What's new

Montreal Mayhem #10: The Foonies! End of Season 1! KRYS wins IGAU and MK!

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
Montreal Mayhem #10

What can I saw... Montreal Mayhem #10 was a bigger success then I could have ever hoped. The sheer fact we've been able to organize something like this for as long as we have is amazing. Add in the fact we got 18 different people to show up still astonishes me. Also actually having a stream this week was great even if it still isn't perfect.

We once again ran both games at the same time. The 12 man Injustice tournament and the 11 man Mortal Kombat one. Sadly, Injustice got all the stream love as MK was only able to get Loser's Finals and Grand Finals on there.

Since @IFEELYOURHATRED and @Fire Warrior showed up last week, this week they brought more of their crew with them in the form of @Brawling beast , @Wind Masta and @NetherRealmSnake . You guys are the real reason why MK has been so hype the last two weeks and I really hope you guys can find the time to keep coming out. Like I said, I see great promise in all of you, with dedication, proper tutelage and a few beers, you guys will be top notch competitors.

Speaking of new guys, on the Injustice front we had a VERY special guest in the form of @Ram who is actually from Ottawa but, made his way all the way to Montreal just to attend this event. I'm really glad that this turned out as great as it did since I would have been really disappointed if we had a lack luster even when Ram put in so much effort to make it out.

Additionally @C-Sword made it out and with the help of @T.roll was able to set up a stream with commentary which was best used by PestoSwami (@Darkbloom 's roommate).

@Icepick returned as well however this time he ACTUALLY entered Injustice. We also had returns in the form of @xQUANTUMx who beat out the flu and @Ecodus who finally got through his break.

I could go on and on about how proud I am of out little scene but, I know people aren't here to read about that, they're here to find out what happened during the RanBats.

Injustice
The opening round of the Injustice tournament started with a Montreal Mayhem #9 Grand Finals run back between @KRYS9984 and @Chuckychuck , this time however Chuck traded in his sword and guns for the bill himself Nightwing. Sadly controller problems plagued most of this match and despite a really good showing, Mr. Grayson was unable to seal the deal as KRYS walked away with a 3 - 2 win. The other on stream match was PestoSwami versus Quantum. This match was not as close, as Pesto's DoomKitty combination wa unable to get much going against the Man of Steel. The #KryptonianLaserShow was in full effect cruising to a 3 - 0 victory.

Off stream we had the man from Ottawa, Ram taking on @CanadianBaconX. The first match Ram took fairly convincingly with his Cyborg's zoning keeping Bacon's Amazon. However, per usual Bacon adapted to the match up and out damaged the Teen Titan taking 2 straight to take a commanding lead in the set. In an attempt to bring things around Cyborg called for back up, as Ram switched to Nightwing. The match was close but, Bacon clearly more comfortable in this match up was able to take the third match, ruining Ram's debut, taking the set 3 - 1. The final match of the set was Ecodus versus Icepick, which went down as expected. Icepick's lack of actually playing the game showed while Ecodus looked like he hadn't missed beat being away for a few weeks taking the set with a clean 3 - 0.

Chuckychuck (Nightwing) vs KRYS (Batman)

PestoSwami (Catwoman, Doomsday) vs Quantum (Superman)

Another four matches in the next part of winners. The comeback kids continued their dominace with @Mortal Komhat jobbing 3 - 0 to Ecodus while in the only non-streamed match Quantum ran through @hard_goodbye with a 3 - 1.

KRYS 3 - 0'd T.roll as both his Harley and his Martian were unable to adjust to Batman's bag of bat tricks. Then there was Bacon vs Dark Bloom which was another run back from MM9, which in a really close set Bacon narrowly won 3 - 2, this week however, Bacon looked much more comfortable dealing with the juiced up Wrestler winning 3 - 0.

