What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao MKX Kung Lao Variations Speculation w/ Perfect Legend - How will each one play?

With the official news of Kung Lao as the next revealed character for Mortal Kombat X it seems only natural that the Kung Lao legend himself, Perfect Legend would have something to say about it. In this video, Carl "Perfect Legend" White takes us in to his head in regards to how he thinks each variation of Kung Lao's will play out.

Kung Lao will feature three different character variations just like the rest of the Mortal Kombat X cast. His variations include "Tempest", "Buzz Saw" and "Hat Trick". Check out Perfect Legend's latest video and be sure to comment whether you agree, disagree, have a better idea?

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Tempest sounds the most interesting to me, especially the Tazmanian part.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Tempest Lao might actually get some free pressure if he gets that hat out protecting him, it also says that he can block projectiles, so i ask myself if the Hat Shield will have a fast startup or a slow one, this can decide how this special move will playout.

Fast startup (w/ invincibility startup) and slow circling?
Slow startup (w/ no invincibility startup) and fast circling?

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
(Bond - D) + net = bonnet.
(Bone) + net bonnet.

Do you think the orbiting hat is going to act like black adams trait cause thats what it sounds like to me.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Legit did not know you could control the trajectory arc of EX low hat in MK9. da fuq.

My best guess on the Tempest variation is that it'll work similarly to the level 5 hat toss that does double duty as a shield in Shaolin Monks, but will be heavily meter-tied.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Legit did not know you could control the trajectory arc of EX low hat in MK9. da fuq.

My best guess on the Tempest variation is that it'll work similarly to the level 5 hat toss that does double duty as a shield in Shaolin Monks, but will be heavily meter-tied.
Considering Shaolin Monks, that Hat took some time to become active, basically i think it was close to a second, but once out that move was pretty good.

I wonder if that will be the case here, also while its out, maybe it will be able to absorb hits like Decapre's U1, and KL players might actually be able to do some chip with it.

But if its a fast startup, it might become a good projectile shield upon activation, just like Subs's Ice Clone will be.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I really hope MKX Lao isn't normalized due to the constant crying of online scrubs who couldn't adapt or punish a -40 on block and -60 on whiff spin, d1xxcombo punish tele kick or full combo punish a blocked dive kick lol.

I hear all this scrubs saying KL was OP in MK9 lol really?

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I really hope MKX Lao isn't normalized due to the constant crying of online scrubs who couldn't adapt or punish a -40 on block and -60 on whiff spin, d1xxcombo punish tele kick or full combo punish a blocked dive kick lol.

Maybe because none of the things u mentioned are the ones that made him OP lol really.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

He was, that is why he got nerfed.

Spin was safe on block due the pushback, you could blockstring into Spins without worrying if the opponent will try to poke out or not.
Low hat was +24 on block, with his 7 string he could do block infinities.
Stupid Damage output out dive kick loops, Ultimate Hat loops, Xray combos with stupid damage.

So NRS normalized him, i think out of the nerfed characters who remained to still be fairly balanced it was Kung Lao.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Either one of us doesn't know what words mean or you have some kind of ridiculous logic.

Since when is trying to make a competitive game's cast normal overall, and therefore balanced, a bad thing?

Reactions: Mst

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.

Spin was safe on block due the pushback, you could blockstring into Spins without worrying if the opponent will try to poke out or not.
Stupid Damage output out dive kick loops, Ultimate Hat loops, Xray combos with stupid damage.

So NRS normalized him, i think out of the nerfed characters who remained to still be fairly balanced it was Kung Lao.
I mean after the nerfs eveybody. He was fair after he got nerfed. But people keep saying he was OP even after he got nerfed!

Spin was punishable by fast moves I remember. I agree that it needed to be nerfed but they made it way too - on block and whiff.

Meanwhile you got chars like Sonnya with amazing range on normals, safe armor that launches you for full combos into resets etc etc...

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Another way of fixing low hat was to make it like -5 and give it push back, so it kinda worked like SF ryus c.mkxx fireball.

STRYKIE

I mean after the nerfs eveybody. He was fair after he got nerfed. But people keep saying he was OP even after he got nerfed!

Spin was punishable by fast moves I remember. I agree that it needed to be nerfed but they made it way too - on block and whiff.

