What's new

Mortal Kombat X - Before & After Graphic Comparisons!!

Gamer68

Fujin!
Since we are about only 20 days away from Mortal Kombat X's release, I thought it would be cool to take a look at some of the first gameplay we saw of the game... And so I did. But while looking at early gameplay, I couldn't help but notice a lot of graphical differences between the early and later builds of the game. It's nothing new to see games go through graphical updates before release, but it's still interesting to see what changed in the final release (or in this case; builds close the the final release).

So! I decided to do a few graphical comparison pictures! Again, just a few... But I may do more later on, and post them in the comments. Also, feel free to make and post your own comparison pictures in the comments! It would be nice to get a bunch of these.

This is a comparison of Scorpion on the character selection screen. The "Before" image is from E3 2014 gameplay, while the "After" image is from one of the later Kombat Kasts (I believe it's the 4th one, but I could be mistaken. I just forgot. Sorry!). Now for the differences between the two:

We can see that Scorpion's head got an update. His mask is shiny, and his eyes look better. The lighting also seems to look better; but you should ignore the bright white light on Scorpion on the "After" picture. It's just Raiden... But still, when I was taking the images I could see lighting improvements. Anyway, we can also see some better textures on certain parts. Some parts of Scorpion used to look like rubber or plastic, but most of that seems to be fixed. His skin texture is better, and a lot of the leather stuff looks better as well. The cloth also looks better.

I would also like to point out that the background on the character selection screen also got an update. If you look at the "Before" image, you can see that the background was much more simple, used a lighter grey, and blended badly with the ground. There was also less fog. In the "After" image though, we can see that the background looks much better, uses a darker grey, and blends better with the ground. There is also more fog. So everything seems to have been fixed.

(Note: I would like to apologize for the huge image. It's way bigger than I wanted it to be. You might just want to open the image in another tab, then cycle between the thread and the image. Again, sorry).
This is a comparison of the Kove stage. The "Before" image is taken from E3 2014 gameplay, while the "After" image is taken from the Reptile trailer. Here are the comparisons between the two images:

First off, I would like to say that NetherRealm Studios did a great job with the stages in the early builds. When I was trying to do comparisons for stages, I couldn't see to many differences; especially for the Dead Woods stage. However, I could still notice a couple things they fixed/updated on the Kove stage. First up, the wood posts on the left and right sides of the bridge. You can tell they got a big texture update, as they look more like wood, and not like... well, I don't what to call them. Anyway, you can also see some skulls hanging off one of the posts on the right. They look way better now, almost like it's a completely different model. They look way more realistic, and of course, seems to be textured better. There's also some sharp, spiky rocks below the boat and beside the bridge in the back. They seemed to have been re-modeled, and they shine more. Overall, they look better and is more noticeable.

Also, like I pointed out with Scorpion on the character selection screen; the lighting looks better. You may not be able to tell right off the bat, but look at the shadows on both of the images. The shadows on the "Before" image is lighter, while the shadows on the "After" image are darker. They also seemed to have improved the textures on a few other things as well...

This is a comparison of Cassie Cage. The "Before" image is taken from E3 2014 gameplay, while the "After" image is taken from Kombat Kast 4 (Brutalities stream). Here are the differences:

Must I even say anything? I mean, seriously... this is the best example of graphical updates for MKX that I can give. She looks completely different! Her face has been re-modeled, so has her hair, and even her ears! Her neck size has been reduced (lol), and her suit color is less blue; instead it looks more black/grey with a touch of pale blue. The star emblem on her shoulder has been removed, and replaced with the Special Forces emblem. The metal on her shoulder is also more reflective. Her eyes looks way better; more like real eyes, not plastic balls. The texture of her skin and hair has been greatly improved. There are also various other improvements as well.

Real quick, I would like to point out why she doesn't have a Mic on her "After" image, like she does on her "Before" image (for anyone who doesn't know). The reason why she has a Mic on the "Before" image is because she is using the Spec Ops variation, and that is a cosmetic change for that variation. On the "After" image, she is using her Brawler variation. Just wanted to point that out, for anyone who isn't aware...

