What's new

Mortal Kombat coming to PlayStation Vita in Spring 2012 - Confirmed

Tim Static

Adminerator
Mortal Kombat is indeed coming to the new Sony handheld, the PSVITA and its coming this spring. Just officially announced by Warner Brothers UK Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/WB_Games_UK/status/159274114446671872 - See the official announcement from WB & NRS below:

MORTAL KOMBAT COMING TO PLAYSTATION®VITA SYSTEM
Legendary Fighting Series Delivers Award-Winning Action to PS Vita system in 2012

Burbank, Calif. – January 17, 2012 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Mortal Kombat will ship for PlayStation®Vita system in Spring 2012. Developed by NetherRealm Studios, the game delivers an experience designed specifically for on-the-go gaming with brand new gameplay features and content developed exclusively for the new handheld device.

“The NetherRealm team is committed to making sure that we follow up the success of 2011’s Mortal Kombat with an equally compelling experience on the PlayStation Vita,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “The original game content and new features we developed for the PlayStation Vita will provide gamers with the best fighting game experience available on the new mobile platform.”

Selling more than three million units worldwide in 2011, Mortal Kombat became the highest-selling fighting game of the year and has won numerous “Best Fighting Game of 2011” awards including Spike TV’s 2011 Video Game Awards, Official Xbox Magazine and GameTrailers.com.

In a triumphant return to the game’s original mature presentation, Mortal Kombat offers over-the-top fatalities and cringe-worthy X-ray moves. This latest iteration in the franchise brings the game back to a 2D fighting plane and introduces a number of new gameplay features including Tag Team, Challenge Tower and a deep story mode. Several new features have been developed exclusively for Mortal Kombat for PS Vita system, which will be revealed in the coming months.

Play Mortal Kombat for PS Vita system by visiting the Vita Hill Social Clubs. More information can be found at http://us.playstation.com/psn/events/vitahillsocialclub.html.

For more information about Mortal Kombat, please visit www.themortalkombat.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mortalkombat or on Twitter @MK_Mortalkombat

About Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, is a premier worldwide publisher, developer, licensor and distributor of entertainment content for the interactive space across all current and future platforms, including console, handheld and PC-based gaming for both internal and third party game titles.

Mortal Kombat™ software © 2011 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Developed by NetherRealm Studios. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.

Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo, NetherRealm Studios, NetherRealm logo and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
WB GAMES LOGO, WB SHIELD: ™ & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
(s11)

Attachments

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
"Developed by NetherRealm Studios, the game delivers an experience designed specifically for on-the-go gaming with brand new gameplay features and content developed exclusively for the new handheld device."

I bet NRS end up releasing the exclusive content as DLC for console MK9 anyway just because of how badly it will sell on the vita. For those who dont know the vita has been a complete flop thus far.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Will be interesting to see if there is any improvements to the engine, like fixing the input drop bug, or better/2D hit boxes.

I hate handheld gaming so I wont be buying this, but I do hope it turns out awesome and not another mortal kombat advance.

Cool. I'm not into handheld gaming, but at least the world is getting more MK. I doubt the Vita will be much of a success, but I have to imagine this will be one of its top selling games. Hopefully some of its content will eventually translate to console MK.

Well, at least we know it'll sell well. The first few games on handelds always do real well because people are just looking for something, anything, to play on them.

Noob
To be honest, all I really want from this is the online play. This will never be the standard for tournaments, so for me at least it's something to do, goof around with, get some meaningless casuals with online with some players while I work.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Can't wait to hear what the new features are. Probably still gonna stick
with my 3DS depending unless the Vita does well in the US.

Noob
My guess is that the new features are all touch screen based... Maybe the return of Motor Kombat or Chess Kombat...

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Can you hook up a stick/pad to the vita? I'm presuming you can. Could be nice when traveling to get some casual online games in.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Not buying it ..... not a fan of handheld platform. Would prefer seeing a PC version instead.

And developing new features exclusive to Vita = fail. The PS3/360 environment it's where the thing goes.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
It would be great for the Vita to have a USB port to take sticks, right?
Honestly, if it had that feature, I'd contemplate buying it. I can already get a portable emulator out of my laptop with better battery life; which is what I'd use the Vita for primarily anyways.

Briyen

Noob
Same here (well it was like that already)

Improve practice mode and this will be gold.
yes yes, i'm already blinded into buying a vita now but seriously if the patches and frame data and such were teh same as teh konsole version, then we could try new tech on teh go and practice for tourneys on teh rode, better than riding to big events looking at teh sky and dreamin of victory!! praktice for the kill!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
My guess is that the new features are all touch screen based... Maybe the return of Motor Kombat or Chess Kombat...
I don't think it'd be any of this... it says "new" not returning.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RiverHB

Noob
I can see myself getting this. I need something to do besides surf TYM while at work. :) It would be good while on trips, too.

pulsiondemuerte

The Horror
Is this the infamous third surprise trolled by Ed Boon?. I hope not.
BTW, in relation with new features, I'm with 9.95, PLEASE BUILD A GOOD ONLINE SYSTEM -like Gears of War 3- C'mon, now they have tons of money and restored confidence (by far) in the franchise (with a superb game), expend some dollars for a global fighting community.

aj1701

Noob
"Developed by NetherRealm Studios, the game delivers an experience designed specifically for on-the-go gaming with brand new gameplay features and content developed exclusively for the new handheld device."

I bet NRS end up releasing the exclusive content as DLC for console MK9 anyway just because of how badly it will sell on the vita. For those who dont know the vita has been a complete flop thus far.
Huh? Its not even out yet in North America.