What's new

General/Other - Scorpion MIT's Scorpion write up from the Playstation Expo here in Las Vegas

With the Playstation Experience this past weekend, many players set out for Las Vegas to go play the latest build of Mortal Kombat X including a local high-level competitor, Malik Terry a.k.a. "MIT". MIT has put together a great write-up focused on Scorpion. From pokes to combos to setting up mind-games with the "Run Button", Mortal Kombat X sounds like it will be packing quite a blow come April 2015.

Without further ado, here's his awesome write-up! Relax. Just because there's no official news or reveals doesn't mean we can't just get excited about mechanics! ~ STORMS

scorp10banner.png

"Ok guys I got to play scorpion a bit and I would like to explain what I experienced and some interesting things I noticed. I didn't get to use inferno style but I utilized ninjutsu and hellfire variations. I shall list what comes to mind.

Pokes: We all know that back in mk9, scorpion's pokes were horrible. I tried out his d1, d3, and d4 and they all served their purpose fairly well (his d4 was the best out of all of them and it was safe on block and advantage on hit. It also had pretty good reach and it allowed him to duck under jump in hits at times because of how much it lowered his hitbox).

Teleport: His normal teleport was pretty fast, but unsafe on block as usual. His ex teleport was safe on block and launched for a full combo on hit (I noticed he can be hit out of his teleports and that his teleports were mid so you couldn't duck them like in mk9). The really interesting thing about his teleport was he has 3 different ways he can do it. He can do down, back, 3 and do it the normal way or he can do down back 3 and hold down at the same time and do an empty teleport or he can do down back 3 and hold (I think forward or back forgot which one) at the same time and he'll just tele backwards. This opens up a lot of mind games for scorpion and I'm interested in what he'll be able to do with these new teleport options he has.

Combos: His combos seemed very similar to how they were in mk9, so no worries there if you play scorpion but I had to get used to the timing of them in mkx.

Spear: The spear worked similar to how it did in mk9 and is just as unsafe too lol.

Leg Takedown: ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE lmao. It was unsafe without meter and still unsafe with meter. The only advantage it had with meter was the fact that it had armor but that was it. Unless this move changes, I highly doubt it will be that useful.

*Ninjutsu stance: He keeps his basic special moves, but he has some interesting sword attacks. I decided to embark on seeing if he had his vortex still.............. and he does #YEEAAAPPP. So he has a overhead option (forward 2) which had great reach and was double hitting and seemed safer than his mk9 overhead which was back 2. His low option was f3 with didn't have the same reach as his forward 4 in mk9 but it was safe on block if u just did it with nothing else (apparently u can use it to stuff wakeups as I stuffed subzero's slide with it when playing DJT lol). He certainly still has his mini vortex as well so that is great :).

*Hellfire stance: In this stance he has his basic special moves added with his hellfire (down back 2), fireball (down back 1), and his injustice trait looking move haha (down back 4). His hellfire worked similarly to how it did in mk9 and was just as slow or maybe slower. I couldn't manage to get down how to do the gremlins version of it, but I'll have to learn that later. I'm not too sure what his injustice trait looking move does, but I'm sure it has some use. His fireball was very interesting as I could zone with it and use the fireball cancel for mind games and even pressure so I loved that move the most out of his hellfire variation. I don't think he can vortex the same way with this style because he doesn't have his f2 overhead that he has in ninjutsu variation but I think he can still do a vortex in a different manner.
Now I just did this real quick, but if you have any questions because I may have missed something that I will gladly answer them.

P.S.: Standing normal still work as AAs and D2s were godlike. Also the run button mechanic sets up so many mind games so I can't wait to see what people find out with that."

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Last edited by a moderator:

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I was there earlier today grinding Scorp as well. He seems SO much better than in MK9 it makes me kind of giddy.

Also, I think if you spear someone twice in 1 combo with Ninjutsu, the second spear doesn't drag them to the ground like in MK9. I think it just ended the combo with Scorp uppercutting the opponent automatically. And yeah leg takedown is terrible, it's like it has spear's whiff recovery.

I was there earlier today grinding Scorp as well. He seems SO much better than in MK9 it makes me kind of giddy.

Also, I think if you spear someone twice in 1 combo with Ninjutsu, the second spear doesn't drag them to the ground like in MK9. I think it just ended the combo with Scorp uppercutting the opponent automatically. And yeah leg takedown is terrible, it's like it has spear's whiff recovery.
Interesting, I will keep that in mind.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Yeah i just let my thoughts flow haha, trust me if this was an essay or something, I would be so concise and have my words in a specified manner.
Scorps seems really good and fun to play already. Did the jumps feel floaty to you? At leats from vids they seem slow and floaty for some reason.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I didn't get a chance to try out Scorp when they had MKX here in London, but I seriously think this needs to be stressed by now...

seriously.....

seriously.....

seriously.....

seriously.....

seriously.....