Darkbloom (Bane) vs Bacon (Wonder Woman)

Hatman (Shazam) vs Ecodus (Catwoman)

T.Roll (Harly Quinn, Martian Manhunter) vs KRYS (Batman)

Leading up to Winner's Finals we had the classic Batman vs Superman match up with KRYS and Quantum facing off. Unfortunately KRYS controlled most of the set giving Quantum very little room to breath allowing him to take the set 3 - 0. On the flip side there was Ecodus facing off against Bacon. Ecodus looked to keep showing that he hadn't lost a step taking it to Bacon and taking an early 2 - 0 lead. However, Bacon answered back winning 2 straight games to tie it up forcing a 5th and final one. This is where Bacon started to slip however after dropping an early combo and guessing wrong three too many times, Ecodus was able to put a stop to the come back and move onto winner's finals.

Quantum (Superman) vs KRYS (Batman)

Bacon (Wonder Woman) vs Ecodus (Catwoman)

Winner's finals was between KRYS and Ecodus, a scene we had seen many times before when both men would show up to the same weekly. Ecodus had never been able to find KRYS' number as he was always one step ahead of him. However, Ecodus started of on fire, taking the first two games, looking like he was going to break the Batman curse. Unfortunately for him KRYS was quick to compose himself and run it all the way back, heading into grand finals with a 3 - 2 win.

Ecodus (Catwoman) vs KRYS (Batman) Winner's Finals

Loser's bracket started off with some rather interesting developments. Hard_Goodbye taking Icepick out 3 - 0 wasn't much of a surprise since Hard_Goodbye plays every week but, shout-outs to Icepick for actually getting in there this week. Ram took his first win eliminating T.Roll from the tournament, 3 - 0 with some great Nightwing play. Speaking of Nightwing play, Chuckychuck showed some of his own 3 - 1ing DarkBloom taking him out of the tournament as well.

The finally there was PestoSwami vs Hatman... This match... Hatman had not won a tournament match against someone who ACTUALLY plays Injustice... Until this week. He managed to weather the storm against Pesto, finally getting that 'legit' win with Shazam, 3 - 1. It was like it was 1995 all over again, with Barry Horowitz getting that win over Bodydonna Skip. Okay it wasn't really like that but, still good shit for improvement!

Icepick (Green Lantern, Sinestro) vs Hard_Goodbye (Catwoman)

T.Roll (Martian Manhunter) vs Ram (Nightwing)

In the next round dreams were crushed as Chuck put an end to Hatman's victory high with a 3 - 0 and Hard_Goodbye stopped our special guest Ram with a 3 - 1.

Moving further along the bracket I believe Quantum had to leave early allowing for Chuck to advange without any problems. Bacon on the other hard at this time, had just came off losing to Ecodus' Catwoman and he had to face another one in Hard_Goodbye. The repeat of pretty much every week. These two go back and forth often but, this week Hard_Goodbye just had Bacon's number. Perhaps he was still drained from the heart breaker against Ecodus but, Bacon couldn't really get much going as he fell 3 - 0 to Hard_Goodbye.

Bacon (Wonder Woman) vs Hard_Goodbye (Catwoman)

This left Hard_Goodbye and Chuckychuck in a battle for a spot Loser's Finals. Despite what the commentator PestoSwami thought this match was a clear 3 - 0 for Chuck showing just how well he understands Hard_Goodbye's Catwoman.

Hard_Goodbye (Catwoman) vs Chuckychuck (Nightwing)

Loser's finals saw Chuck and Ecodus face off in another Nightwing vs Catwoman match. This time however Ecodus was able to control the match. It was clear that Chuck was less familiar with Ecodus' style of plan than Hard_Goodbye's as he was only able to take one match allowing for Ecodus to go into Grand Finals with a 3 - 1.

