What's new

Mk9 online character tier list

IROC

WP IROC
Oh wow, just when i gave up explaining this to certain players, sounding like all i had was a bag of excuses, i find this thread. This just gave me hope that i wasnt crazy lol. Some of these points were spot on!! Actually most.

There are two types of online tier lists:

1) The tier list where the players are used to offline playing: This tier affect a player's execution & timing (for punishes, combos etc). In this tier characters like Kabal and Skarlet will obviously drop. (This tier list should also include what 2nd list below includes).

2) The tier list where the players are used to online playing (i.e their execution and timing are good). This tier takes into account mostly what tools of a character are boosted (i.e reaction/punish not possible due to lag), but completely ignores the "execution being harder" thing, poke out timing etc.

My online tier list (2nd type only):

S+: Kabal, Freddy
S: Kung Lao, Sonya, Cyrax, Reptile, Cage, Skarlet, Kenshi
A+: Ermac, Kitana, Liu Kang, Smoke, Raiden
A: Sektor, Noob, Mileena, Jax, Shang, Scorpion, Rain
B: Sindel, SZ, Baraka, Quan chi, Kano
C: Nightwolf, Stryker, CSZ
D: Jade
F: Sheeva

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I think kabal is even better online sometimes. When one player is doing all those ndc inputs it actually creates latency kinda like how mashing can cause a dropped connection. Lao can push this as well with all his fast multi-hit strings. It gets really hard to poke out.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Also Reptiles dash is much easier to punish when he does it up close. Reptiles online will often just do another elbow dash if you block the first one, so i just punish their second dash.

Also cyrax's net is probably the dumbest projectile in the game online or off.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
S+: Kabal, Freddy
S: Kung Lao, Sonya, Cyrax, Reptile, Cage, Skarlet, Kenshi
A+: Ermac, Kitana, Liu Kang, Smoke, Raiden
A: Sektor, Noob, Mileena, Jax, Shang, Scorpion, Rain
B: Sindel, SZ, Baraka, Quan chi, Kano
C: Nightwolf, Stryker, CSZ
D: Jade
F: Sheeva
Eh. Jax can't be on Scorpion's level. Don't see how Ermac is above him, either. Quan Chi is much tougher online.

Eh. Jax can't be on Scorpion's level. Don't see how Ermac is above him, either. Quan Chi is much tougher online.
Scorpion's pressure with 111 is godlike online, also his f3 can be unreactable. Also d1 boost (mostly d1 to db4), and extele safe(r).

Ermac can abuse bf1 and get away with it a lot online, and has also has good pressure with 3,1,2 (or is it 3,2,1?) that doesn't offline. And lets not forget that his few negative frames on d3 does not really matter online.

I moved QC from D (offline) to B, how much tougher you think he is online? I mean, he still sucks just not as much.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I am listing in hardest because these characters gets away with murder online and in general aggressive jumping, crossups, counterpokes, anti-airs, ignore plus strings etc

Reptile, Mileena, Kung Lao, Cyrax
Noob, Kano, Kitana, Raiden, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax
Freddy, Ermac, Kabal, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Baraka
Sindel, Smoke
Sheeva (only on new players)

Reptile is all Elbow Dash, EX Elbow Dash, D4, Forceballs, Acid Spit, D4~Acid Hand
Mileena is flowchart Telekicks, jumping, D4 mashing, wake ups, Rolls, Throws
Kung Lao in one word Bird Lao
Cyrax Teleport is safe online, Nets hard to avoid, Bombs explosions, safe AA Grab, Command Grab, D4, Buzz Saw
Noob zoning and Upshadow
Kano's Upball and X-Ray
Kitana's D1, Cutter, Ass Away everywhere, Jump Kick~Fan, iAF, Throw and F21
Raiden Teleport in general
Liu Kang iAFB and blockstrings rinse and repeat
Johnny Cage F3
Sonya D4~MS and D4~Cartwheel, safe Dive Kick, fast projectile, EX Cartwheel
Jax Dash Punch, armor everywhere, fast projectile and F41 if large hitbox
Freddy's zoning
Ermac's Push and projectile
Kabal's Groundsaw and iAGB
Scorpion's button mashing noob friendly mode such as 111 Spear, 111 Hellfire, D4~Leg Takedown, random EX Teleports
Sub-Zero D4~Ice Clones and Slide
Baraka D4, F4, Spin, Blade Charge and annoying projectile online
Sindel Fireballs and Step Up wake up
Smoke as in throws Smoke Bomb repeat until opponent randomly falls into one
Sheeva just Teleport Stomp in all directions on new players and AA Grab them when they jump forward :D

