What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
ded_, post something here. Tier list or something. Remember though, Sonya>Cage :D

ded

Elder God
lol i guess more interest into mk1 will come after eventually vid of it. its a forgotten game for now. mk1 has a tons of holes most of them in the blocking system. anyway:

1. Sonya
2. Cage
3. Liu Kang
4. Kano
5. Raiden
6. Sub-Zero
7. Scorpion

dreemernj

Ambassador
Scorpion. Yet another example of how well characters can do on gimmick alone. He should open a school. Triple H can be a professor.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
ded_ personally feels that Cage is #1, but I don't think he's had the same level of competition as there was when the game was still being played. The top MK1 players seem to feel that Sonya's #1.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I don't believe that Kano is that low.

His JK is very hard to counter and he plays almost exactly like Cage, but his d+kick does MAJOR damage.

I'd say Sonya, Cage, Kano, Liu, Raiden, Sub, Scorp.

ded

Elder God
its easy punishable even from the ninjas. the block system is crappy:
kano jk - male ninja duck block canceled with uppercut while kano falls from the jk animation

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've heard Kano placed 3rd before as well. At this point 7 characters...you could label cards 1-7 and drop them, and randomly get the right order many times within 100 tries.

So why is Sonya #1?
Is it true that her Leg Grab is unblockable at a certain distance?
Is it because her footsweeper can not be punished?
Or are there any other reasons for that?

And why is Cage #2?
Ive only heard that his jump punch is pretty good but what makes him so good?

I want a detailed Tier List please :D

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I am not an expert at MK1, but apparently Sonya's sweep is unpunishable. I have heard people counter this argument with crap like "You can harpoon or freeze with perfect timing" but in general Sub and Scorp don't stand a chance against her regardless. There is something with her leg grab that is either an inf, or semi inf, perhaps similar to sub's refreeze after throws or something. Other people will be able to explain it better.

ded

Elder God
After the leg grab from almost close distance the opponent cant block, that means that you can get leg grab - unblockable sweep or ofcourse another leg grab. The leg grab is perfect punisher for almost all moves so technicaly you need on leg grab to win. Her leg grab inf for some reason can be stoped by Kano sometimes that doesnt make him better.

The sweep she has is a very fast with huge hitting area. Few moves can counter the sweep if its blocked like Sub's slide, few ducking kicks and etc but its not a huge advantage anyway.

Her duck block pose is very low to the ground and few characters cant jabs her like ninjas. She has good for "on top" hitting jk, nice jump punch, and good duck kick. Wave Punch is useful for anti air and for relataion against torpedo for example.

But anyway the leg grab inf is what make her best. I dont have much time now but i can write more stuff for her and another characters and why they are ranked like this, if there is of course an interest.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Unfortunately for me it all started with MK1 for Genesis. That nearly cost me a lot of MK related enjoyment. Thankfully I later rented MK2 for SNES and all was right with the world again.

It's still really interesting to see what created advantages in the game. The 2D MK games really feel like they are built off of each other, so a lot of what exists in MK1 was there to an extent in the later ones. It's the basis of the MK games I love.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
ded_ said:
its easy punishable even from the ninjas. the block system is crappy:
kano jk - male ninja duck block canceled with uppercut while kano falls from the jk animation
But the same holds true for all characters. If you use Kano's JK from outside of sweep, it is almost impossible to counter.

Cage's Shadow Kick is near as fast as Kabal's Spin as it is the ultimate move to counter with in the uber-turlte game that is MK1. But you can do the exact same thing with Kano only his duck kick takes off buckets of life.

ded

Elder God
not all jump kicks can be countered like that (raiden, sonya, liu, sometimes even cage).

if you remove kano's roll without holding block, he is very slow character. huge range uppercut but slow, slow jabs and sweep. its true he has very nice duck kick but you cant trust on it only and the roll. the missed knife even from full screen can be punished.

his roll when its blocked can cause him to lost more than 50% against some characters.

raiden can always escape from the jks and liu can always counter it.

krsx

Noob
Any news on the MK1 combo vid? Is it dead in the water? In limbo? MK1 combo vid, what???
I know it's taxing to record for, and you really have to get the combos on the first attempt since there is no read out (unless you guys use health cheats) but I'm just curious as to where it stands, if it's standing at all and not hunched over holding to a cane for grim death, or something...

As for my beginings in MK, my Amiga version was a good start. The only thing I remember being different from the arcade was that the monks in the courtyard didn't clap. Reptile made many more 'before the round' appearances though.

dreemernj

Ambassador
If Amiga computers weren't marketed so badly, if they were as big a success as they should have been, computing in general would be about 3 years ahead of where it is now.

And as for the combo vids, I know ded_ has found many things that shock me about MK1. I can't wait to see something. I wish I could help but right now I am stuck with a laptop with nos pace and desktop that can't run the editting apps I need. That plus the fact that I refuse to upgrade equipment thats not too old is leading to a very unproductive situation.

I remember putting so many quarters in MK 1 and one of the characters that gave me the hardest time was none other than Sonya Blade. Back then I didn't bother to learn all the characters so I picked the "cool" ones. Like Scorpion and Subzero. I always fell victim to the Sonya leg sweep, leg grab combo. Frustrating times at the arcade.

Flash Foward Ten Years. In MK Deadly Alliance, Sonya Blade was equipped with "Steven Segal" like sticks kicked the crap out of me on numerous occasions. (no point in mentioning that but I thought it was kinda funny)

ded

Elder God
i really want to finish with mk2 and mk4/g first, hopefuly not after few years lol. after then i can slowly record combos and stuff while we are working on character guides.

believe it or not there are some neat stuff in mk1 8)

I can't wait to see an MK I video. Back in those days I was really one-dimensional when it came to that game. Always picked the same guy, did the same moves, never cared to learn others, and always lost the same.

I'd love to see that video when they day comes.