What's new

MKUniverse Gamescon Ed Boon Interview: NRS entertaining 4th "bare bones" variation w/ no specials

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
With information from content creators still pouring in from their trips to GamesCom in Cologne, Germany our friend over at MKUniverse.lu got a very nice interview with Ed Boon. With this interview being over 15 minutes in length with really awesome questions we have made a list of key information throughout that we have listed below. One bit of information has never been heard before...

mkuniverse.png

Key notes:
- completey new story-line that follows Mortal Kombat 9 jumping 5, 10, 15 up to 25 years in the future
- story mode in MKX can be compared to MK9 in length
- Kotal Kahn is NOT related to Shao Kahn in any way. Kotal was ruling Outworld in a part of the story and has relationships with D'Vorah, etc
- Kano is not Lin Kuei (with how cybernetic/cyborg he is now)
- there will be no stage transitions in MKX, there will be single stages only
- stage Fatalities are likely
- @6:28 mark: NRS is entertaining a variation that has none of the features of the other variations, a bare-bones variation targeted at the pro players who "want to show off" - haven't decided yet
- tag team mode NOT likely
- New challenge tower NOT likely, however a new mode will be a replacement for the challenge tower
- New "Finish Him" graphics probably close to final
- Toasty guy returning? Boon mentions that the Toasty guy was put in to MK9 very late
- character endings will likely be the same, meaning no crazy CGI story endings due to cost
- No MKX demo news at this time, Boon states, "not that I know of"

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Last edited by a moderator:

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
So there will be a new mode replacing MK9's challenge tower, there will be no tag mode, and there's consideration to put a 4th variation that removes a character's specials altogether.

Andromeda

I am Bard
Kinda wanted tag mode but it's okay if it's not gonna return. Really didn't expect it to all because of the intros, how I made that assumption is I don't know,

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
H ekeeps saying Upcoming Months, say Weeks damn you.

3 new bits of info i picked from this

1.No Team based modes (bummer, but was to expected)

2.No challenge tower, but sounds like some form of challenge tower split into ladders

3.shit i forget the 3rd it was the most important one lol

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
When it said interview i thought it was some official press release. Watched the video and somebody just jumped pn Ed Boon in a hallway (which creates bad audio) There is No February 29th 2015.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Highlights in no order:

-No Tag
-Story about as long as MK9s
-Not following mk4-DE plots at all.
-No Tower, but something new involving towers
-Scorpion's 2nd fatal may be the one from the trailer
-Kano is not a Lin Kuei, also still mostly man.
-No transitions / multi part stages.
-Comparable cast size to MK9 + DLC.
-Guest has already been decided, stop asking.
-New Online Mode; "involves everybody".
-Same Kotal stuff, rise and fall in story, not final boss.
-No Stryker Jr.
-Forden still on music, no word on toasty
-Still with the flash / slide show endings
-New ality may not be called "-ality"

Think thats it.

IrishMantis

The only worrying thing from that, is killing my early prediction of an Online Conquest mode

reason why is he saids "And everybody is involved" makes me think its gonna be some shitty casual leaderboards

Andromeda

I am Bard
Despite it's been said various times that the final boss will be a "returning" and "fun" character... I seriously hope it's not Shinnok, Liu Kang, or Quan Chi.

Neither of them sounds fun. But I'd like to know who it is soon.... That and a little bit more info about the story. Those two are really the only two things I care about kinda knowing before I play the game. Everything else can remain a mystery for me. :p

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
seriously

no one has though to ask "Are there characters that you face in the game that are NPC? Like Khan from MK9?"

That would def. make a hell of a difference.

IrishMantis

Shinnok, Quan Chi..
I say Shinnok is a most def since he was a cliffhanger at the end of MK9 so that would piss off fans and be bad continuity.

Plus it was Quan Chi's plan all along, plus im thinking in this Game Quan will be exposed to Scorpion about killing his clan, so i'd say a fairly good chance of seen Quan.

Give NRS a chance look what did with 2 boring Raiden and Kano

Edit: sorry i completely misread that post entirely lol, yes i agree i hope they arent bosses