I would put Reptile, Mileena and Kung Lao the worst because they can abuse a bad online connection the most rage inducing way like no other

Element_

The First Element
I am listing in hardest because these characters gets away with murder online and in general aggressive jumping, crossups, counterpokes, anti-airs, ignore plus strings etc

Reptile, Mileena, Kung Lao, Cyrax
Noob, Kano, Kitana, Raiden, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax
Freddy, Ermac, Kabal, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Baraka
Sindel, Smoke
Sheeva (only on new players)

Reptile is all Elbow Dash, EX Elbow Dash, D4, Forceballs, Acid Spit, D4~Acid Hand
Mileena is flowchart Telekicks, jumping, D4 mashing, wake ups, Rolls, Throws
Kung Lao in one word Bird Lao
Cyrax Teleport is safe online, Nets hard to avoid, Bombs explosions, safe AA Grab, Command Grab, D4, Buzz Saw
Noob zoning and Upshadow
Kano's Upball and X-Ray
Kitana's D1, Cutter, Ass Away everywhere, Jump Kick~Fan, iAF, Throw and F21
Raiden Teleport in general
Liu Kang iAFB and blockstrings rinse and repeat
Johnny Cage F3
Sonya D4~MS and D4~Cartwheel, safe Dive Kick, fast projectile, EX Cartwheel
Jax Dash Punch, armor everywhere, fast projectile and F41 if large hitbox
Freddy's zoning
Ermac's Push and projectile
Kabal's Groundsaw and iAGB
Scorpion's button mashing noob friendly mode such as 111 Spear, 111 Hellfire, D4~Leg Takedown, random EX Teleports
Sub-Zero D4~Ice Clones and Slide
Baraka D4, F4, Spin, Blade Charge and annoying projectile online
Sindel Fireballs and Step Up wake up
Smoke as in throws Smoke Bomb repeat until opponent randomly falls into one
Sheeva just Teleport Stomp in all directions on new players and AA Grab them when they jump forward :D

I would put Reptile, Mileena and Kung Lao the worst because they can abuse a bad online connection the most rage inducing way like no other
That's quite a lot of stuff ! Out of all of that my 2 main characters ( Sektor & Shang ) Weren't mentioned ! But i will say a few things on what i think i have got away with online with them.
Sektor's EX teleport is usually pretty much safe online , His 1,2 and F2 seem to be not 0 on block like it should be..possibly around +6 most times.
Shang's B1,2,1 is something like -9 on block but i lost count of how many times i'v been safe..even against good opposition.
And yeah KL, Mileena JC & Kano get away with the most i think online
Reptile's dash hasn't really bothered me as a Sektor main because of Flamethrower..Allthough i understand how safe and annoying it can be online.

Last edited:

The-Bizzle

You alright mate ?
He said "My online tier list". So actually its his experience. No facts. I almost agree with him that online scorpions ( I repeat... : "Online scorpions !" ) are on Jax's level. Gimmicks these days.... :/.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Sektor and Kenshi get gimped tenfold online. I don't think I've ever properly landed a B21,B34 follow up after a TU.

Also, I'm looking at some of these strings/normals being listed and in all honesty, that says more about a lack of understanding of frames per second in fighting games than online latency. Something being -13 means they're in recovery frames for just under 1/5th of a second, which still isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't magically make moves with 12 frame startup or less unblockable.

