What's new

Monitors, Do They Really matter?

Bilbo11

Noob
Monitors - How do they effect your play?

I would love to hear the TYM Community's opinion on this,

Personally I use a BenQ XL2420T for my PC and PS4,
But when I have friends over we used an LG 42" Plasma, this changed once everyone noticed the difference and started using their PC monitors for MKX, now I roll out my PC screen for fight nights.

Does the community as a whole notice/feel the difference, or is it all in our heads :p

What do you use at home?
What do they use at local tournaments VS larger ones?

Please feel free to comment :)

Bilbo11

Noob
At home i have a 52" tv at local its monitors. I drop everything combo wise first few games
So you drop everything because your used to your own, but you can adapt better to the Monitors?

What if it was the other way around where you play at home on a Monitor but at Local they had TV screens?

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Playing in a tournament with big money on a laggy monitor sucks. Anything that prevents it from being your own error isn't good, but especially if your muscle memory isn't doing what it should because your screen makes you drop all your combos in the first few games, sometimes the most vital games to get right early.

Bilbo11

Noob
No, not really.

I've heard competitors say otherwise, but without context I would assume such people are pampered fucking celebrities.
The main reason why my friends and I play on a monitor now, is because one of my friends is a tournament Veteran in my country and he was gearing up for a major. He even offered to bring his own Monitor on the night. Since then, he has converted us to the Monitor Regime :-P

Bilbo11

Noob
Thanks for the reply @PND_Ketchup from your experience would most places supply low MS screens, and would competitors rage if they had to play out their pools on normal TVs, even if they are like 6MS? Compared to BenQs 1GTGms?

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
No, not really.

I've heard competitors say otherwise, but without context I would assume such people are pampered fucking celebrities.
What? TV/Monitor lag is definitely a real thing. Just like timings from PC / XB1 / PS4. There's a reason USFIV is mainly played on 360 and why there's whole websites dedicated to monitor latency.

Sooooo. I buy a ps4 just for mkx. Then I have to buy a new hitbox because the one I made out of a shitty pdp mkx pad breaks. I'm feeling good at this point. I've got everything I need to play right? I play on my TV in my living room, all feels fine. I head up to my cousins and play on his Asus and, I can't land shit. Off to the Web I go, to spend another 200 on a BenQ monitor. Long story short yes it matters. I must really love mk!

n1kosh

Train harder
Monitor have good response time 2-5ms. This is good for fighting. Also better image quality.
TV have big size screen. I play MKX on 50" Sony Bravia. My friend use Asus 24" Monitor. He is very happy and i very happy :cool:

Bilbo11

Noob
So the difference goes both ways? If your used to a TV in the living room, go to a Local and play on a Monitor you will drop shit, andif you play on a Monitor at home then attend a local that uses TVs you will drop shit?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Try playing on a 46" plasma and then playing on a monitor and you'll see the difference. When buying a monitor, you're looking for low response time and low input lag. Most monitors advertise low response times, but don't advertise input lag, but you can usually find that info through a google search. I'm a big fan of the Asus VS248H-P, but any of the other sizes on that page will do you just fine.

My first tournament of UFGT in 2013, and up until then I had only played on my giant plasma. When I got to the tournament and started practicing on their monitors, I couldn't do a single combo, couldn't wake up, and generally couldn't play the game the way I was used to. It was an awful experience. It's like playing offline practice mode for 8 hours straight and then going into an online KOTH, as far as the difference in timing.

If you plan to be a tournament player, you need to bite the bullet and buy and monitor.

jmt

Noob
They 100% matter.

I just recently ran into this problem at my local.
I was dropping my Sonya combos that I hit every single time at home on my tv. The main combo was ms low rc 12 in the corner. Timing was waaaay off. Very frustrating.

It's a subtle difference, but its there. I don't even think it's even something you can see necessarily (though I'm sure some will claim to), but its definitely something you can feel when you try to play. Things just feel slightly out of sync, which can throw everything off.

It matters alot more than you'd think. I was a skeptic of this myself...

My first tournament match (never played on a lagless monitor before). Not being used to immediate inputs really hurt.

You can see my meaties are coming out early (I whiff a cr.MK, which has like, a billion active frames lol) and frame traps with cr.LK ~ Overpower missing. I'm pressing all the buttons early, because I did not know I was compensating for lag when playing at home.

My TV at home may be a bit more laggy than most though. I tend to buy very large-but-mediocre-quality TV's. good for watching Football, not so much fighting games :p

n1kosh

Train harder
But if you use premium TV, then you have good quality and less lag. As like my Bravia... But monitor is still better..

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Having a moniter def makes a difference. The good thing is that you can get a pretty good moniter for less then 200 bucks. One of the best investments I've made. And they aren't just good for fighters. First person shooters, moba's, hell even movies look great on a moniter. Plus, it keeps the wife from getting mad at me for hogging the tv :p

Bilbo11

Noob
They 100% matter.

I just recently ran into this problem at my local.
I was dropping my Sonya combos that I hit every single time at home on my tv. The main combo was ms low rc 12 in the corner. Timing was waaaay off. Very frustrating.
Could you give me the specs on what you used at home, and what they had at the Local?

Personally on my 42" Plasma, I used JC's F24, D1, F3, NP as an example and could not land the D1 after the F24 because I used the Image as a reference, I splitted the screens and could land it every time on the Monitor. To get it right for the TV I had to input faster but I had no chance of getting his Corner combo off on the Plasma.

What did you use at home compared to the local, and how did effect your experience

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I didn't believe it, but yes it does matter. I play on a monitor, and when i went to my friends house to play on his 47 inch TV, i dropped almost every other combo.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
Could you give me the specs on what you used at home, and what they had at the Local?

Personally on my 42" Plasma, I used JC's F24, D1, F3, NP as an example and could not land the D1 after the F24 because I used the Image as a reference, I splitted the screens and could land it every time on the Monitor. To get it right for the TV I had to input faster but I had no chance of getting his Corner combo off on the Plasma.

What did you use at home compared to the local, and how did effect your experience
check out displaylag.com , it shows latency of all the good monitors/tvs

MK_Al

Noob
I play on TV at home. When I go to my dojo the monitors are "lag free", and I keep droping tight stuff at least the first hour. So yes, it works both ways. I'm terrible at adapting to lag and I hate it. When I play at a friends house on his TV it's even worse. It almost feels like playing online (though pretty good online).