Meanwhile you got chars like Sonnya with amazing range on normals, safe armor that launches you for full combos into resets etc etc...
I don't mean to further antagonise any arguments here but I think the reason why a lot of people had trouble fighting Kung Lao pre-patch was because a lot of people didn't yet have a solid feel of MK9's mechanics at the time. Not so much any nerfs he received (with the obvious exception of things like the teleport 3,2 infinite). Even with the pushback, Spin was still punishable by characters who mattered and low hat was definitely negative on block, I'm not sure precisely how negative, but I swear there was this Cyrax player who punished it with Cyrax's 1,1,1 (I was just lucky that he didn't have a brain and didn't think to hit-confirm into net lol) online, so I would've thought it was at least -9. It did have faster recovery though, so who knows.

This also happened with Deathstroke in Injustice when nobody knew how to properly advance against his gunshots, but several Deathstroke players have since proved that zoning was never his key strength. I'm not sure if it'll happen with Kung Lao again, but there will definitely be some things that are incorrectly/impulsively nerfed in MKX to appeal to the masses, it is what it is.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't mean to further antagonise any arguments here but I think the reason why a lot of people had trouble fighting Kung Lao pre-patch was because a lot of people didn't yet have a solid feel of MK9's mechanics at the time. Not so much any nerfs he received (with the obvious exception of things like the teleport 3,2 infinite). Even with the pushback, Spin was still punishable by characters who mattered and low hat was definitely negative on block, I'm not sure precisely how negative, but I swear there was this Cyrax player who punished it with Cyrax's 1,1,1 (I was just lucky that he didn't have a brain and didn't think to hit-confirm into net lol) online, so I would've thought it was at least -9. It did have faster recovery though, so who knows.

This also happened with Deathstroke in Injustice when nobody knew how to properly advance against his gunshots, but several Deathstroke players have since proved that zoning was never his key strength. I'm not sure if it'll happen with Kung Lao again, but there will definitely be some things that are incorrectly/impulsively nerfed in MKX to appeal to the masses, it is what it is.
Hoping nobody touches my character when i start to showcasing techs :rolleyes:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
KL will be good I'm sure, I think they need to just make his spin dizzy like Kabal's blocked dash in MK 9 when blocked just to prevent 100 nerfs on his spin. Keep it simple. If it's blocked, it stuns him enough to punish.

Buzzsaw where he can control the speeds, trajectory, pausing etc sounds like a precise, complex variation. I think his Tempest will be very solid. His Hat trick sounds like it'll work similar to his EX hat throw in MK 9 stunning and giving free damage output for combos, set ups etc.

I think Buzzsaw and Hat Trick will require more invested time than Tempest IMO but we'll see I guess. Just going by the description of all 3. Need trailer, gameplay to get a better idea.

As for the dude saying "nobody should bitch to nerf him too much" ok, I agree that not every little thing should be nerfed but to deny the fact that KL was O.P. and broken at first is dumb, that fucker got probably more nerfs than anyone else in the entire game for a reason and was a scrub friendly character, any average joe could pick him up in a half hour and own with him. I also noticed characters have only one or two moves that are universal with every variation so as far as I'm concerned that should be no different for KL in MK X. If Raiden doesn't have his teleport in every variation then neither should KL. I'm sure some KL fanboys will bitch but too bad, NRS's aim should be balance not "please make KL dominant for fanboys"

Last edited:

STRYKIE

btw @STRYKIE, @Bird Lao X, i forgot to mention earlier, everyone SHOULD'VE be able to punish spin on block, not only the characters that mattered, it never should be a move where is bad for some and good for others. Just look at Kabal and see how retarded his tools are, some can punish others cannot.
Very fair point. It's just that I was thinking about the characters who has trouble punishing some things even now. I don't think any Reptile players should feel bad that Sindel, Jade, Baraka, Stryker etc have no significant way to punish a blocked dash lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Very fair point. It's just that I was thinking about the characters who has trouble punishing some things even now. I don't think any Reptile players should feel bad that Sindel, Jade, Baraka, Stryker etc have no significant way to punish a blocked dash lol.
At least jade can 1,2~SK into juggles, it doesn't do stupid damage but its something.