What's new

Match-up Discussion MK9 Tier List for 'Ease of use' (Noob Characters)

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
So I thought this would be a pretty cool topic to disuss. Note that just because I said "noob characters" in the title, doesn't mean if you main a certain character that you're cheap - it's all just for fun. Who are the easiest characters in-order in terms of how easy they are execution/strategy-wise? Your decision should factor in things such as (INPO):

1. Execution
2. Character Tools
3. How Broke their tools are
4. How easy they are to use

5. How cheap their tools are

Here is a list of all of every character in MK9

You don't have to do the entire cast but at least do a top and bottom 10 or 5
You can include any of the DLC except Kratos... Sry Kray-Kray

You can use an ORDERED system by dividing character into S+ etc if you want buuut... For you lazy folk out there; here's a basic template that you should/can copy for your list:

BOTTOM

Feel free to delete a few numbers if you can't think of a top and bottom 10, of course.
IF you feel it's necessary and/or are bored, you can even give a reason for your character placement(s). :)
If the thread is popular enough I'll create a community tier list based on the responses to the thread but it probably won't be relevant for a 3 or 4 year old game that's dead haha

I'll post my answer later once I've actually thought about it, but off the top of my head the first two top characters are probably Smoke and Sub-Zero

Discuss. pls

Easy
1. Kung Lao ( be random)
2. Sonya (she has free combo tokens and her down 4 is cheap but can be challenging in terms of execution from time to time)
3. Mileena (down 4 and be random)
---------------------------------------------------------
4. quan chi (rune trap)
5. Cyrax (once you learn his bnbs you get away with MURDER)
6. kitana (f21, cutter, chuck fans)
7. Johnny Cage (pressure like a madman, f3 to death but requires footsies)
8. Liu Kang (super braindead footsies and simplistic in general, but requires fundamentals)
9. Reptile (reptile is stupid, maybe he should be
10. noob saibot (no execution required, simplistic and kind of challenging to deal with)

Bottom (harder chars, somewhat in order)
Shang tsung (challenging zoning, but down 3 and pressure are easy)
Kabal (Top 2 hardest execution)
Kano (not all that hard in execution, but you need to be sound to win with)
Sektor (requires solid fundamentals)
Raiden (too truly play properly requires excellent fundamentals reactions and patience)
Sindel (challenging execution, requires good fundamentals and zoning)
Jade (challenging execution, limited but variety of tools to implement)
stryker (easy execution, but so bad you have to outsmart opponent significantly, i love whomping incompetent cyrax players with this character and BARAKA)
Skarlet (tough execution, but actually somewhat braindead in terms of safe armor and redonkulous pressure, but not as simple as kabal because her footsies are challenging)

Scott The Scot

@Peckapowa Good list! I'm honestly really surprised that Sub Zero didn't make your Easy list. All he has to do is throw out ice-clones and throw ice-balls. His corner-game is also suuuuuper easy and effective. And Smoke is braindead but really easy for execution and broken haha.

Scott The Scot

I am hella free in mk9...

I learned 30% Liu Kang combos in 5 minutes and started beating up randoms online. I would say he's pretty easy lol
Yeah I think he's probably on my list too it literally is 2,1,3>>2,1,3>>2,1,3>>2,1,3 and if you're feeling low, then b3,1,2 etc. lol

Reactions: TKB

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'd say top 5 because, I'm too lazy to do the rest, are:

1. Sonya (footsies? pffft eat this cartwheel)

2. Kenshi (footsies? pfft eat this SC)

3. Cyrax (life lead? pfft eat this 90% combo)

4. Freddy (I HAVE ALL THE OPTIONS)

5. Lao (He has an answer for everything)

Disclaimer: Sonya and Cyrax have very difficult inputs but as characters are very easy to win with. Kenshi can be free if your spacing sucks and Lao can be blown up by low block. Freddy takes it from Smoke.