Ecodus (Catwoman) vs Chuckychuck (Nightwing) Loser's Finals

Grand Finals was a rematch of Winner's Finals. It was Batman vs Catwoman. KRYS vs Ecodus. Ecodus not only needed to break the Batman curse to beat KRYS once, he would have to do it twice to reset the bracket. This time around Ecodus didn't get such a good start falling 0 - 2 early in the set. With KRYS on tournament match, Ecodus tried his best to mount a comeback but, it wasn't enough as KRYS sealed the deal with a 3 - 0. Taking the tournament and the season.

Ecodus (Catwoman) [L] vs KRYS (Batman) [W] Grand Finals

1) KRYS (Batman) [12 Points]
2) Ecodus (Catwoman) [9 Points]
3) ChuckyChuck (Nightwing) [6 Points]
4) Hard_Goodbye (Catwoman) [3 Point]
5) Quantum (Superman) [1 Point]
5) Bacon (Wonder Woman) [1 Point]
7) Hatman (Shazam)
7) Ram (Cyborg, Nightwing)
9) T.roll (Harley Quinn, Martian Manhunter)
9) DarkBloom (Bane)
9) PestoSwami (Catwoman, Doomsday)
9) Icepick (Green Lantern, Sinestro)

http://challonge.com/mm10igau

Mortal Kombat
The first round of Mortal Kombat started with Bacon beat T.Roll 2 - 1 sending T.Roll into losers early. Fire Warrior and Wind Masta faced off against each other in another close 2 - 1 set. Then to end the first round we had Quantum come back to MK beating the new Reptile NetherRealmSnake 2 - 0.

Speaking of Reptile, Chuckychuck returned to the lizard to face off against Bacon's Sindel. The set wasn't very pretty for Bacon as Chuck was able to actually call his X-Ray in one of the rounds taking it easy 2 - 0. KRYS and C-Sword squared off in an interesting match but, the reigning MK point leader showed why he got so many of them putting C-Sword into losers with another 2 - 0. Fire Warrior had to play against one of his crew members this time it was IFEELYOURHATRED, and this time it didn't fair too well for him as he dropped the set 2 - 1. In the final match of this round Brawling Beast made an unsuccessful debut against Quantum's Sub-Zero losing 2 - 0.

Continuing along in Winners Chuckychuck faced off against KRYS in what could be the Grand Finals any week for Montreal Mayhem. This time KRYS squeezed out the win with a close 2 - 1. On the other side of the bracket, IFEELYOURHATRED did well against Quantum's Sub-Zero making it very close but, Quantum was able to hold out and put HATRED into losers 2 - 1.

Sadly by the time Winner's Finals were to be played, Quantum needed to head out so, KRYS was placed immediately into Grand Finals.

The first round of losers was a mismatch of game experience T.Roll, C-Sword and Bacon all having 3ish years more experience with the game then the collective of Brawling Beast, Wind Masta and NetherRealmSnake, leading for three 2 - 0s. It was unlucky brackets for the new blood and Montreal Mayhem but, it's just how these things go sometimes.

In the next round T.Roll eliminated Fire Warrior 2 - 0 leaving only one NLA member left in the bracket. At the same time Bacon was able to 2 - 0 C-Sword who went Mileena the first match and the Smoke the second in a failed attempt to counter Bacon's Sindel Zoning.

Next T.Roll's run stopped short as he lost 2 - 1 against Chuck in another one of their highly entertaining and super over the top matches. The other match of this round was IFEELYOURHATRED against Bacon which was a clear case example of not knowing the match up well, with Bacon's Sindel going 2 - 0 over HATRED's Cage.

Since at this point Quantam had left, this meant that Loser's Finals became basically a bye. Not wanting to sell the tournament short. Bacon and Chuck agreed to make their set a pseudo Loser's Finals to make up for it. Making the set a first to 3. This would come back to bite Chuck in the tail as he had gone up 2 - 0, infact, he was one round away from beating Bacon when, Bacon just came back. He seemed to have finally gotten the match up down and played it better, running it all the way back to take it 3 - 2.