What in the cold days of hell does Paulo see in Takedown that he keeps thinking to himself "well with all the bells and whistles with this move surely you deserve a full combo if you manage to block it"....?

For anyone who doesn't know, it was also unsafe in MK9 pre-patch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yep he can do it backwards or do an empty tele behind the opponent, so sick!
I've been saying since the very beggining, a lot of people are too worried about Sub-Zero, Kotal and Quan Chi, Scorpion will be hella good in this game. Nice work on noticing a 3rd teleport option bro, i didn't knew he could telebackwards (to fake out a real teleport).

Also i noticed you didn't mention the flame uppercut command normal he has on the Hellfire and Inferno variation which is replaced by the upslash on ninjutsu variation, or maybe you just forgot to mention (or is nothing that special after all?)

Anyway, i can't wait to get my hands on Hanzo this time Around it might actually be the first character i will try on when i get my release copy.

I didn't get a chance to try out Scorp when they had MKX here in London, but I seriously think this needs to be stressed by now...

seriously.....

seriously.....

seriously.....

seriously.....

seriously.....

What in the cold days of hell does Paulo see in Takedown that he keeps thinking to himself "well with all the bells and whistles with this move surely you deserve a full combo if you manage to block it"....?

For anyone who doesn't know, it was also unsafe in MK9 pre-patch.
I agree, i would like a flame up kick tbh.

I've been saying since the very beggining, a lot of people are too worried about Sub-Zero, Kotal and Quan Chi, Scorpion will be hella good in this game. Nice work on noticing a 3rd teleport option bro, i didn't knew he could telebackwards (to fake out a real teleport).

Also i noticed you didn't mention the flame uppercut command normal he has on the Hellfire and Inferno variation which is replaced by the upslash on ninjutsu variation, or maybe you just forgot to mention (or is nothing that special after all?)

Anyway, i can't wait to get my hands on Hanzo this time Around it might actually be the first character i will try on when i get my release copy.
I didnt notice he had that command, thnx for the info. Also I am excited too and that backward tele option intriguing

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I didnt notice he had that command, thnx for the info. Also I am excited too and that backward tele option intriguing
Yeah, i noticed it almost the same as the animation of the last hit of the 111 string but the pushback on block is the same, and has more reach when executed, since the jump system this time around is being ruled by a floating system we will probably not have many difficulties to handle crossovers and jump ins with most of the normals, in scorpion case, his flame uppercut can be huge too.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I agree, i would like a flame up kick tbh.
Did it seem any faster on start-up to you at least? I mean it's pretty forgettable now that he seems much safer this time around, just seems like a constant waste of motion capture though lol.

Scorps seems really good and fun to play already. Did the jumps feel floaty to you? At leats from vids they seem slow and floaty for some reason.
The jumps definitely "feel" Injustice-esque more so than MK9's, but it wouldn't suprise me if it's just aesthetic and that the properties turn out to be closer to MK9 in the final build.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I also found it really hard to get used to the absence of dash cancelling. Several times I tried dashing to continue a juggle and just slid right past the motherfucker.

It seems run cancelling will become the new dash cancel. Has anyone found out exactly how run cancelling works? Can you cancel the run immediately, as in 1-3 frames of the run startup?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I also found it really hard to get used to the absence of dash cancelling. Several times I tried dashing to continue a juggle and just slid right past the motherfucker.

It seems run cancelling will become the new dash cancel. Has anyone found out exactly how run cancelling works? Can you cancel the run immediately, as in 1-3 frames of the run startup?
@xWildx

Did it seem any faster on start-up to you at least? I mean it's pretty forgettable now that he seems much safer this time around, just seems like a constant waste of motion capture though lol.

The jumps definitely "feel" Injustice-esque more so than MK9's, but it wouldn't suprise me if it's just aesthetic and that the properties turn out to be closer to MK9 in the final build.
It seemed slower, his leg takedown is atrocious lol

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Honestly, whenever I played with it I was running a considerable distance, so I can't honestly answer how quickly you can cancel it overall, and my combos were.... lacking lol

I think comboing with normals canceled from a run is something we'll just have to get used to over time, as it's going to vary constantly depending on your distance from the opponent and the specific normal you want to use. Definitely something that'll need to be worked out in practice mode.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Honestly, whenever I played with it I was running a considerable distance, so I can't honestly answer how quickly you can cancel it overall, and my combos were.... lacking lol

I think comboing with normals canceled from a run is something we'll just have to get used to over time, as it's going to vary constantly depending on your distance from the opponent and the specific normal you want to use. Definitely something that'll need to be worked out in practice mode.
And that is a good think, it makes the game feel completely new specially when you take some time to do beautiful things with it :)

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
And that is a good think, it makes the game feel completely new specially when you take some time to do beautiful things with it :)
Yeah, I imagine the timing for run combos will be pretty tricky and definitely not something most people could get down in such a limited time frame. I sense that they may be the most hype combos in the game once they're mastered though haha