What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao MKX Kung Lao: Why he is alive & aged

This is pure speculation and a damn good one at that, as to the reason why Kung Lao is back, as well as aged like he never left..

The way I see it, its simple really, Shao Kahn broke the rules of Mortal Kombat in killing Kung Lao outside of an actual match, this man had just fought in multiple matches back to back, and after coming out victorious, Kahn sore loser a** broke his neck for no good reason, I'm speculating Raiden goes to the elder gods after putting an end to Shao Kahn and asks for him to be returned since he was killed outside of the rules...

Now this leaves me thinking about the whole situation with the rest of the earthrealm kombatants and Sindel...I do believe they were killed outside of the rules as well, but then again maybe the elder gods will turn a blind eye to what went down in the monastery. Quan Chi does have most of the fallen warriors souls...

Side note: So with Kung Lao being back, this totally opens the gate for anyone who was killed, or supposedly killed in Mk9 to be revived, and make an appearance in MKX, I stand by my theory that Liu Kang will indeed return, possibly as a god, or older, one thing I feel is for sure, he definitely will be on the neutral, or even have it out for Raiden, I'm thinking over the 25 year period Liu Kang goes rogue, and goes through changes along the way....anyway that's my speculation, just wanted to share it.

If u have your own theories please leave them below!

@FCP/EMP SCAR
Idk much about MK, but I think kung lao was reincarnated or the Great Kung lao came back ? And if what your saying is true about the gods reviving Lao and not the others, maybe they saved the important ones? Not saying some characters are worth more then others (I am) maybe they revived Kitana because she's a princess, Nightwolf, and Kung lao.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
@FCP/EMP SCAR
Idk much about MK, but I think kung lao was reincarnated or the Great Kung lao came back ? And if what your saying is true about the gods reviving Lao and not the others, maybe they saved the important ones? Not saying some characters are worth more then others (I am) maybe they revived Kitana because she's a princess, Nightwolf, and Kung lao.
Kung Lao is the reincarnation of the Great Kung Lao yeah.
I think Kung Lao is the only one that will be brought back in this fashion as he was actually killed in the tournament setting after he won a match, which will be against some bullshit elder god law or something. The rest of the characters died outside of the tournament so the elder gods probably don't care.

NKZero

Noob
@FCP/EMP SCAR

Yeah that actually makes sense...I was more going along the lines of a re-incarnated Lao but I think the fact that he has aged (probably around 25 years) shows that it must be the same iteration as MK9's Lao.

This is a side note though, is Shang Tsung really dead?

Kung Lao is the reincarnation of the Great Kung Lao yeah.
I think Kung Lao is the only one that will be brought back in this fashion as he was actually killed in the tournament setting after he won a match, which will be against some bullshit elder god law or something. The rest of the characters died outside of the tournament so the elder gods probably don't care.
Since kung lao is aging, maybe he's like shang tsung.

@FCP/EMP SCAR

Yeah that actually makes sense...I was more going along the lines of a re-incarnated Lao but I think the fact that he has aged (probably around 25 years) shows that it must be the same iteration as MK9's Lao.

This is a side note though, is Shang Tsung really dead?
As far a shang tsung goes, its still too early to tell whether he will play a role or not, his power was used to enhance Sindel abilities, but the exact outcome after that was never actually shown...maybe he was put in a weakened state near death, and was thrown in a dungeon somewhere....I for one don't believe he is dead...I mean its shang tsung we are talking about here, a bad ass sorcerer..

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
That actually does make a lot of sense, I could see it happening like that. As for Shang, maybe after Sindel died he was restored? Since all his power was inside her... I don't know, I just want him to be back. :(

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As far a shang tsung goes, its still too early to tell whether he will play a role or not, his power was used to enhance Sindel abilities, but the exact outcome after that was never actually shown...maybe he was put in a weakened state near death, and was thrown in a dungeon somewhere....I for one don't believe he is dead...I mean its shang tsung we are talking about here, a bad ass sorcerer..
A High Level Shadow Priest.

Anyway, if that's just Kung Lao then good, but if is the Great Kung Lao, Ho Lee Fu Ken Xiet!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
*Testing to see if Kung Lao threads now show up in the recent posts.....*

Edit:

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
The others weren't in a tournament when they died so I don't know if that counts. But that does make sense for Lao

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
If no other characters that died return, i will assume that this Kung Lao is the Great Kung Lao.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
But that would require the elder gods to be competent and fair which is something they REALLY suck at.
Always wanted to know where this comes from. Not entirely sure about competence, but as far as fairness goes, I'm at loss.

