What's new

MKX to IGAU2 and MK11 Mechanics improvements, feedback thread

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys, i've been trying to write this thread in a while now, and still don't know what title it should have, in general, is a thread like others, were you give your feedback of the positive things you enjoyed in the game, so NRS devs can look out for and improve anything they feel like for the next game without necessarily giving their feed back. They've been doing this since MK vs DCU if i can recall, and the leveling up they got is pretty interesting and pretty rewarding.

Note: Do not use this thread to talk about, how you miss Shang, Smoke and so others, there is a DLC session for that, if a similar thread was created already about what i'm going to post here, and i would like you guys to share your point of view then i'm sorry, Mods could fuse this thread with an existing one if needed.

There is things that i feel like is way too early to talk in the game mechanics, as Anti-Airing being difficult, 50/50s, please leave those out of this thread, the game is still pretty young and clearly there are things that weren't fully exploited yet, but yes is hard to jab characters out of the air, now that this got out of the way, lets have a technical look into the MKX features, and see in what areas NRS needs to improove.

::: Online :::
Yes, i know NRS is trying to make Online better, is has been improving ever since, all i can say is that they need to keep improving, since this is the first issue most of the community addresses, no doubt online feels actually playable by some but is still a road to go.

::: A Mode that could slowly bring Casuals into the competitive world Tutorial improvements:::
This is another room where i think NRS can shine to the point of bring us tears, as educated competitive players, we still feel the tutorial mode being kind of bland, sure does explain the basic mechanics of the feature, but that's it, IMO NRS could bring a tutorial mode that would casually bring casual players slowly into the world of tournament players, by having a more advanced rather than explaining, normals, meter, breakers, reversals and X-rays, most of the people for instance doesn't know how to properly use the training mode.

A Trial mode, explaining on the devs perspective what variation A, B and C of said characters should be played, it would help to give a general feel of the characters itself, like teaching combos is a good way to bring in casual players into the competitive side, but also teaching what armor is, what moves are immunes to throws and so so, if we look at the guide Tom Brady rote about the basic mechanics, could be something to be used as a tutorial in game, where we could try to achieve those features like learning that there are invincibility in backdashes, and the wakeup system.

::: Practice mode :::
This is one of the best things in MKX, just to point it out some of the favorite things:
1. You can set your meter to normal, it restart full but won't refill unless you reset, which helps you test meter building tactics
2. You can set the number of amount of meter you will restart with.
3. Reversal training, by having special moves to come out on block and determine which one, it actually helps to find gaps and determine blockstrings in the game.
4. Setting the amount of life to have is awesome well.

Generally the training mode is pretty much 9/10, but here is what i feel like is missing and definitely is something NRS could implement

::: Online Lag Simulator :::
Since having a online experience can be displeasing by some, this would actually help players to emulate their lag to properly learn how to combo, punish and deal with lag tactics, which in consequence would reduce the crying of character X or Y tool be this or that, and more so hopefully reduce the bitching about online.

::: Record AI could have different slots :::
Why i think this should be in the game? Well If you could have different slots to AI and put them play with a priority meter, it would make possible to train multiple setups at the same time but happening randomly, Tekken has something similar and do wonders of training against mixups, it would also help to better training against 50/50s and other options this game has, and figure the best option of defense much faster when option A B or C are happening nearly at the same time.

::: Command Training :::
Sometimes we want to learn a new character, and we have to constantly look at this move list and tag moves on the screen to keep remember them. It wouldn't hurt to have a command training feature, that would put us to do every move in the command list the character offers, it would be 10 times more faster than hitting pause multiple times.

::: Setting the health meter to only 5% minimum instead of 10% :::
This shouldn't even be here, but NRS gave Johnny Cage a power-up related to his Seido powers heritage, but that only activates with 5% health, so in order to used the Seido powerup, i have to set the health meter to reset with 10%, then i have to Jab Johnny Cage every time i press select which is kind of a turn off.

I'm not sure if in future games we will have similar buffs, but if we do NRS make sure they can be accessed through training mode in one go, kinda feels irreveland right? The Seido power allows Johnny Cage to do more damage in any variation when his life goes down to 5% some of his 33% combos can easely get to 40%, which is why i think this is a pretty big deal.

