What's new

MK9 has rejuvenated itself with the Toasty boost discoveries

coolwhip

Noob
People have seen all the Kabal's, Kenshi's, Freddy's matchups and they are now boring to sit through and watch them now.
This applies to any fighting game that's been out there for over a year. Repetition doesn't make them boring. In fact, it's much more fun to watch people play against Kabal now as players are always getting better and evolving, and learning how to deal with the match-up.

This applies to any fighting game that's been out there for over a year. Repetition doesn't make them boring. In fact, it's much more fun to watch people play against Kabal now as players are always getting better and evolving, and learning how to deal with the match-up.
While that may be true, people are sick of people winning tournaments with the same characters. Again repition is not fun if you don't mix it up once and awhile. TylerLantern is the only guy I know who can win a tournament without using the dreaded Kabal. It's not always about who's better or anything based on tier lsits or anytthing, its about what draws in the attention to the crowd. What sounds better on paper: Reptile vs Sonya or Kabal vs Kung Lao?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
While that may be true, people are sick of people winning tournaments with the same characters. Again repition is not fun if you don't mix it up once and awhile. TylerLantern is the only guy I know who can win a tournament without using the dreaded Kabal. It's not always about who's better or anything based on tier lsits or anytthing, its about what draws in the attention to the crowd. What sounds better on paper: Reptile vs Sonya or Kabal vs Kung Lao?
I can't tell if you are a troll or have never watched an MK tournament in your entire life.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
If it happened more often it would be more hype. It's just too random. But whenever it happens for the first time, it will be hype.

As a combo player, it gives me reason to play the game more, but without a modded PS3 there's no sense in doing it.

All i wanna do is Kenshi's Toasty Combo, and ill be happy. At least his i can land every 5-10 minutes consistently and i know when his will come out.. Just depends on the stage (really, it does). It's all about where Dan Forden is hiding.
that's awesome are you really gonna figure out how it works?

TylerLantern

POWER OF FEAR
It seems people who do not play it as much anymore are the people calling the game dead. I play this game everyday, and it is far from dead in my eyes. I honestly do not see a time ahead of me that I will not play this game as much...Maybe when Injustice drops? Who knows, but I will still play MK9, just like I still play MKvsDC.

To be honest, I love stuff like this Toasty Boost thing. I think this game holds many secrets within it, like the Toasty Boost. What is strange to me is that Babalities were found SOOOO fast with no inputs listed and no one knowing about it, but the Toasty Boost took this long to discover. I remember, I got a Toasty Boost in the MK9 demo, but never realized it was certain inputs that made it work. Anyway, I really think this game has more secrets. NRS really hinted at stuff before the game was released, saying some things probably would not be discovered for years.

coolwhip

Noob
It's not TYM if there wasn't at least one "when is MK9 going to die/MK9 is already dead" thread. With all due respect to THTB, but finding the inputs for the toasty boost is the only thing keeping this game alive? Not the 90 players attending MLG?

What does keep tournaments interesting to watch is seeing somebody not named Kabal/Kenshi/Kung Lao/Sonya/Freddy be winning against any of the aforementioned characters!

Nah, it never dies, just like the earlier mk games, still fun to play. FUN! that's the key, not gimmicks, not winning or losing, not money, mlg, evo, rivalries, secrets and hidden codes. the reason we play is because we have fun doing so. STB Espio reminded me of that, Check and TONY-T are looking for toasty boosts because it's nifty and fun to discover new things in the game. after all the trolling and shit talking is out of the way ask Tom Brady, REO, Pig Of The Hut, anyone, did you have fun playing this game? i 100% guarantee the answer will be yes. You can ask me, i've been pissed off at the game for many reasons, but that was part of the fun. figuring out what accidental or even uninetntional inputs will screw me over or save me, or sometimes wont affect anything at all, that's fun.
you know what a really love? the community. from local stuff like GGA, VSM, ATL, Coco, EGP, KH, etc, to clans to streams, to forums, to the people, this community is really cool and really unique. where else do i tune into a stream on tuesdays run by 2 new yorkers, jamessmk, DarKNaTaS, and then check my page to see that an Irish dude (@1man3letters) is helping me with my game based on film from a match at a local tournament that had like 5 guys, but these guys also help each other learn and grow to get better and perhaps beat other people, etc. I know as a player i wouldnt be where i am if i hadnt gone to my first offline casuals with BigMilk and Midnight63 (formerly kevo8360 or something... cant remember the exact numbers), and then a month later to my first tournament, and then to HOG that one time and had brady tell me that my lao is all wrong and how to fix him (sorry brady, still cant hit most of those BnBs, but my pressure has gotten a lot better and my spacing game has improved). and now as MLG Dallas stands on the horizon i know im an underdog and it feels really good. noone expects anything from DJ L Toro, but i swear win or lose, i'm coming out strong and im going to be having a blast playing the game (series) that got me into fighters. these people and this approach to life is freaking awesome and i wouldnt give it up for anything. That is what keeps this game alive.

