What's new

MK for DOS

dreemernj

Ambassador
Anybody try it?

It's been so long I decided to go back and try it out and was shocked at how much better it was than I remembered. It's responsive. The graphics are good. Although it feels like there's a choppiness to how the characters are located on screen when they switch between states.

I did notice that it looks like containments aren't free after throws in it.

Overall, pretty nice. Has anybody else really dove into this and taken a deep look at it's mechanics?

ded

Elder God
mk1 for pc dos is like r3.0 + check raiden's HK (it does about uppercut damage LOL)

dreemernj

Ambassador
ÐarkMoon said:
I couldn't get mk1 for dos running well, I have no idea why. MK2 for DOS ran great though and is great.
MK1 seems to be pretty damn good considering how long ago it was made. With MK2 I couldn't get past how poor the audio quality was, and the fact that they seemed to almost not try to line the graphics up. So as they are standing there, their feet move around from side to side because the frames just aren't lined up right. Almost every movement they make seems similarly rough.

and then there's MK3 for DOS which is Fan Tastic.

ded

Elder God
weird i was sure i got that when i played it, which version do you use (there are 3 overall, excluding mk1&mk2 pc disk)

dreemernj

Ambassador
dos

ÐarkMoon said:
For some reason I cannot get MK1 to run well on my computer, which makes no sense because MK2 for DOS runs fine.
DOS usually all looks the same but different games were programmed in very different ways for it. Some run in DPMI some don't and there can be issues with how they access hardware.

I run MK1 through MK3 for DOS in DosBox and it runs fantastically for me. I usually have to tweak the CPU speed of the dosbox a bit, but even a fresh install worked quite well.

Re: dos

dreemernj said:
ÐarkMoon said:
For some reason I cannot get MK1 to run well on my computer, which makes no sense because MK2 for DOS runs fine.
DOS usually all looks the same but different games were programmed in very different ways for it. Some run in DPMI some don't and there can be issues with how they access hardware.

I run MK1 through MK3 for DOS in DosBox and it runs fantastically for me. I usually have to tweak the CPU speed of the dosbox a bit, but even a fresh install worked quite well.
I was also using DosBox to run MK1 (not through mk3?). I'm not too familliar with DosBox (tweaking the speed). Though I wish to ask, if you have MK3 for PC is there any abandonware site you have found it? It is the only PC MK game I need to complete my collection :)

dreemernj

Ambassador

ÐarkMoon said:
dreemernj said:
ÐarkMoon said:

I was also using DosBox to run MK1 (not through mk3?). I'm not too familliar with DosBox (tweaking the speed). Though I wish to ask, if you have MK3 for PC is there any abandonware site you have found it? It is the only PC MK game I need to complete my collection :)
I don't know any abandonware sites for it. I believe technically such a thing would still be illegal.

And don't forget, there's MK3 for DOS and for Windows. Completely different ports (DOS is better).

As far as tweaking DosBox, you would edit the dosbox.conf. There is usually a link to dosbox.conf put in the start menu group for it. If you look through that you'll see a setting called "cycles." That's how many instructions per millisecond it tries to process. Go to high and you might mess something up. There are also buttons you can press in dosbox to increase and decrease the number of cycles to see what works right.

dreemernj said:
ÐarkMoon said:
dreemernj said:
ÐarkMoon said:

I don't know any abandonware sites for it. I believe technically such a thing would still be illegal.

And don't forget, there's MK3 for DOS and for Windows. Completely different ports (DOS is better).

As far as tweaking DosBox, you would edit the dosbox.conf. There is usually a link to dosbox.conf put in the start menu group for it. If you look through that you'll see a setting called "cycles." That's how many instructions per millisecond it tries to process. Go to high and you might mess something up. There are also buttons you can press in dosbox to increase and decrease the number of cycles to see what works right.
Yea, you can find all the MK games on Abandonware sites but MK3, Even Trilogy is 1996 and legal now. I thought anything over 10 years old was deemed legal abandonware. As long as they aren't still producing the game making money off of it. Which they aren't, we are talking MK3 not UMK3.

Thanks anyways for the tips in DOSbox, I did not know their was a dos & windows version of mk3. Gotta get em all! Kombatmon!!!

I think I have the DOS version of MK in my basement. I made my parents buy it for me when I spotted it at the Wal-Mart electronics department like 10 years ago. :shock:

back in the days when the pcs were a rare thing i've played this version in a friend of mine,damn it was enchanting to have it at home and playing it :lol: