What's new

MKX Character Impressions from EGX 2014

Hi, guys! After finishing the final day of EGX, I had the super pass so I mainly played MKX most of the time. I got a good friendship going with Derek Kirtzic, Associate Designer, so I didn't have to keep queuing. Instead I hit the MKX ladder mode until they matched me with a single player for the versus mode, as I went up on my own this year. I got a few good matches in against Derek himself and he was pretty sick to spar with...seeing as he designed most characters, I'm not surprised. :)

(Cassie Cage)

Cassie is quick, she plays like Johnny Cage (surprise, surprise), but she also feels unique to herself! She has a nice DB2 cartwheel that lets you escape, but also catches them if they get in to close. She has 3 good variations in her styles. Brawler allows you to do a takedown move with BF2, much like Sonya's takedown in MK9. She also has another style called Hollywood, which lets her do the classic nut crack move, and also permits the use of her guns on the ground or in the air, which allows for some good zoning. I think she is gonna be top tier...she has great combos, good variations of her moves (depending on the style chosen), her x-ray is sick (see the video I posted here), plus a neat fatality! I think anyone will enjoy fighting as Cassie Cage! I just wish I could have hit the training mode with a bit more time to make up some good BnB combos along with more advanced ones.

(D'Vorah)

D'Vorah is so tricky that it's hard to predict her next move! She has some neat tricks which include a reset in one of her styles that Derek showed me. She also has the Swarm Queen variation that adds abilities such as Vortex Swarm and Wasp Grenade. she is quite mobile as well. However, I didn't use her over the four days as much as the others.

(Ferra/Torr)

I love this deadly duo! Their movement reminds me of Bane from Injustice, as they have some powerful moves and grabs that vary with each style. One of the styles can have Torr fight on his own and Ferra to watch from the sidelines. In this style, Torr has some great mix ups, like 4 24 together, or back x 24 together. I made up a sick combo while using this pair. Torr also has a great rising uppercut which makes for good anti air, is good on wakeup, and can be enhanced for follow-up combos. Sadly, he's a bit slow so I'm not sure how he will fare against a quick opponent.

(Kotal Kahn)

Kotal Kahn is powerful, especially with his totems that buff him whenever they appear on the screen. He has the ability to summon a light that heals him when he stands in it and damages the opponent. He is exciting to look at and to play as. The totems will suit the more advanced fighters out there. I didn't get alot of combos down but this guy is gonna be strong.

(Raiden)

Oh, yes...the Thunder God himself doesn't disappoint at all! His Thunder God style is all about getting in close to utilize a lot of electric blasts. In his other style, Displacer, you can teleport into and out of combos! This makes for some good zoning and getting in quick. The third style, Lord of Storms, is very zoning-heavy and based around his orbs which you can place behind, in front or above yourself to create potential traps, and activate them via a specific input. This will be for advanced players, I reckon, but this is the most exciting version of Raiden I've seen in the entire MK series!

(Scorpion)

Well, Scorpion is back and better than ever! His three styles work very well in synergy. He has some great combos from which I made a vortex! (I can hear the screams of anger already, lol) In MK:X, you can enhance not just your moves but also your throws, and you can enhance specific specials to improve some combos. He has all the trademark moves that you'd expect, but I did very much like the enhanced spear followed by R2 to send fire down the spear, stunning the opponent! Scorpion fans shouldn't be too displeased.

(Sub-Zero)

My favourite character. :) Sub-Zero plays even quicker than he did in MK9. He retains his infamous Ice Clone, but you can no longer activate it in the air...however, you do have the ability to lob it at your opponent by inputting DF1, which is much fun! He has great combos and a good start up of 2 4 2 that you can start with ji2 and finish with 1 1 2 Enhanced Slide. He looks sick, as do the rest of the characters.

What do you all think? Does the provided input please you and make you anxious to hear more? Let us know in the comments below!

- post edited by AK RM Blake

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Thanks for all the info SnakeEater! By any chance can you confirm if the inputs for command grabs are how they were in Injustice (dbf + button) again?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Awesome but how are the wake ups? Do they work the same way as MK9? Please say yes or similar!