The new positive adds
+ Special moves having special proprieties when used or ex'd are great
+ Inclusion of both ex and mb moves are awesome
+ The new combo link system, either with run cancel or hit confirming normals out of specials on small windows, i expect to see more of these in the future
+ Variations are great, its so enjoyable when you have 3 ways of playing your character
+ The ability to punish jump ins as they land on every single jump is one of my favourite, i remember MK9 only could do this against jumping punches, now even jump in kicks are either punishable
+ Being able to start a combo by jumping backwards, MK9 there was a bug not allowing this to happen.
+ The new Stamina tied with the meter for breaker is awesome, it surely forces players to break less, job well done here NRS
+ Pause Delay, thank you so much, no more pause wins and persons accidentally pressing pause when mashing.
+ Versus stats is one of my favorites, now we get to see each day, when i beat my training partner and know what the score really is.
+ Match Replays, this one is perfect as well, a long waited feature, hope it can be tweaked in future games because i've been told it consumes your cloud data or something, someone could clarify?

Not Exactly Negative but feels like some more work could be done
- Since is extremely hard to jab characters out of the air, its clear that the float system and the landing recover makes up for another ways of punishment against jump ins, but there are jump in moves that can't be ducked when aimed for the head due the hitbox being extremely wide, and most characters are forced to block, i could just as well be able to jab them out of the air.

- Not a big fan of the wakeup system, there is only one room for a true wakeup attack, if you delay you can't wakeup any longer.
- 1 frame to unblock
- Not having reversal strings, if character A abuses of his -10 on block move, my 10 startup string should be able to punish if i just frame it on the correct window.
- Some variations as far as the game expands, are not well though through, as proof we have character were only 1 or 2 variations are being used the most, hopefully this changes by the time passes.
- Having only 1 X-Ray
- Needs more diversity of playstyle rather than just 50-50s across the roster
- Not having projectile invincible moves
- Not having low profile strings
- Buffer inputs by holding a direction: This one, i think is a mechanical flaw that i believe it can still go away, its giving us so many problems because it storage moves like Down or Back, while you're holding them, and then you want to do the appropriate move for the occasion and you get a random special move coming down, if there is how to fix this issue, NRS should fix it:

If you hold down with raiden, and then you want to punish someone with B2, instead of the overhead, you will get vicinity blast.
If you hold down with Scorpion, and you want to punish someone with B3, instead of the low, you will get teleport
Same thing happens with BF inputs.

Sometimes you're blocking and you want a directional normal and this happens:
NRS, the easiest way to fix this is by adding a time in frames that allows the game to recognize the inputs as one, like for example the time required to perform a combination of two directional inputs (BF, DB, FB, DD, etc) should be 6 frames between inputs. As fo right now, it doesn't have a restriction so its working like the Street Fighter Charging System, were i as much as i'm holding down indefinitely, the instant i press B2 out of holding down, i will get vicinity blast.

You can see Justin Wong complaining about this on his only match against Sonic Fox.

I'm not sure if you guys will read the whole thread, i'm not sure if you guys agree with me in general, but this is what i felt like bringing to the table, pretty sure you guys have something to talk too.

d3v

SRK
Their next game(s) needs to license GGPO netcode. No sense in using a netcode system that's a generation behind like what MKX has.

Hitstun for combos instead of whatever system they're using right now. This way, when something should link based on the frame data, then it should count as a combo.

With how setplay centric their games have become, they need a new defensive mechanic, either some sort of universal parry/just defend, or maybe a sort of alpha counter system. Better yet, MvC2/SG style meterless pushblock that also gives absolute guard (high/low at the same time).

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Their next game(s) needs to license GGPO netcode. No sense in using a netcode system that's a generation behind like what MKX has.

Hitstun for combos instead of whatever system they're using right now. This way, when something should link based on the frame data, then it should count as a combo.

With how setplay centric their games have become, they need a new defensive mechanic, either some sort of universal parry/just defend, or maybe a sort of alpha counter system. Better yet, MvC2/SG style meterless pushblock that also gives absolute guard (high/low at the same time).
Alpha counters are in the game i think, and are called Revesals, of course it will only punish moves who have the least of amount of negative frames the special you input on the blockstun window has as startup, for instance, if Reptile's elbow dash is 8 frames startup, anything that is -8 minimum can be reversal punished by that move. Scorpion teleport is 21f startup, although it can't reversal punish -20 block advantage or less, anything -21 or higher will be reversal punished by that move at any point of the screen.

Putting that aside a mechanic for perfect block that would prevent chip damage would be something really interesting to see, even if it would still build the opponent's meter on block, but taking no damage would make the fights even more challenging.