Anyway, back to the comparison; yeah, she looks WAY better. It's crazy how much she has changed. It's almost like shes a completely different character.

That's all the comparison pictures I have. Like I said above, it was only a few. However, feel free to post your own pictures below. There was more things I noticed, but didn't make pictures for. I noticed that Sub-Zero looked really sad for some reason, in early builds. I also noticed that D'Vorah's hood got a texture enhancement. Last but not least: I noticed that some of the character select icons have changed, which I believe were Cassie's, Sub-Zero's, and D'Vorah's.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Since we are about only 20 days away from Mortal Kombat X's release, I thought it would be cool to take a look at some of the first gameplay we saw of the game... And so I did. But while looking at early gameplay, I couldn't help but notice a lot of graphical differences between the early and later builds of the game. It's nothing new to see games go through graphical updates before release, but it's still interesting to see what changed in the final release (or in this case; builds close the the final release).

So! I decided to do a few graphical comparison pictures! Again, just a few... But I may do more later on, and post them in the comments. Also, feel free to make and post your own comparison pictures in the comments! It would be nice to get a bunch of these.

This is a comparison of Scorpion on the character selection screen. The "Before" image is from E3 2014 gameplay, while the "After" image is from one of the later Kombat Kasts (I believe it's the 4th one, but I could be mistaken. I just forgot. Sorry!). Now for the differences between the two:

We can see that Scorpion's head got an update. His mask is shiny, and his eyes look better. The lighting also seems to look better; but you should ignore the bright white light on Scorpion on the "After" picture. It's just Raiden... But still, when I was taking the images I could see lighting improvements. Anyway, we can also see some better textures on certain parts. Some parts of Scorpion used to look like rubber or plastic, but most of that seems to be fixed. His skin texture is better, and a lot of the leather stuff looks better as well. The cloth also looks better.

I would also like to point out that the background on the character selection screen also got an update. If you look at the "Before" image, you can see that the background was much more simple, used a lighter grey, and blended badly with the ground. There was also less fog. In the "After" image though, we can see that the background looks much better, uses a darker grey, and blends better with the ground. There is also more fog. So everything seems to have been fixed.

(Note: I would like to apologize for the huge image. It's way bigger than I wanted it to be. You might just want to open the image in another tab, then cycle between the thread and the image. Again, sorry).
This is a comparison of the Kove stage. The "Before" image is taken from E3 2014 gameplay, while the "After" image is taken from the Reptile trailer. Here are the comparisons between the two images:

First off, I would like to say that NetherRealm Studios did a great job with the stages in the early builds. When I was trying to do comparisons for stages, I couldn't see to many differences; especially for the Dead Woods stage. However, I could still notice a couple things they fixed/updated on the Kove stage. First up, the wood posts on the left and right sides of the bridge. You can tell they got a big texture update, as they look more like wood, and not like... well, I don't what to call them. Anyway, you can also see some skulls hanging off one of the posts on the right. They look way better now, almost like it's a completely different model. They look way more realistic, and of course, seems to be textured better. There's also some sharp, spiky rocks below the boat and beside the bridge in the back. They seemed to have been re-modeled, and they shine more. Overall, they look better and is more noticeable.

Also, like I pointed out with Scorpion on the character selection screen; the lighting looks better. You may not be able to tell right off the bat, but look at the shadows on both of the images. The shadows on the "Before" image is lighter, while the shadows on the "After" image are darker. They also seemed to have improved the textures on a few other things as well...

This is a comparison of Cassie Cage. The "Before" image is taken from E3 2014 gameplay, while the "After" image is taken from Kombat Kast 4 (Brutalities stream). Here are the differences:

Must I even say anything? I mean, seriously... this is the best example of graphical updates for MKX that I can give. She looks completely different! Her face has been re-modeled, so has her hair, and even her ears! Her neck size has been reduced (lol), and her suit color is less blue; instead it looks more black/grey with a touch of pale blue. The star emblem on her shoulder has been removed, and replaced with the Special Forces emblem. The metal on her shoulder is also more reflective. Her eyes looks way better; more like real eyes, not plastic balls. The texture of her skin and hair has been greatly improved. There are also various other improvements as well.