Last edited:

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Something being -13 means they're in recovery frames for just under 1/5th of a second, which still isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't magically make moves with 12 frame startup or less unblockable.
Well figuring I full combo punish smoke bombs (-9) with Cages S1 (8 frames) offline it is rage inducing to block a reptile dash and eat a dash online.

Nobody is saying that moves magically have less recovery but the latency between move activation, lag, and ping will shave valuable frames off of the time I have to precieve and punish. This is why jumping online in MK9 is such a problem.

Offline if you jump at my Kenshi or Cage I will AA you 100% of the time. Online it is a crap shoot... offline I will anti crossover d1 with Cage 90% of the time, online it is about 40%.

Also Kenshi is not gimped online. He has nothing that is really effected by lag. The worst he suffers is you have to switxh your AA from 2,1~RK to a naked SC and you cant anti crossover d1 but instead must just reverse input an EX-RK, more damage but have to burn a bar

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Well figuring I full combo punish smoke bombs (-9) with Cages S1 (8 frames) offline it is rage inducing to block a reptile dash and eat a dash online.

Nobody is saying that moves magically have less recovery but the latency between move activation, lag, and ping will shave valuable frames off of the time I have to precieve and punish. This is why jumping online in MK9 is such a problem.

Offline if you jump at my Kenshi or Cage I will AA you 100% of the time. Online it is a crap shoot... offline I will anti crossover d1 with Cage 90% of the time, online it is about 40%.

Also Kenshi is not gimped online. He has nothing that is really effected by lag. The worst he suffers is you have to switxh your AA from 2,1~RK to a naked SC and you cant anti crossover d1 but instead must just reverse input an EX-RK, more damage but have to burn a bar
Okay, well, i used to play offline regularly with a Reptile main, and I can vouch that it's still not easy to punish a blocked dash if you wasn't looking for it. A lot of these guys probably never have played offlin, not that I'm saying they're wrong for that, some have better resources than others, but quite frankly, they aren't in a position to claim how good/practical said moves are offline in the first place.

The problem with Kenshi online is that he feels so... weighted, lol. Even in matchups where he normally has a significant advantage like Kitana, you still need a good grasp of her spacing tools to do shit on reaction, and you're instead forced to do things preemptively, which is a big difference between keeping her from getting anything going or eating anywhere between 40-50%.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
These characters are broken online (and one is broken offline lol) : Mileena, Reptile, Raiden and Kenshi (I was really tempted to add Kung Lao and Noob too but I resisted).. Everyone else definitely has their own bs, but these are the only characters that can literally lock you down holding block for the entire match. I would also say that these are the mains that most commonly get blown the funk up offline. I mained Reptile btw, so I apologize dearly haha :joker:

Now lets all join hands and pray to God that MKX has decent online servers! PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
These characters are broken online (and one is broken offline lol) : Mileena, Reptile, Raiden and Kenshi (I was really tempted to add Kung Lao and Noob too but I resisted).. Everyone else definitely has their own bs, but these are the only characters that can literally lock you down holding block for the entire match. I would also say that these are the mains that most commonly get blown the funk up offline. I mained Reptile btw, so I apologize dearly haha :joker:

Now lets all join hands and pray to God that MKX has decent online servers! PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How the hell does Kenshi get blown up offline and lock someone down online? Sounds like you just don't know the MU

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Lao is the supreme overlord of online play

Reptile can be pretty godlike if they aren't too predictable

Noob gets pretty good

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
How the hell does Kenshi get blown up offline and lock someone down online? Sounds like you just don't know the MU
I mean, generally, PEOPLE that main kenshi get blown up off line.. Not the character buddy. And the reason I think he's even better online is because his zoning tools, with all of that bs armor, in particular his push, are too strong. Kenshi becomes aquaman online. You can play defensively and he'll never lose