There is something also i think they stepped in the right direction but could use a few tweaks is how jump kicks on block are all minus, and you can actually blow up people for starting pressure by having one blocked.

What i don't agree with however, is how earlier you can do a jump in punch and mash a fast string and the game still recognizes as a cancel advantage on block that carries over until they reach the ground and start pressuring you. Some of these attacks are almost unavoidable at certain heights that makes me thing at least this should be their main weakness.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
The biggest thing I want, which you mentioned, is a way to at least pick a couple strings to have the AI do randomly in practice mode. That would be so incredibly helpful. It doesn't help reactions when you record the ai and you know it's coming.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The biggest thing I want, which you mentioned, is a way to at least pick a couple strings to have the AI do randomly in practice mode. That would be so incredibly helpful. It doesn't help reactions when you record the ai and you know it's coming.
Indeed it doesn't

d3v

SRK
Alpha counters are in the game i think, and are called Revesals, of course it will only punish moves who have the least of amount of negative frames the special you input on the blockstun window has as startup, for instance, if Reptile's elbow dash is 8 frames startup, anything that is -8 minimum can be reversal punished by that move. Scorpion teleport is 21f startup, although it can't reversal punish -20 block advantage or less, anything -21 or higher will be reversal punished by that move at any point of the screen.
Reversals are different from Alpha counters. The former are simple inputting any special move at the correct timing during blockstun (or during wake up in other fighting games), the move comes out as soon as blockstun ends.

Alpha counters a different, they're a specific input done during blockstun that ends the blockstun with a sort of parry, then does an invincible or armored move that hits the opponent (or in the case of some tag team games, summons in a new character to attack the opponent), and oftentimes leading into a combo as well, but at the cost of meter.

The game actually has something similar to this with armored interactables out of blockstun, but those have since been nerfed.

Good use of alpha counters can actually get you good damage if you know when to use it, and how to combo out of it.

Last edited:

Drew Grimey

Wired players in CA, add me on PSN @ DrewGrimey
No offense, but I literally stopped at "online lag simulator". Why set the bar so low?

I thought that by next gen and the year 2015, input based lag would be a thing of the past and we would move on to GGPO by now. Maybe 2018 will be better for NRS games online

d3v

SRK
No offense, but I literally stopped at "online lag simulator". Why set the bar so low?

I thought that by next gen and the year 2015, input based lag would be a thing of the past and we would move on to GGPO by now. Maybe 2018 will be better for NRS games online
Because even GGPO cannot totally eliminate lag. At the most, it'll just prevent lag spikes in game, but ping time/distance will still allow for some amount of (static) input delay.

Drew Grimey

Wired players in CA, add me on PSN @ DrewGrimey
Because even GGPO cannot totally eliminate lag. At the most, it'll just prevent lag spikes in game, but ping time/distance will still allow for some amount of (static) input delay.
Regardless, GGPO would be a much better request rather than a tool that gives NRS an excuse to be lazy for a fourth time with their netcode

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
i have one input.... how about a true "next-gen" engine.... that "Unreal 3.5" is getting a little old now, + they would have to re-work the netcode, on a more "capable" engine.... that could solve the problem once and for all, or, fucked up things even more.... LOL

Seriously though, new engine pls....

Landonio

n00b
-Better online.
-Less input lag.
-Re-worked wake-up system/armor moves.
-Supers that actually take an ounce of skill to execute and are more punishable on block/whiff. Also the start-up speed and armor could be toned down a bit too. Or raw damage. It's one of the few things that should be more life SF4. Should be a bigger risk/reward ratio to it (i.e. much more risk).
-Better throw system
-More characters that people actually care about (N00b, Smoke, Shang, Jade, robots, etc.)
-Make the inputs for the EX versions of moves not be so much tighter than the normal ones. Doesn't make sense.
-Remove stance switch.
-FULLY customizable controls with shortcuts.

What if they just changed the requirements for a push block and made it only cost full stamina or something.

d3v

SRK
What if they just changed the requirements for a push block and made it only cost full stamina or something.
Could work. That said, certain games (MvC2/3, Darkstalkers 3, Skullgirls, etc.) have shown that you can have meterless pushblock in game and not have it be broken (and in certain cases, still have the game offense heavy).

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
My only thing would be the graphics, i get jealous at times looking at tekkens graphics & designs and and also dead or alive graphics too , kinda wish Mortal kombat would move to the more realistic look if you understand what i mean lol

& for god sakes FIX THE DAMN ONLINE MODE waited 4 years & 9 months just to have the same lag as the last game ;( like...