What's new

MKX Announcements geared towards the competitive community are coming soon, says Lead Designer

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
With the release of Mortal Kombat X closing in with less than a month to go it appears there are more announcements on the way. What makes these announcements that much more intriguing is that per Lead Designer, John Edwards, these announcements are geared towards the competitive community [so, that would be us, for example].

John also discusses the difficulty of balancing the character variations, which if you didn't know already, were actually inspired by the tournament scene. Since match-ups are a huge part of competitive-play, variations of each character were born.

mkxquan3.png

Here's a part of the interview from VentureBeat.com:

GamesBeat: NetherRealm Studios’ fighting games are enjoying major support among the competitive scene. As just one example, between Mortal Kombat 2011 and Injustice, Evo [Evolution Championship Series] has officially run one of your games for the last four years straight — not including Mortal Kombat X in 2015 and Mortal Kombat 2011 as a side tournament in 2014.

Is NetherRealm Studios doing anything to help support this growth?

Edwards: As much of the design team is made up of fighting game players and fans, we are always trying to support the competitive scene in any way we can. Most of our focus is in making a game that is competitive while still being fun to play and fun to watch. That in and of itself is the most important aspect of keeping the competitive audience involved and growing.

Recently, we have also started to include systems and quality-of-life features specifically designed to help cater to the tournament scene, and we continue to do so in Mortal Kombat X. We also have some exciting announcements specifically related to Mortal Kombat X and the competitive community coming very soon, so stay tuned.
Read the full interview here!

Source: VentureBeat via EventHubs

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
*Offers announcement for competitive community*

*Next reveal is PS4 Region-Lock*
:DOGE

But seriously, hope the announcement is awesome.
Nah they rather leave that as a surprise ....

But im looking forward to see what they could be on about they talked about streaming but PS4 and i think Xbone already have that
so i wonder what it is.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Rollback netcode

FGC Ticker

Hitbox Viewer

Proper Spectator Mode

Replays with inputs

Lag Simulator

Just a bunch of hunches. >.>
Wishful thinking

I love your idea's though

its prolly got something to do with this team v team mode they mentioned awhile back

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
Rollback netcode

FGC Ticker

Hitbox Viewer

Proper Spectator Mode

Replays with inputs

Lag Simulator

Button Check on character select

Tournament mode

2/3 Ranked matches

Just a bunch of hunches. >.>
2/3 ranked matches? Too long.

SLy

Noob
Lag Simulator is a big one on my list. This should be a standard for every fighting game.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
D
So does Tekken

but then again tekken has the best practice i ever came across
DoA is pretty top notch as well, showing start up, active, and recovery frames. Letting you know if a move tracks or whether it crushes, the distance the move travels, even the critical threshold of moves. The biggest of all is bot recording. Not to mention they have 16 man tourney brackets for online lobbies

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
MKX should have a KI style Meld which showcases upcoming tournaments and displays the victors.
Tyler said in an interview he really wants to do this.

Anyways.
Lag simulation is a good idea I saw in DOA

Also an online tourney mode with a 64 man bracket that invites people and let's people join and watch is a good idea too

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Tyler said in an interview he really wants to do this.

Anyways.
Lag simulation is a good idea I saw in DOA

Also an online tourney mode with a 64 man bracket that invites people and let's people join and watch is a good idea too
64 is a lot, but I guess that goes into spectator spots as well. If MKx can do that though it'll be tight. Speaking of which, are you still using Kasumi?