What's new

MKX: Distance Related BlockStun Can remove the ability to Interrupt w Armor/Backdash

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yeah this happens with other characters. Like for example, Scorpion's B3 EX Spear doesn't jail point blank, but it will from further out. It's probably because you're cancelling later into the active frames of the move which means the opponent is stuck in the blockstun for longer giving more time for the special you cancelled into to make impact. If that makes sense.

Reactions: GAV

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Have you tried recording the interruptable gap with Kenshi and trying to interrupt it yourself? Are the results different?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It doesn't change either. Essentially what is happening is you're hitting with the ending frames of the b3 so the opponent enters block stun slightly later.

Same thing happens with sonya's overhead, low string and several others.

this makes sense, thx

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Sonya has this too with B14 IIRC.

I guess you're hitting them with the last few active frames of B3 so there's a smaller/no gap to armour out.

Pig Of The Hut

Sonya has this too with B14 IIRC.

I guess you're hitting them with the last few active frames of B3 so there's a smaller/no gap to armour out.
That's super weird but like I told Panicmode makes sense

Is this common in all FGs?

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
But that's backwards, If you jail somebody on the first/closest active frames of a normal, pressure should be awarded.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
That's super weird but like I told Panicmode makes sense

Is this common in all FGs?
I don't know if it is in other games but it was definitely in injustice, for example green lanterns b13 string was interruptible unless a max range. I want to say it was in mk9 too because I remember having difficulty armoring out of things in certain situations but testing shit in that game is too difficult to be worth doing now lol

Pig Of The Hut

Yes. It's called a 'meaty' attack, hitting with the last active frame of an attack to give you more block/hit advantage.
hmm I feel like i should know this but never knew the distance removed the ability to interrupt my interruptable stuff

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
There is a few examples of this in SF4 where certain meaty's can lead into combos where the move in neutral has no combo opportunities. Thank you for pointing this out though, never thought to check the possibilities in MKX.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
essentially this is the same thing but i thought the term "meaty" was only applied on wake up... just attacking a ducking opponent from a father distance i dont think would qualify this as a the term "meaty" ( even though in theory its the same thing)

but then again i learned the term meaty years ago - does this now fall into the term? even though its not on wake up?

LEGEND

YES!
Wouldn't the cancel advantage be greater earlier I'm the animation

I know what a meaty is but this sounds backwards to me in terms of cancel advantage on block

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
essentially this is the same thing but i thought the term "meaty" was only applied on wake up... just attacking a ducking opponent from a father distance i dont think would qualify this as a the term "meaty" ( even though in theory its the same thing)

but then again i learned the term meaty years ago - does this now fall into the term? even though its not on wake up?
Generally it's applied on wakeup, since this is when this is most likely to occur.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
This technique is commonly used in SF for either oki, CH setups, or making things like slides safe.

EDIT: meant to add that this is usually called doing/making something "meaty". Hitting in the later active frames of a move. It's most, if not all, fighters. Idk if it would be used for this specific occasion but it's the same concept so I guess why not. Does anyone know if that's the case?

EDIT2: scratch the tremor thing. I think the frame data lists the maximum block and hit advantage you can get. If it's correct of course.

EDIT3: Just tested the tremor f4 against a slower reversal (was initially using sub slide). Against Jacqui's force rush I can get f4 to be safe. F4 says -14 on block but if I hit with just the tip, jacqui's 12f reversal won't punish. Really hard to do though. Really hope it gets made safe or at least safer from a closer distance.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Wouldn't the cancel advantage be greater earlier I'm the animation

I know what a meaty is but this sounds backwards to me in terms of cancel advantage on block
Nope, you're not changing cancel advantage.

As an example, let's say b3 has 6 active frames (just pulled that number from the top of my head) and the gap between b3 and low drop is 3 frames (again made up number). If I do b3 point blank, the opponent will be hit by the b3 on the first active frame and so enter block stun at this time. If I do b3 from a distance, the opponent is hit on the last active frame and is jailed into the low drop because you enter block stun 5 frames later and so the gap disappears.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
As an example in SF4, Rose's drills are safe(r?) when hit at max range iirc.
Yup. Similar concept with Bison's scissor kicks in Ultra, too.

His light scissor kicks are supposed to be -1 on block. But if you use them to hit a blocking opponent at max range where the last few active frames hit the block.....that -1 doesn't even matter anymore.