If I understand backstory correctly, all they really care for is keeping their nemesis in pieces, every realm being one of those. They don't really care if just another one is populated world or barren waste. I imagine they don't really like the latter option as those pesky life forms tend to be naturally driven to unknowingly do what Elder Gods do themselves - resist attempts to unify what's separate, albeit for other reasons, like drive to stand on their own in power games, value of freedom or whatever. In fact, it's entirely possible that existing civilizations were shaped (or even created) to perform this very function, which they did.

Whatever is our role in grand scheme of things, and whether or not we really count for something in a separate question though. As it was stated, Elder Gods are opposed to merging realms and that's it. I'm surprised that someone like Raiden, old enough to work with every tournament out there (incredibly stacked in favour of defenders, by the way) and see pretty much everything related, as well as to observe huge portion of history of mankind, is so surprised that someone is playing on technicalities. Like, seriously?

On a side note, I imagine if someone decides (and is capable) to rule entire universe through means of portal logistics, without resorting to attempt to merge realms, Elder Gods would do f*ck all to oppose that. It's just seems that all realms combined don't have enough beings powerful enough (and interested in that) to create portal network to actually make this practical. Who knows where it may end up though, what's with knowledge of realms spreading out due to not so subtle events of MK9 and potential for technological (using the term loosely here) advancement considering that we're looking at another 25 years time skip...

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I think shang is dead. ... look at quans back. One of his variations he has some green hands cut off just above the wrist. ........

I hadn't considered that, good shit. I for one definitely don't think Shang is dead and believe he will have some sort of minor (or major) role in the story.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Question though: Was Kung Lao one of Quan Chi's soul soldiers? If so, the theory falls apart because he would then be a member of the Netherrealm.

IMO Kung Lao just gets a reincarnation booster. Also it doesn't make sense that Raiden would continuously fail to mention him as an earthrealm hero yet reference sonya, Johnny, and the like almost every time. So either Raiden doesn't know (which gets rid of the going to elder gods) or Kung Lao isn't the same Lao as before.

As for Sindel, her spirit belongs to someone else now. I don't see them hitting the undo-switch on that. Carries over to shang who was being hosted by her.

Remember that when goro defeated the great kung lao, shang tsung took his soul and trapped it. well shang tsung had his powers and souls given to sindel in mk9, which is why she was able to kill all of the earth realm fighters. When she dies because of nightwolf all of those souls have to go somewhere, my guess is the great kung lao is released and he helps earth realm in mkx. Raiden even references that hes been missing for some time in the trailer "Where have you been Kung Lao?"

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Remember that when goro defeated the great kung lao, shang tsung took his soul and trapped it. well shang tsung had his powers and souls given to sindel in mk9, which is why she was able to kill all of the earth realm fighters. When she dies because of nightwolf all of those souls have to go somewhere, my guess is the great kung lao is released and he helps earth realm in mkx. Raiden even references that hes been missing for some time in the trailer "Where have you been Kung Lao?"
Well yeah but they could be first meeting years down the road, which would be "some time". Raiden would probably be due an explanation why the world went to shiet on a plate and Kung Lao went AWOL for even a year let alone 5, 10, 15, or 25 years.

Cool_Prizes

Angry Joshua
HONESTLY.... I think he probably just survived his neck being broken and was most likely healed by Outworld natives (PRAYING IT BE LI MEI AND HER FAM) and just lived there for a long while.... And most likely won't show up in the story until after the Netherrealm War.....

Assuming he and Li Mei get caught up in the middle of the Outworld Civil War

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
HONESTLY.... I think he probably just survived his neck being broken and was most likely healed by Outworld natives (PRAYING IT BE LI MEI AND HER FAM) and just lived there for a long while.... And most likely won't show up in the story until after the Netherrealm War.....

Assuming he and Li Mei get caught up in the middle of the Outworld Civil War
Can't be.
Kung Lao is in the Netherrealm, along with what should be everyone. Kitana is down there (probably bound to Quan Chi through soul contract, broken when Kotal becomes the new outworld person) so we can assume Kung Lao was in the same boat. He probably escaped with the rest and simply waited 25 years to pop up, ala Bo Rai Cho.

Cool_Prizes

Angry Joshua
T
Can't be.
Kung Lao is in the Netherrealm, along with what should be everyone. Kitana is down there (probably bound to Quan Chi through soul contract, broken when Kotal becomes the new outworld person) so we can assume Kung Lao was in the same boat. He probably escaped with the rest and simply waited 25 years to pop up, ala Bo Rai Cho.
That makes a lot sense....
But White eyes are the dead giveaway for ressurrection in the MK universe.... and he doesn't have them. Though neither does Kitana.... So that theory seems the most legit.