Note: there are so many more people that i wanted to tag, but i cant because this would be too long then, but i want everyone to know that you are not forgotten.

The only thing that is going to kill MK9 is people talking gloom and doom.

If you like MK9, keep on playing and stop caring what other people think.

Dead game die if a community stops supporting, not because of how stale the game is.

Pretty much what DJ L Toro said.

For me, it's one final sendoff for this game. I've been talking a lot about how i was done after one last video (not released yet). So instead of just leaving, i wanted to do one last thing for the community.

And it has been a blessing, and pretty much what DJ L Toro said. It is what i wish things were like everyday.

So to answer your question, yes it has rejuvenated MK9 greatly. There will always be people out there that will want to make it feel like nothing, but the countless hours and heart and dedication spent finding these Toasty Boosts, and the community working together in such a positive manner will always overshadow the drama and the people who dwell on it.

As a final sendoff, thanks for all the support. All these years. I hope my efforts are not in vain.

Later.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's not TYM if there wasn't at least one "when is MK9 going to die/MK9 is already dead" thread. With all due respect to THTB, but finding the inputs for the toasty boost is the only thing keeping this game alive? Not the 90 players attending MLG?
In which some of the players are pretty much dropping the game after this particular tournament.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I don't understand how just because some people aren't really playing the game anymore those same people can declare that it is dead. It might not be a headlining game anymore due to the period of time from release and the impending release of Injustice, but I think that if Injustice is what we think it will be, it will keep MK alive and help to draw better than average numbers at grass root/major events.

coolwhip

Noob
In which some of the players are pretty much dropping the game after this particular tournament.
Like we've never heard that before. I'm not being delusional about MK9. It more than likely won't be at EVO next year, or even MLG. But NEC is looking hype with many of the top players going there, and when Injustice comes out, many players are going to register for both games. The talk of the death of MK9 has been going on for a while now. I guess if people keep on saying it, at one point their predictions are bound to come true, but that doesn't make them any less premature for the time being.

PS: LBSH, how many truly top players are dropping the game after MLG?

"i wont be playing after mlg dallas".... wow.. there is no reason to stop competing. the game isnt a dead game, it only dies when we become a dead community. if you guys drop this game, then you prove EVERY hater right with their "people only played MK for the money, if there was no money no one would touch the game". now they can say "as soon as the BIG money dried up, everyone quit".

so we go from the best community to the doa community after MLG?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

So what?

As we go on the quantity of play will go down. The quality won't. The top players that remain will continue to level up. The ones that move on WILL be replaced. The mid level players of today will level up.

The worst case scenario for this game is we still have like 30 man majors where myself, Pig, REO and the rest of the hardest of the hardcore continue to have hype matches. I can live with that.

People need to stop projecting their lack of motivation or burnt out feelings onto the rest of the community.

coolwhip

Noob
So what?

As we go on the quantity of play will go down. The quality won't. The top players that remain will continue to level up. The ones that move on WILL be replaced. The mid level players of today will level up.

The worst case scenario for this game is we still have like 30 man majors where myself, Pig, REO and the rest of the hardest of the hardcore continue to have hype matches. I can live with that.

People need to stop projecting their lack of motivation or burnt out feelings onto the rest of the community.
God I love you.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's the truth bruh. I play the shit out of this game because quite frankly, it's the most entertaining fighter out there. If I get hit by a 100% Cyrax reset, the only recourse is to smile. It's also filled with the best people. Hence why, I don't want to piss on anyone parades if they like other fighters. Different strokes for different folks heh.

Half the people who shit on this game never leave their living room. Yea, I'd be pissy too if my MK experience consisted of trying to win a KOTH and getting bodied by MKF30 betwixt his cyber pimping sessions. :p

It's a little disheartening to see this game get shat on time and time again by people who go to a fan site on a daily basis. Props to all who love and defend it.
I'm a pimp? lol

But hey you'll never find me bash it, live with MK, die with MK. My motto ;)

Regardless of this random scenario, I'll still play it regardless.