The reason I put these guys in easiest to use is they all have tools for every situation and the only thing that will hold you back is your own MU ep. Except for sonya... just ex cartwheel everything and call it a day

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

I'd say top 5 because I'm too lazy to do the rest are:

1. Sonya (footsies? pffft eat this cartwheel)

2. Kenshi (footsies? pfft eat this SC)

3. Cyrax (life lead? pfft eat this 90% combo)

4. Freddy (I HAVE ALL THE OPTIONS)

5. Lao (He has an answer for everything)
I agree with your Kenshi and Sonya... But Can everyone do 90%? Is it really easy to do ever time? Execution?

Scott The Scot

Everyone? No, just Cyrax. Which is the whole point of him being #3 on noob friendly tier list.
lol that is poor wording from me. What I really meant was can every player do 90% with Cyrax? I haven't actually witnessed that before apart from some combo-artist videos.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Easy
1. Kung Lao ( be random)
2. Sonya (she has free combo tokens and her down 4 is cheap but can be challenging in terms of execution from time to time)
3. Mileena (down 4 and be random)
---------------------------------------------------------
4. quan chi (rune trap)
5. Cyrax (once you learn his bnbs you get away with MURDER)
6. kitana (f21, cutter, chuck fans)
7. Johnny Cage (pressure like a madman, f3 to death but requires footsies)
8. Liu Kang (super braindead footsies and simplistic in general, but requires fundamentals)
9. Reptile (reptile is stupid, maybe he should be
10. noob saibot (no execution required, simplistic and kind of challenging to deal with)

Bottom (harder chars, somewhat in order)
Shang tsung (challenging zoning, but down 3 and pressure are easy)
Kabal (Top 2 hardest execution)
Kano (not all that hard in execution, but you need to be sound to win with)
Sektor (requires solid fundamentals)
Raiden (too truly play properly requires excellent fundamentals reactions and patience)
Sindel (challenging execution, requires good fundamentals and zoning)
Jade (challenging execution, limited but variety of tools to implement)
stryker (easy execution, but so bad you have to outsmart opponent significantly, i love whomping incompetent cyrax players with this character and BARAKA)
Skarlet (tough execution, but actually somewhat braindead in terms of safe armor and redonkulous pressure, but not as simple as kabal because her footsies are challenging)
As a certified scrub and chronic noob, I don't agree with your list at all.

Kung Lao -- block spin and duck teleport and you win.
Sonya -- noobs cannot do Sonya pressure. d4~cartwheel is usually what you'll see from noob Sonyas.
Mileena -- again, just block. Random roll can be infuriating but if you stay full screen they're usually more than happy to hang themselves with roll or tele.
Quan Chi -- rune traps aren't easy for noobs and I'd argue that b31+2, random trance, and EX telestomp is what you'll see most scrub Quans do. Interrupt b31+2 or punish any of his specials once and watch them crumble.
Cyrax -- Eh, I don't think his combos are that easy. Plus, Cyrax noobs that rely on the damage hardly ever know how to pressure correctly or get in safely.
Kitana -- Gotta agree here.
Johnny Cage -- He should be much higher; I'd probably have him at number 1. F3 pressure is stupid simple and random EX nutpunch is viable for noobs. Flipkick's relative safety and the armor on EX shadow kick also make him great for an easy way to get out of zoning.
Kang -- higher imo. b312 is basically the only string you need to get something going lol.
Reptile -- hmm tough to say. I guess it depends on if you're online or offline, since dash into dash is a frametrap online lol. On the other hand, Reptile isn't really an autowin against a lot of characters.
Noob Saibot -- agree with his placement. His full screen zoning is really scrubby and upshoulder can be annoying. Most noob Noobs will try a lot of random tele, though, which makes it harder for scrubs to win with him.

Online I'd put Kano much higher due to upball bullshit.

Baraka up there due to EX charge.

I see a lot of scrubs try to use Stryker for the counterzoning ability (EX roll toss for days), so that might work for some scrubs.

