What's new

Mileena & Shang Tsung Rumoured in In-store GameStop Promo Video

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Yes they have, I don't understand how you're not getting this. The facts are right there. If they were introducing as much new stuff as possible there wouldn't be so many old characters coming back. I'm asserting this because it's true. As much new stuff as possible != 1/4 of the roster being old characters. Stuff = characters, modes, story, costumes, everything. I agree that in terms of ALL of the things in the game a lot of it is new, but it's not as much new stuff as possible..
I hear what you are saying and I am FIRMLY in the "we want MORE new characters" camp, but there is still something like 11 characters to be revealed (Not including DLC), so my hope (and honestly, my best educated guess) is that a significant percentage of those remaining will be new. I don't think it was ever realistic to expect more than half of the roster to be brand new. But, I think we have a legitimate shot at 10+ new characters, which would be pretty sweet.

Also, I imagine it's an incredibly hard thing for NRS. It's a very delicate balance between catering to the very pronounced, worldwide MK fanbase and creatively advancing the franchise to new places.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I hear what you are saying and I am FIRMLY in the "we want MORE new characters" camp, but there is still something like 11 characters to be revealed (Not including DLC), so my hope (and honestly, my best educated guess) is that a significant percentage of those remaining will be new. I don't think it was ever realistic to expect more than half of the roster to be brand new. But, I think we have a legitimate shot at 10+ new characters, which would be pretty sweet.

Also, I imagine it's an incredibly hard thing for NRS. It's a very delicate balance between catering to the very pronounced, worldwide MK fanbase and creatively advancing the franchise to new places.
Lol there's more than 11 more before DLC, you must have been listening to that misinformative website. They said there would be more new characters in this game than in any other game before which is at least 13 characters, meaning there are 9 more to be revealed, which would make up most likely just under half of the roster. It'd be super shit if there was only 1 or a couple of MK4~MKA characters in the game, there's a lot more requested characters in that span :(

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Lol there's more than 11 more before DLC, you must have been listening to that misinformative website.
I'm not sure what "misinformative" website you are referring to, but TYM is the only place I have read about MKX . . . ever. But, if there are going to be more than 24 characters before DLC . . . AWESOME . . . I'M REALLY PUMPED :)

They said there would be more new characters in this game than in any other game before which is at least 13 characters, meaning there are 9 more to be revealed, which would make up most likely just under half of the roster.
I wouldn't yet assume that we won't be getting plenty more new characters. I could easily see another 8 or 9 being revealed. It makes complete marketing sense to pump up the established MK fan-base with generic fan favorites relatively early on in the process. I still believe there will be 10+ new characters to play with.

Youphemism

I'm not sure what "misinformative" website you are referring to, but TYM is the only place I have read about MKX . . . ever. But, if there are going to be more than 24 characters before DLC . . . AWESOME . . . I'M REALLY PUMPED :)
There's a couple of "sources" out there that say there'll be 24 characters (without any evidence) and for some reason people have been listening to them, including an astoundingly disappointing number of them on here. But yes there will probably be more than 24, that seems quite little in comparison to the previous games don't you think?
I wouldn't yet assume that we won't be getting plenty more new characters. I could easily see another 8 or 9 being revealed. It makes complete marketing sense to pump up the established MK fan-base with generic fan favorites relatively early on in the process. I still believe there will be 10+ new characters to play with.
As I said, there will be 13+ new characters in total or else NRS will have flat out lied to us. That being said, there are 9 more minimum that we have yet to find out about, and they might not even reveal all of them.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
There's a couple of "sources" out there that say there'll be 24 characters (without any evidence) and for some reason people have been listening to them, including an astoundingly disappointing number of them on here. But yes there will probably be more than 24, that seems quite little in comparison to the previous games don't you think?
It's a bit small, but not prohibitively so (especially not since each character has three variations). I wouldn't be shocked either way.

As I said, there will be 13+ new characters in total or else NRS will have flat out lied to us. That being said, there are 9 more minimum that we have yet to find out about, and they might not even reveal all of them.
Precisely . . . and this is why it's very premature to be worried about there only being 4 new characters so far. It's still very early in the process. To that end, last night, just for fun, I decided to go through some of the Injustice threads on this message board that were started in late January/early February of 2013 (roughly 2.5 - 3 months before Injustice was released). It was quite illuminating, to say the least. The amount of baseless speculation that turned out to be completely and utterly false was astounding. Again, there is just so much we don't really know about this game, and in point of fact, WON'T KNOW, until mid April.

Youphemism

Precisely . . . and this is why it's very premature to be worried about there only being 4 new characters so far. It's still very early in the process. To that end, last night, just for fun, I decided to go through some of the Injustice threads on this message board that were started in late January/early February of 2013 (roughly 2.5 - 3 months before Injustice was released). It was quite illuminating, to say the least. The amount of baseless speculation that turned out to be completely and utterly false was astounding. Again, there is just so much we don't really know about this game, and in point of fact, WON'T KNOW, until mid April.
It's not the number of new characters they're concerned about, it's the number of returning MK9 characters. The fact that there's so many of them, in fact at least a third of the roster, which leaves less room for more new characters and MK4~MKA characters.

Youphemism

I guess I just expected that, to a degree.
I mean I expected MK9 characters too since there was a number of them still alive at the end of MK9, but jeez they went and even brought back two DEAD ones instead of giving more story to other fan favourite characters from MK4~MKA? That's why people were complaining. Once they reveal more new characters there'll be less of a racket :)

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I mean I expected MK9 characters too since there was a number of them still alive at the end of MK9, but jeez they went and even brought back two DEAD ones instead of giving more story to other fan favourite characters from MK4~MKA? That's why people were complaining. Once they reveal more new characters there'll be less of a racket :)
Agree. I'm definitely a tad bit surprised by the lack of MK4-MKA characters so far (Only Quan so far, right?). But, then again, it's still early. On a related note, I really want Fujin. My nigga.

Youphemism

Agree. I'm definitely a tad bit surprised by the lack of MK4-MKA characters so far (Only Quan so far, right?). But, then again, it's still early. On a related note, I really want Fujin. My nigga.
I think Quan counts as actually returning from MK9... BUT YES FUJIN NEEDS TO BE IN *Kreygasms*

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

khrome

Master of The Universe
Why hasn't anybody mentioned how Shang Tsung's transformations gonna work. How would we know if it's Variation A or B or C??

khrome

Master of The Universe
Why hasn't anybody mentioned how Shang Tsung's transformations gonna work. How would we know if it's Variation A or B or C??
Unplayable Shang Tsung as The Final Boss that can transform into different characters and be able to use all variations at the same time.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
The exact same way he did in MK9.

It'd be impossible with this tech for anyone to have one character be able to completely turn into another character completely with all the little gameplay and model details, seamlessly, and without any loading or lag or slowdown.

They solved this problem by having his transformation pool be only the character's in whatever match he's in(if he's fighting Sonya, he can only turn into Sonya, if he's fighting Sektor and Cyrax in tag he can turn into either), and as a boss he loads in with two or three random characters in his transformation pool who stay the same the entire match.

Having variations doesn't change this mechanic, if he's fighting Raiden A when he uses soul steal he'll turn into Raiden A.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Isn't that irresponsible advertising? I mean, if someone buys it because they confirm Mileena/Shang, and they are not in the game, can't he sue them? :)
True, good point. Though I would laugh I admit if someone who is a casual MK fan bought the game because they heard Shang was in then turns out not to be, lol can you imagine?