What's new

MKAK MK2 "arcade perfect"? HA!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I know most people, like myself, have a love/hate relationship with MKAK's version of MK2.
Hate, because it's clunkier and more delay lagged than og MK2 was.
Love, because it's the only place where you'll find a match nowdays.

Anyway I just wanted a thread to tell everyone the funny thing I noticed the other night...

When Kitana/Mileena get babalitied on MKAK, they aren't wearing their ninja masks.
I'm not aware of any other version of MK2, where they aren't wearing them.
I think it actually looks better! But still funny, coz def not "arcade perfect".

aj1701

Noob
Na, just need a version like og or MAME MK2, without any lag and we'll be all set.
MKAK is a decent version though. Better than nothing.
Excluding mame, what in your opinion is the most faithful port of mk2? Just curious, I've played a few versions but nothing really had the arcade feel.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Agreed with MKillbill on the OG PSN port. The only other drawback I can think of is that you can't change the default buttons.

Also has anyone noticed that the stage themes are cut down in MKAK? Like, the Wasteland after the initial opening cuts straight to the main melody, no interlude or anything. Other ocean handled it who ported UMK3 to the 360 and DS just fine (apart from the accelerated framerate), so what gives? :confused:

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Agreed with MKillbill on the OG PSN port. The only other drawback I can think of is that you can't change the default buttons.

Also has anyone noticed that the stage themes are cut down in MKAK? Like, the Wasteland after the initial opening cuts straight to the main melody, no interlude or anything. Other ocean handled it who ported UMK3 to the 360 and DS just fine (apart from the accelerated framerate), so what gives? :confused:

Yeah, Other Ocean did their best impersonation of the AVGN and took a diarrhea dump all over the MKAK port. There are a LOT of problems with MKAK compared to the arcade, MAME, OG, etc.
  • Songs don't play the whole way through
  • Some SFX are different
  • Button delay
  • Can't random select as 2P (this is just inexcusable)
  • Stages don't cycle all the way through online (The Portal, Kahn's Arena are unplayable.)

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Og MK2 is definitely the best port. Unfortunately the server is terrible nowdays.

Yeah on MKAK if you win the round with an uppercut or anything that gets Kahn to talk, you won't hear "Jax Wins", you'll hear "Well Done! wins".

Tim Static

Adminerator
I fucking hate that term. "arcade perfect" has been around since the 16bit days. It simple doesn't exist and is a selling point to move a product.

Unless you're playing the game on a cab or supergun running off the jamma board........it can't be arcade perfect.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I fucking hate that term. "arcade perfect" has been around since the 16bit days. It simple doesn't exist and is a selling point to move a product.

Unless you're playing the game on a cab or supergun running off the jamma board........it can't be arcade perfect.
I guess when they say "arcade perfect", it's a red flag.

The MAME version IS arcade perfect however. The version most people play has messed sound at times, but I think that's the emulator. Because I've played it on a different version of MAME without any problems whatsoever. Absolutely, that version is perfect.
I'm just not sure why we can't get that on the home consoles. The game is 20 years old, and so incredibly simple in comparison to 3D games of today. I guess lack of interest is the issue. But "if you build it, they will come!"

Reactions: nwo

aj1701

Noob
I guess when they say "arcade perfect", it's a red flag.

The MAME version IS arcade perfect however. The version most people play has messed sound at times, but I think that's the emulator. Because I've played it on a different version of MAME without any problems whatsoever. Absolutely, that version is perfect.
I'm just not sure why we can't get that on the home consoles. The game is 20 years old, and so incredibly simple in comparison to 3D games of today. I guess lack of interest is the issue. But "if you build it, they will come!"
Its because they built the arcade game to a very specific piece of hardware, and after the fact are trying to get it running on other systems. You can build a game so its more portable, but at some point you interface with the hardware and those components are almost never going to be the same between systems.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
This pretty much. Remember how the American Mega Drive (Genesis) had "high definition graphics"? LOL

Stupid question... I never have been able to do it on MKAK, sub-zero's deep crossover jk into freeze. Is it possible on arcade/mame?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Stupid question... I never have been able to do it on MKAK, sub-zero's deep crossover jk into freeze. Is it possible on arcade/mame?
That's pretty easy to do in any version of MK2. The timing is a little different on MKAK, but yeah it's not that hard.
What happens when you try?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Yeah, Other Ocean did their best impersonation of the AVGN and took a diarrhea dump all over the MKAK port. There are a LOT of problems with MKAK compared to the arcade, MAME, OG, etc.
  • Songs don't play the whole way through
  • Some SFX are different
  • Button delay
  • Can't random select as 2P (this is just inexcusable)
  • Stages don't cycle all the way through online (The Portal, Kahn's Arena are unplayable.)
Don't even get me started on the UMK3 port...

Don't even get me started on the UMK3 port...
Oh, please. start! :)

Also, I have NEVER gotten to fight smoke playing 1-player in MKAK. Happens almost every match playing 2 player local.

(yes, the 12 year old inside me still loves to spam the uppercut on the portal stage to get to fight smoke)

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Oh, please. start! :)

Also, I have NEVER gotten to fight smoke playing 1-player in MKAK. Happens almost every match playing 2 player local.

(yes, the 12 year old inside me still loves to spam the uppercut on the portal stage to get to fight smoke)
Low Audio
Button Delay
High Contrast on Sprites
SFX is fucked up in general
Resets when playing online, so unless you have a stage code you constantly play the same 3 maps

I'll agree on audio, button delay, and some SFX. But I don't see the issue with the stages...
The sprite contrast is probably just a product of the console output.

Shoot. Now I have to connect my laptop up tonight to play on MAME.