Real quick, I would like to point out why she doesn't have a Mic on her "After" image, like she does on her "Before" image (for anyone who doesn't know). The reason why she has a Mic on the "Before" image is because she is using the Spec Ops variation, and that is a cosmetic change for that variation. On the "After" image, she is using her Brawler variation. Just wanted to point that out, for anyone who isn't aware...

Anyway, back to the comparison; yeah, she looks WAY better. It's crazy how much she has changed. It's almost like shes a completely different character.

That's all the comparison pictures I have. Like I said above, it was only a few. However, feel free to post your own pictures below. There was more things I noticed, but didn't make pictures for. I noticed that Sub-Zero looked really sad for some reason, in early builds. I also noticed that D'Vorah's hood got a texture enhancement. Last but not least: I noticed that some of the character select icons have changed, which I believe were Cassie's, Sub-Zero's, and D'Vorah's.
Great post and it has gotten better but....----v--- below...
I thought her neck looked longer in the after....i cant unsee it i cant
^ my eyes still see that neck lol. seriously I see the improvement and props for this thread @Gamer68

Gamer68

Fujin!
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the thread! Also, about Cassie's neck: It may look the same in both images, but when I was watching them actually fighting, my god, it was huge!! Lol.

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the thread! Also, about Cassie's neck: It may look the same in both images, but when I was watching them actually fighting, my god, it was huge!! Lol.
yeah i see where they cut it from if you look at the leather choker the space from that is the initial cut

edit: its so high up on the first one...so...high....up

Gamer68

Fujin!
I just wanted to say thanks again for all the positive comments! I'm glad you guys like the thread! I would like to say something about the graphics in MKX, though:

I don't think the graphics are perfect, I mean, we've obviously seen better looking games. But I do think they are really great, and easily the best graphics of any NetherRealm game, and most fighting games as well! It's nice seeing the graphics improving the way they have, too...

But it isn't just about the textures and models, it's also about the little details as well. And NetherRealm has done a great job including that stuff, too. Characters will get wet when water splashes on them, or dirt will start getting on them when they fall. Same goes with mud, or snow. Heck, on the Dead Woods stage, snow will fall and stick on to the characters and slowly melt...

With the great graphics, little details, stage interactables, different intros based on match-ups, better cutscenes, and more, the overall graphics and presentation of the game is going to be outstanding!

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
Most of characters are like that (blocky/clay hair :/). For example look at Cage lol.

Anyway, still some nice improvements in some areas.
Also not to mention kenshi and JC have the exact same hair just differnt colors idk why but it really bothered me when I noticed it's just plain lazy.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I love this thread. I'll be the first to admit that when I initially saw the game at the E3 reveal I wasn't very excited, to say the least. I thought the game looked incredibly bland and the animations were in dire need of being smoothed out.

But now? It's been amazing to watch as the game grew, and in every new vid it's looked better and better. Animations are smooth and fluid, there's more depth and pop to the colors, and the character designs (Cassie, Kitana, etc.) have improved dramatically.

NRS has done a phenomenal job. :)

I would have never thought I would say that Mileena is the best looking female character in an MK. And that's not a shot at any of the other ladies seeing how good Kitana, Sonya, Cassie, Jacqui, and even D'Vorah look. It shows how far NRS has come.

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
I love this thread. I'll be the first to admit that when I initially saw the game at the E3 reveal I wasn't very excited, to say the least. I thought the game looked incredibly bland and the animations were in dire need of being smoothed out.

But now? It's been amazing to watch as the game grew, and in every new vid it's looked better and better. Animations are smooth and fluid, there's more depth and pop to the colors, and the character designs (Cassie, Kitana, etc.) have improved dramatically.

NRS has done a phenomenal job. :)
My exact feels.... Hold me.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Differences between the two:

His skin texture has been improved, and so has the blood effect. Some of his armor textures looks less blurry and flat now. The feathers on the back of his helmet used to be black/grey only, but now they are yellow/orange/red.