Bacon (Sindel) vs Chuckychuck (Reptile) Loser's Finals

This set up Grand Finals as KRYS' Ermac against Bacon's Sindel. This was a match that happened many times at previous Montreal Mayhem's and it wasn't much different this time. Bacon played well all night winning 5 matches (6 if you count the Quantum bye) to make it all the way to Grand Finals. However none of it mattered as KRYS Ermac wouldn't give him an inch. He out zoned him, out pressured him and just out played him to once again take the tournament AND the RanBat 3 - 0.

KRYS (Ermac) [W] vs Bacon (Sindel) [L] Grand Finals

1) KRYS (Ermac) [11 Points]
2) Bacon (Sindel) [8 Points]
3) Quantum (Sub-Zero) [5 Points]
4) ChuckyChuck (Reptile) [2 Point]
5) NLA IFEELYOURHATRED (Cage) [1 Point]
5) T.Roll (Cage, Kabal) [1 Point]
7) NLA FireWarrior (Liu Kang)
7) C-Sword (Rain, Sonya, Mileena, Smoke)
9) NLA Brawling beast (Jax)
9) NLA Wind Masta (Kung Lao, Sonya)
9) NLA NetherRealmSnake (Reptile)

http://challonge.com/mm10mk9

Totals
Injustice Totals:
KRYS [54 Points] SEASON 1 CHAMPION
Ecodus [43 Points]
Bacon [24 Points]
Quantum [21 Points]
Chuckychuck [21 Point]
Hard_Goodbye [13 Points]
T.Roll [8 Points]
DarkBloom [7 Points]

Motal Kombat Totals:
KRYS [38 Points] SEASON 1 CHAMPION
Chuckychuck [25 Points]
Bacon [22 Points]
T.Roll [18 Points]
Zaf [8 Points]
Jer [6 Points]
Quantum [5 Points]
NLA IFEELYOURHATRED [2 Point]
C-Sword [1 Point]

Conclusion
So that was a great run guys, this tournament was a blast and I'm really glad this all went so well for as long as it has. In the end... All hail KRYS is seems as he takes both games in IMPRESSIVE fashion. We'll see if he can keep it up into Season 2 or if new warriors will step up to take his place.

I just want to say Thank You! to everyone again. To all that make it out everyone Sunday, to the ones who make it out to one in a while Sundays. Thanks to those who just read/like the write up. Thanks to the few dudes that dropped in to check out our stream. This is really shaping up to be an awesome scene and if it keeps up I'm sure it'll get better for both us and you.

Next week I'm not sure what I want to do, I'm thinking of taking a break week in the sense that there is no REAL tournament and we just have a training session for everyone. We have ALOT of new guys who could use some teaching in a more controlled environment.

See you all in Season 2!

Remember this happens every Sunday at the Foonzo Gaming Bar on 1245 Rue Drummond usually starting around 5:30 to 6 PM. We now have a stream at http://www.twitch.tv/montreal_mayhem so if you have time to check us out on Sunday please do! Additionally, if you're in the Montreal area, might as well drop by and help grow this local NRS community.

@AK RM Blake

Last edited:

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.
Great first season guys.

Congrats to @KRYS9984 for winning season 1. Looking forward to many battles coming up in season 2 and beyond.

Special shout outs to @CanadianBaconX without you our scene would not be where it is now. Thank you so much for running the brackets, doing the write ups and getting everything done. We are really lucky to have you here in MTL.

It was a really fun local MM#10 and seeing all the MK guys out makes me so hype for MKX.

See you guys sunday for some training and fun casuals.

Our scene has grew tremendously from first two members (@CanadianBaconX and @T.roll) holding it together all year long to a fully loaded 18 with a stream over the course of this summer. Thanks to you @CanadianBaconX for the write ups as and TYM for front paging them as it attracted players from neighboring cities and helped unite the clans here in Montreal. It turned out the MK9 Montreal scene was segmented and last week end both scenes united for the first time in full and it was a great success thanks to the press here on TYM. Montreal Mayhem has given rise to a scene here that has great potential. In the words of William Wallace all we have to do is hold it together for MKX where both the Injustice and MK9 player base will merge into one gigantic scene along with the returning vets of MK9 from the 2011 era.

