal Kombat X will trample Mortal Kombat (2011), NetherRealm Studios' current most successful game? All signs so far point to "Yes". NetherRealm Studios, who are based out of Chicago, Illinois are set to release Mortal Kombat X in 2015. The game will run on a heavily-modified version of Unreal Engine 3 and will have the unique feature of three playable variations to each character.

Below is a summary of just how crazy things are becoming...

scorp10banner.png

"The top 10 most-viewed trailers on YouTube for content uploaded between April 1 and June 30, 2014, accounted for a total of 98 million views and 160 million minutes watched. Average view duration for the trailers was 1 minute and 43 seconds (74% of the video length).

According to YouTube, media and entertainment companies are using the vidsite to engage audiences for longer periods of time, with all videos in the top 10 longer than 90 seconds.

Here are the top 10 trailers for the second quarter, by views:

1. “Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare” Reveal Trailer: 20.9 million

2. “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” 20th Century Fox: 18.0 million

3. “Mortal Kombat X” Announce Trailer: 11.0 million

4. “Orange Is The New Black” Season 2 Official Trailer: 8.5 million

5. “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” 20th Century Fox: 8.4 million

6. “Gotham,” Fox Broadcasting: 8.0 million

7. “Disney’s Cinderella” Official Teaser Trailer: 7.5 million

8. “The Interview” Official Teaser Trailer: 6.0 million

9. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” Trailer No. 2: 5.7 million

10. “Hercules” Trailer No. 2: 4.2 million"

Source: Variety.com via TheKombatTether

Attachments

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
If a huge number of people enter the FGC because of MkX we might be looking at the same player-boom in fighting gamers that SF4's release had in 2009.

09'ers aren't noobs anymore, make room for the 15'ers.
Which means the noobies will be plenty and ripe for poaching!

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Hadn't thought of this.

Good point. Definitely something I'll keep my eye on.
Yea, Mk9 was so big that it created its own scene on its release, the "NRS scene". This scene seriously started from practically nothing.

Now that there is already a scene though, MkX is looking even more popular than Mk9 was this could be a gigantic boom for the NRS scene and FGC in general.

Imagine if there was some daily news in MKX's online mode that advertised some major tournaments in the USA. Just imagine how many people will see it if a million people buy the game.

Sounds too delicious. Its all in NRS's hands at this point. Lets hope the game is good, the online is crisp, and the hype for the game runs on until release.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Honestly if NRS plays this right it could impact the entire FGC. if we have the numbers the shift in hate for NRS scene will be too real. imagine a world where MKX has 10 times more entrants that USFIV next year at these majors. guys like PIG, sonic, CDjr, 16 bit are now just as popular, if not more than Jwong or diago. MLG picks up MKX and treats us like royalty, WB back pot bonuses in the 5-6 digits. Real sponsors for players and even weeklies are like mini regionals every week. every content creator has a huge following now. guys like sajam, mayo, myself, etc have followings the size of max's youtube or near it. streamers have thousands of followers and subs. MAX CPM more than Arturo with guys like brady and pig streaming etc. if only, it would make me so hap..........

T33-Kahn

Waifu, Peacock, Cutie Patootie,...
lbsh guys there's no way mkx can be 10 x times bigger than capcom games if only america has strong mk scene. how many people in europe, japan, korea, SEA,... play nrs games? and nrs doesn't support overseas players, so...

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
lbsh guys there's no way mkx can be 10 x times bigger than capcom games if only america has strong mk scene. how many people in europe, japan, korea, SEA,... play nrs games? and nrs doesn't support overseas players, so...
Remember that Marvel vs Capcom 3 is primarily an American game, but because of the insanely huge scene in the USA it has spread large popularity to other countries.

And lets face it, UMvC3 gas 0 support anywhere in the world.

T33-Kahn

Waifu, Peacock, Cutie Patootie,...
Remember that Marvel vs Capcom 3 is primarily an American game, but because of the insanely huge scene in the USA it has spread large popularity to other countries.

And lets face it, UMvC3 gas 0 support anywhere in the world.
i thought people from europe play mvc too? :-/
but nah, fuck it, i wish mkx will kill umvc3 when it comes out lol. no way it can beat usf4 tho :(.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I just look at it this way, it just goes to show that MK overall in general is more interesting to people than SF, MVC etc because of the badass characters, storyline, realism of it etc and the general outside media with MKL, the movies etc.

Other fighting games don't have that, or if they do it's often shitty(I mean SF, Tekken movies anyone? nuff said lol)

I think MK X will be bigger than MK 9 which was big in it's own right and put MK back on the map. So excited.

As soon as it broke 5 million in under a week I said this has to be a record of some kind for an MK trailer let alone video game trailer. The fact that it's second to COD which pumps out games every year for every console, has way more people playing it then any fighting game tells you how big MK is if it's second in the video game trailer world...

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Honestly if NRS plays this right it could impact the entire FGC. if we have the numbers the shift in hate for NRS scene will be too real. imagine a world where MKX has 10 times more entrants that USFIV next year at these majors. guys like PIG, sonic, CDjr, 16 bit are now just as popular, if not more than Jwong or diago. MLG picks up MKX and treats us like royalty, WB back pot bonuses in the 5-6 digits. Real sponsors for players and even weeklies are like mini regionals every week. every content creator has a huge following now. guys like sajam, mayo, myself, etc have followings the size of max's youtube or near it. streamers have thousands of followers and subs. MAX CPM more than Arturo with guys like brady and pig streaming etc. if only, it would make me so hap..........
Really? I know ppl that don't play fgs, but know who Jwong is lol. I'm not so sure if NRS players are on that level yet.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Number 3 on the list... nice. Damn I want to play this game already. FUCK!

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Yea, Mk9 was so big that it created its own scene on its release, the "NRS scene". This scene seriously started from practically nothing.

Now that there is already a scene though, MkX is looking even more popular than Mk9 was this could be a gigantic boom for the NRS scene and FGC in general.

Imagine if there was some daily news in MKX's online mode that advertised some major tournaments in the USA. Just imagine how many people will see it if a million people buy the game.

Sounds too delicious. Its all in NRS's hands at this point. Lets hope the game is good, the online is crisp, and the hype for the game runs on until release.
MK players were here for a long time before we MK9ers joined the scene.

And we were not the "NRS scene", we were the MK scene until Injustice came. Calling ourselves NRS before Injustice doesn't even make sense because NRS only made MK9. Past MKs, though still lead by Ed Boon, were products of Midway.

Last edited:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
MK players were here for a long time before we MK9ers joined the scene.

And we were not the "NRS scene", we were the MK scene until Injustice came. Calling ourselves NRS before Injustice doesn't even make sense because NRS only made MK9. Past MKs, though still lead by Ed Boon, were products of Midway.
I meant the FGC NRS scene dude.. The competitive side of MK games. Of course people were just overall fans of MK before Mk9, that goes without saying.

Before Mk9 the "competitive scene" was like 20 serious people nation wide in the US. Not even enough to warrant a tournament for MK games.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I meant the FGC NRS scene dude.. The competitive side of MK games. Of course people were just overall fans of MK before Mk9, that goes without saying.

Before Mk9 the "competitive scene" was like 20 serious people nation wide in the US. Not even enough to warrant a tournament for MK games.
MKDC had tournaments