ERMAC should definitely be up there with force push and force lift. I swear I eat 50% from random Ermacs just because I legitimately don't expect anyone to be stupid enough to do d1~lift lol. Also the full screen zoning vs. tele guessing game is kinda silly but noobs try it a lot.

Scorpion might be the ultimate noob friendly character since 111 is so broken online lol.

Scrubs use Sheeva a lot since there are still quite a few people that can't punish telestomp and aren't used to her armor.

Nightwolf is very noob friendly due to EX shoulder and again people not knowing to duck punish it lol.

Sindel I would put wayyyy higher than you have because I have won many scrub matches on fullscreen fireballs alone.

Raiden I would put much higher since scrubs get away with shit like 334~superman, 334~tele, b3 throw, b312~shocker, 334~shocker or will just start teleing and throwing. And in the corner who hasn't raged at endless 334 pressure that should be punishable and/or stuffable but always seems to hit you anyway lmao.

Since a lot of noob friendly characters tend to have armored forward advancing specials, I might even put Jax relatively high. f4 and armored overhead are also noob friendly, and of course the zoning ability helps, too.

As a certified scrub and chronic noob, I don't agree with your list at all.

Kung Lao -- block spin and duck teleport and you win.
Sonya -- noobs cannot do Sonya pressure. d4~cartwheel is usually what you'll see from noob Sonyas.
Mileena -- again, just block. Random roll can be infuriating but if you stay full screen they're usually more than happy to hang themselves with roll or tele.
Quan Chi -- rune traps aren't easy for noobs and I'd argue that b31+2, random trance, and EX telestomp is what you'll see most scrub Quans do. Interrupt b31+2 or punish any of his specials once and watch them crumble.
Cyrax -- Eh, I don't think his combos are that easy. Plus, Cyrax noobs that rely on the damage hardly ever know how to pressure correctly or get in safely.
Kitana -- Gotta agree here.
Johnny Cage -- He should be much higher; I'd probably have him at number 1. F3 pressure is stupid simple and random EX nutpunch is viable for noobs. Flipkick's relative safety and the armor on EX shadow kick also make him great for an easy way to get out of zoning.
Kang -- higher imo. b312 is basically the only string you need to get something going lol.
Reptile -- hmm tough to say. I guess it depends on if you're online or offline, since dash into dash is a frametrap online lol. On the other hand, Reptile isn't really an autowin against a lot of characters.
Noob Saibot -- agree with his placement. His full screen zoning is really scrubby and upshoulder can be annoying. Most noob Noobs will try a lot of random tele, though, which makes it harder for scrubs to win with him.

Online I'd put Kano much higher due to upball bullshit.

Baraka up there due to EX charge.

I see a lot of scrubs try to use Stryker for the counterzoning ability (EX roll toss for days), so that might work for some scrubs.

ERMAC should definitely be up there with force push and force lift. I swear I eat 50% from random Ermacs just because I legitimately don't expect anyone to be stupid enough to do d1~lift lol. Also the full screen zoning vs. tele guessing game is kinda silly but noobs try it a lot.

Scorpion might be the ultimate noob friendly character since 111 is so broken online lol.

Scrubs use Sheeva a lot since there are still quite a few people that can't punish telestomp and aren't used to her armor.

Nightwolf is very noob friendly due to EX shoulder and again people not knowing to duck punish it lol.

Sindel I would put wayyyy higher than you have because I have won many scrub matches on fullscreen fireballs alone.

Raiden I would put much higher since scrubs get away with shit like 334~superman, 334~tele, b3 throw, b312~shocker, 334~shocker or will just start teleing and throwing. And in the corner who hasn't raged at endless 334 pressure that should be punishable and/or stuffable but always seems to hit you anyway lmao.

Since a lot of noob friendly characters tend to have armored forward advancing specials, I might even put Jax relatively high. f4 and armored overhead are also noob friendly, and of course the zoning ability helps, too.

I think we are referring to varying degrees of noob. mine is higher level i guess so it's not really noob. raiden is super scrubby