What's new

MKX Top 8 at EVO 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It is often said that anything can happen at EVO -- and that has never been more true than it was today. Throughout the tournament season since April, we've seen a number of players who have dominated the field for weeks -- and a number of them were sent straight to the losers bracket in pools today.

The mayhem started as Texas' OFIDYAN and his Reptile sent Perfect Legend to Losers early on, followed by CORN Adonis defeating REO in a stunner. Kitana Prime, who has been battling his demons over the course of 3 games, overcame them on Saturday to defeat YOMI's MIT and exit a difficult pool in Winners. And KH's Cat sent the veteran Tom Brady to losers.

There were a number of great matches throughout the day -- with a hotly contested close set that Denzell would eventually win over Coach Steve's Kano, a heartbreaker of a set between friends Pig of the Hut and Blind Ducky, a victory for Sonic Fox after Mustard forced him to switch from Erron Black to Kitana, and a very even match between Shujinkydink and Darth Arma.

But the intensity was ratcheted up even further just out of pools, as the Quarterfinals matches had everyone losing their collective cool. Shots were fired early as Alucard's Kotal bested Pig of the Hut and The SNKE narrowly pulled out an incredibly exciting close victory over Greece's Nivek.

A Losers' match between Tom Brady and GGA's Dizzy went down to the wire, with both players matching read for read, until a last-minute standoff and some clutch play by Tom sent Dizzy home. And Texas' Master Betty would return the favor by sending Tom our of the tournament shortly thereafter.

And all sorts of malarkey was set to break loose in Top 32 as a wildly unpredictable sequence of events unfolded. Big D skillfully navigated REO's Tanya with his trusy Ermac, notching himself an impressive upset. HoneyBee looked ready for all of Sonic Fox's Kitana gimmicks, and was able to cap up his Erron Black as well, sending him to Losers. Zyphox kept his composure and worked his way through Kitana Prime and SaltFace to reach finals day. And a player new to the offline scene, MilkySituation, defeated both Slayer and Digit on his way to undoubtedly one of the most stunning EVO Top 8's we've ever seen.

TOP 8

WINNERS
  • YOMI DJT (Kung Lao, USA) vs. PND|A F0xy Grampa (Kung Lao, UK)
  • cR. RM HoneyBee (D'Vorah, Canada) vs. PND|Ketchup (Quan Chi, UK)
LOSERS
  • cR. SonicFox (Kitana/Erron Black, USA) vs. YOMI MIT (Tanya, USA)
  • JLA|MilkySituation (Reptile, USA) vs. YOMI Zyphox (Liu Kang, USA)
(Link to the MKX Top 8 Finals Bracket: http://evo2015.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/mk10_finals.html )

TOMORROW

With viewers and players still recovering from the sheer insanity of today's tournament play, we won't have long to wait before the Top 8 kicks off -- Sunday at 11 AM PST, on http://twitch.tv/srkevo1

And based on everything so far, it's a Finals Day you won't want to miss. See you there :)

Attachments

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Out of the top 8, 5 of them were the ones I expected. I love how diverse the top 8. I'm pretty sure NO ONE predicated this (no shade)

Milky situation tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways. This was one of the hypest tournaments yet and it's not even done yet lol. I'm pulling for Honeybee hard. He's my favorite so far, but anyone here can win and that's the best thing about this top 8. I wouldn't be ashamed with who won.

Good luck to all. I'm sure it'll be a blast

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
In fairness a lot of top players got unlucky in the same path

But hype top 8 big ups to Saltface,Tyrant and Gross for there hype performance

And Tom Brady for finally overcoming his Demons with one of the Worlds best Raiden Dizzy

Deitti

Noob
This EVO has been so awesome, i couldn't be anymore hype right now. I was hoping one guy from europe to make top8 but instead we got Foxy and Ketchup and then there is HoneyBee representing Canada too.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
well done to all the EU guys, really made a awesome showing over there.

was nice to see a good bit of mileena on stream but it was tumbleweed city waiting round for a hellfire scorpion, poor hanzo #neverallowedtolive@evos

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Congrats to all 3 YOMI players, especially @YOMI Zyphox for getting top 8!

Also, super surprised there are no BrokeShaper Shinnoks in the top 8. He's just soooo good and unbeatable, I can't believe none of them made it.

:DOGE

And @YOMI MITYEAP, if you win I want to see that bernie. Hell, I want to see it after every match you win!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There was almost too much to write about, haha. In the words of the indomitable Bill Menoutis:

"Great tournament; great experience"

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings, because today was full of all kinds of goodness -- big congrats to everybody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.