Shout outs to:

@AK RM Blake for the press here on TYM.
@CanadianBaconX and @T.roll for holding it together during the dark times.
@C-Sword and @T.roll for the streaming equipment.
@IFEELYOURHATRED and @Fire Warrior for bringing their scene to Montreal Mayhem.
@PestoSwami for the commentary.
@Ram for doing the distance from Ottawa to MTL for Season 1 finale.
@All the Men of Mayhem for being awesome players and being the hype.

This goes out to all the other underground Injustice and MK9 scenes here in Montreal:

If you hear this then come on down and drop by and check out Montreal Mayhem!

Last edited:
DAYUM! well done father, amazing write up and thank you to everyone that showed up. Getting so hyped for MK10 knowing potentially there could be 18 people that show up. Special thanks again to @Ram, remember next time you come to the ranbats you can give me a call and crash at my place.

Congrats to @KRYS9984 running us over with them Krys bats and taking the season.

KRYS9984

Noob
Well, season 1 ended on a high note for Montreal Mayhem; we had our biggest turnout yet, streamed the event and left knowing there's great potential for our scene.

I just want to give a few shout-outs to people who supported Montreal Mayhem (season 1).

@CanadianBaconX Incredibly important and dedicated member who shows up every week, runs the bracket(s) and provides the godlike write-ups for everyone to enjoy. Youdabess!
@Chuckychuck dedicated member and my training partner since MK9; we spent many hours in the lab braking down mechanics / characters and talking about fighting games. He also brings the hype (with Hard_goodbye / T.Roll).
@C-Sword Thank you for bringing the stream equipment when dropping by. I always enjoy playing Mortal Kombat 9 with you because we both use the highest damage characters and forced to play cautiously.
@Darkbloom / @PestoSwami A couple of really cool guys that have now inherited commentator duties (when available). You guys were really on point Sunday and I'm sure everyone agrees.
@Ecodus Came back extremely strong after a short break making it to Grand Finals. Top notch player who constantly keeps you on your toes with his vast character knowledge. Great showing man (commentary as well)!
@hard_goodbye Really cool and collected player that doesn't crack under pressure. His Catwoman has improved tenfold and will only keep getting better. He also brings the hype (with Chuckychuck / T.Roll).
@Mortal Komhat Member who shows up regularly and great to talk fighting games with. His Shazam is always improving and this week took a well deserved victory.
@xQUANTUMx Probably has the most hectic schedule but still finds time to drop by and play some games. Excellent Superman player who always has lasers available for people interested #KryptonianLaserShow.
@T.roll A dedicated member, skilled fighter and one of the best / unique personalities at MM / Foonzo. Loves to get hype (with ChuckyChuck / Hard_goodbye) and dish out X-Rays / Babalities like candy on Halloween.
@IFEELYOURHATRED @Fire Warrior @Brawling beast @Wind Masta @NetherRealmSnake Newest members at MM that show great potential. Looking forward to MKX so we can all make the merge into one game.

Also:

@Ram Thanks for coming to Montreal for the biggest and best MM yet. Hopefully we'll see you around one of these days, the door is always open.
@AK RM Blake For front paging Montreal Mayhem content which ultimately helps grow the scene. Without the exposure, we wouldn't have come across our latest members. Thank you Bat-Brother!
@TYM members for taking the time to check out the Montreal Mayhem stream http://www.twitch.tv/montreal_mayhem our Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_l33Ovk4DITNJHTEfWV5Pg and last but not least CanadianBacons' epic write-ups each week found here on TYM. Thanks for the support and keep an eye open for future events.

See you at the next one!

Last edited: