What's new

Mix-up or Pressure?

ryublaze

Noob
Do you think it's better to go straight into your 50/50 or pressure your opponent? For example, at SCR DJT brought out his Flash and he was using trait for pressure instead of going for Flash's 50/50 into combo that could take out half health.

In Injustice, a lot of 50/50s are safe on block, so you aren't really losing anything if you go for your mix-up. Also your opponent can pushblock out of pressure, but you just made your opponent lose a bar. Pressure can be good for getting in your opponent's head though.

Maybe it's better to go for pressure in certain situations? Like during the 2nd round and you don't want your opponent to have meter, and/or you just want to do unclashable damage. Or your opponent is low on health and you don't really need the damage from the mix-up.

Ever since I heard @GGA 16 Bit say "Just go for your mix-up, this isn't MK9" I wanted to know what the community thought on this topic. Discuss.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I think bit was referring to the huge amount of chip damage you could do in MK9, and the usually small amount you get from pressure in Injustice.

Considering how safe most of them are in this game I say go for the 50/50 most of the time. I usually use pressure to put myself into better spacing or build meter.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Depends on your opponent. If they got your character in matchup experience you'll see them block pressure. Just look at Batman matchups now...lots of smart blocking under pressure now compared to where we were about 3 months ago. Just a constant Top 8 threat and people learn him. If you see them fall for your strings under pressure go for it. Otherwise, go mixups.

Its about the opponent...not the character. Read how well they react to your movement and strings and decide to pressure if they are even the least bit hesitant or gullible. They'll break under pressure easily. Otherwise, mixups. If they know the character matchup go with the mixups.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
The only time I pressure is when I'm trying to open the opponent up for the mixup. Most strings can barely even do 2% damage without a special thrown in so, to me, the pressure is nothing more than a conditioning tool to throw your opponent off then mix them up.

The Highlander

There can be only one
I honestly feel like it depends on the character and situation, Batman for example relies on huge pressure over a simple 50/50. For the Flash though? It's a risk, you get blocked and pushblocked while in trait and lose it and lose pressure plus a large part of your damage, or essentially get a vortex... I dunno but @Zyphox used it pretty damn well at winterbrawl.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
I do stagger pressure. Especially with Harley since she doesn't have a great 50/50
I do that I to force blocking mistakes... Some people don't know 33 is +8 so I would d1 but after that people will start to figure it out so I would mix it up with 33 33 and throw in a d1 some where in there

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Good question, but I'm not sure that there's a hard and fast rule. It seems completely situational and is dependant on your meter, your opponents meter, the MU, who has the lifelead, past success with 50/50's in that match, etc.

Btw, even though you're nobody/not a top player, I'm paying attention to this thread :D

ryublaze

Noob
I think it depends on your character too. If I'm Deathstroke I'm always gonna take my 50/50, and his f23 while is+9 on block, doesn't really do a lot of chip and doesn't build as much meter, and his mix-ups after f23 aren't guaranteed.

ryublaze

Noob
For Ares I do 22 pressure when I don't have sword trait and meter, and like @xWildx said, you can do pressure then throw in your mix-up, so for Ares since his standing 2 is faster than 3d2/d4 (his mix-up) and is + on block I would use 22 or 2 then sneak in a 3d2/d4.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
For Ares I do 22 pressure when I don't have sword trait and meter, and like @xWildx said, you can do pressure then throw in your mix-up, so for Ares since his standing 2 is faster than 3d2/d4 (his mix-up) and is + on block I would use 22 or 2 then sneak in a 3d2/d4.
This is precisely what I was talking about. In general, it may be fair to say that Ares is more pressure based and DS is more 50/50 based. However, there are situations where it makes sense to go for pressure with DS and mixups with Ares. Personally, I'm just trying to vortex dat ass.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
imo pressure in this game is just as deadly as mix ups. i mean can we agree superman has like no mix ups? you can block low on everything, he can't jump over you and cross you up he has to air dash to do it. you can fuzzy 22 scoop or 223. theoretically you can just pick WW and get a life lead and go into shield stance and almost never get hit, tech throws and thats it, but no superman makes yoou guess after f23 breathe on what he is going to do next, will it be another f23? a dash up f23 breathe? a jump over? we as humans lack the patience to deal with supermans Pressure. i will try this out against KDZ at the break next week to see if i can just turtle him out lol

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
It's much more complicated imo than only being about chip damage in pressure. You can use pressure to gain positional advantage, get into your opponents head, setup a more advantegous mix up, etc. You can also use your pressure to make your opponent have to guess when the mixup is coming, lessening their chance ti make an educated guess on how to block. While the stagger string pressure of mk isn't nearly as relevant in injustice, it is still there.