What's new

MK X. Gonna play Story mode first or Training mode?

In MKX will you play Story mode first, or go right to Training mode?

• Total voters
Hey guys. We were talking earlier tonight at GBS. I thought the majority of people when MKX comes out would go right into training mode to find their main. I was surprised at how many people were going to play story mode first. Someone (sorry can't remember who) brought up a good point. What if you have to play story mode to unlock all characters just like in mk9?

So what are you playing first? Story mode or is it right into training mode for you?

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
well when I first play the game that comes out in 8 or 9 months i'm going straight for online, gotta be at the top of ranked as fast as I can :D

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I think NRS is done with unlockable characters, based honestly upon community feedback.
Cyber-Sub-Zero is too COOL to not have from the start.
What they are going to add is some other type of rewards for story: costume items, probably.
It is pretty darned rad when story mode gives you control of a character you know how to do fun stuff with.
Maybe train with one hero character that is likely to be playable in story, then head right in to story, to avoid those spoilers, and get those rewards, and learn a lot of game and character mechanics.

coolwhip

Noob
Training mode. I like to at least have an idea about what I'm doing before playing any match. I actually tend to not play story mode until at least a couple of weeks of playing the game.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I will play through story mode first because if it's like MK9, you'll get to play through multiple characters and see how they feel.

And because it's fucking MK STORY MODE. It's guaranteed to rock tits. I don't care if I sound like a casual scrublord here, but no other fighting game puts the care into its lore like MK does and I fucking love it.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Since injustice and MK story videos were leaked before the game came out I watched those and went straight to training

If the same happens I'll do the same

Crathen

Death is my business
I usually hit up the training mode for one or two hours to get a grip of the basic mechanics with a character i aesthetically dig , learn a few combos and only then i play the story mode , wich takes 2-3 days at max , then it's back to training mode - online ( or offline vs ) , repeat.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I will grind out all characters first on the training mode, build my personal advanced gameplay strategy guide, only then i will go for the story mode.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I will play through story mode first because if it's like MK9, you'll get to play through multiple characters and see how they feel.

And because it's fucking MK STORY MODE. It's guaranteed to rock tits. I don't care if I sound like a casual scrublord here, but no other fighting game puts the care into its lore like MK does and I fucking love it.
Pretty much this haha. I get hooked on the story and I get a chance to play all the characters and see which one I will practice with more in training mode after.

The-Bizzle

You alright mate ?
I will first play training mode to understand the fundamentals of the game. Then story mode for 1 hour I think... After that I will check online and other shit !

Story Mode Because I enjoyed MK9's story and am very interested in what the follow up has to offer, I want to know the back story of the characters I play before I play them, not just because they have cool moves, call me weird but I feel more in tune and enjoy playing characters once I know their personality n back story, like I enjoyed playing regime superman because I know how badass he is and how he bodied Shazam lol. And I loved Skarlet because she was made by Shao Kahn and was made up of thousands of different warriors blood, see I wouldn't know these things if I didn't dab into arcade n story modes

Maasik

Noob
That was me that said something about potentially unlocking the full roster.

But even on top of that, I as a player like to connect with my main. Not only on play style (which of course is the big factor), but I also like to know what kind of character they are, their personality, and what they're all about.

So for me, I gotta beat story mode before I even think about getting serious and grinding the nitty-gritty.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
Definitely story mode. Im anxious to know whats taken place since the last game up till the current. And ill have a great time mashin' my way through it. After that ill hit the training wheel mode, find a main, then play in the tar pits aka Online :DOGE

The fact that I don't know who Kotal Kahn, Ferra, Torr and D'Vorah really are bugs the ever loving shit out of me, so Story Mode first. I follow the canon of MK religiously, so I'll want to absorb it all in, play through it two or three times just to see if there's small details I've missed (easter eggs, hints at future events, etc.) and then do all the single player stuff. Once I've done everything there is to do, then I'll head online.

Last edited:

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
If there is a tutorial I'll do that first. Then I'll play story mode. Afterwards I'll hit the lab and find the character that fits my play style.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the netcode is at the very least a step up from Injustice. If it's the same....it's gonna be a blow up because that is unexceptable.