What's new

[May 24, 2014] KombatNetwork & Monster Island Tournaments: The Main Event (Somerville, NJ)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
KombatNetwork returns along with Monster Island Tournaments, Super Smash East Coast, Always Godlike and 8Way Run for the next highly competitive local/potential regional quality event. Last year we saw 110 players at YesterCades of Red Bank during the summer event for RedBankRumble, so let's see if we can match that or better this time around with the growing support for Injustice, Smash and Killer Instinct. I am looking to get the start time pushed up to something like 2PM to allow for more time for casuals. This will act as the 4th monthly in line with the Monster Island Tournaments Circuit. More info on that to come.

Where: YesterCades of Somerville, NJ
When: May 24th, 2014
Time: 2PM Casual start time until 2AM (up to 12 full hours)
Venue Fee: $15 (grants access to the venue all day, in and out, all arcade games and pinball machines, including casuals for the tournament games)

Games:

Injustice Gods Among Us - (360) - $10 Entry Fee - 3/5 all rounds of bracket. Player turnout will dictate whether it is Round Robin or a regular double elimination tournament. It is looking likely that this will be a regular double elimination.
Standard Stage and character select rules apply.
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - (360) - $10 Entry Fee - 3/5 all rounds of bracket, double elimination tournament.
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2012 - (360) - $10 Entry Fee - 2/3 double elimination tournament, Winners, Losers and Grand Finals are 3/5
Mortal Kombat (2011) - (360) - $5 Entry Fee - 2/3 double elimination tournament, Winners, Losers and Grand Finals are 3/5
Standard Stage and character select rules apply.
Killer Instinct - $5 Entry Fee - 2/3 double elimination tournament, Winners, Losers and Grand Finals are 3/5
Ultimate Mortal Kombat II: TE - Free Entry - 2/3 double elimination tournament, Winners, Losers and Grand Finals are 3/5
Winner character lock enforced.

Modified schedule without Melee:

Tournament Schedule:

2PM - 5PM
Casuals for available games.

5PM to 5:30
Finalize all Brackets It is unlikely there will be any pools for the brackets.

5:30PM
UMvC3 - Run by Kazi assisted by Chief Gief
Mortal Kombat - Run by Mikemetroid

6PM
Killer Instinct - Run by Ray Riazy

6:30PM
Injustice God Among Us - Run by Rapzilla, supported by bracket runners as they are free

7PM until finished
UMKII:TE - started by Shock, if MK hasn't gotten to top 3, finished by Mikemetroid
SSF4AE - started by Chief Gief assisted by Kazi

Payouts are 70/20/10 for at least 8 player tournaments (minimum $28/$8/$4), 70/30 ($21/$9) for 6/7 player tournaments. Winner take all for 5 players or less (maximum $25).

Large Awards for 1st place in all games, medals for 2nd and 3rd for all games.

We will try to stream top 3 or 4 for all games, but definitely top 8 for Injustice.

The train station is located here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=opera&channel=suggest&q=somerville nj train station&ie=UTF-8&ei=2SlWU-K7LJKzsATd44GgDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

YesterCades is located a few hundred feet from the platform up Division St on the right. There is a lot of parking in the area as well, and many, many places to eat.

Stream: http://8wayrun.tv

Photography by The Besteban

Setups include:
Injustice: up to 6
KI: 2
Marvel: 2
AE: 2
MK: 2
UMKIITE: 1

Last edited:

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
The hype is real.
I can't decide between this or ect, not sure I can do both.
If you have to pick one Pick ECT Probably. More so if its your first Major. But if you are on a budget and are not able to afford a major then do this. yestercades is a great place. Arcade games galore

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm still working out an issue, I might have to the change the date but I won't know for a day or two. Glad to see a nice response. Anyone deciding between this and ECT should definitely save their money and go to ECT. I specifically have this scheduled 2 weeks after Civil War and 2 weeks before ECT trying to make the most of the time. The only other option would be to run at the Somerville location in the hopes that it's in ready condition to at least bring some players in. If not, I'll work on making sure we have at least 4PM start time for casuals til about 6:30. Generally we run tournaments starting at 7 until 1AM. A lot of people hang out til 2, there's also a 24 hour diner open down the street for anyone who might miss the last train out, can chill there until the early AM train comes in if need be.

Whitefox

Noob
I'm learning more towards this at the moment. This has mk9 which ECT does not. Will get more from my time here.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm still waiting to see if that party is pushed back. If it doesn't by Friday I will push this event back one month, so two weeks after ECT. By then I can probably run it at the Somerville location which will give us more space, possibly more time, OR the expansion at Red Bank could be done which would allow us an all day event for about 14 hours or more, plus more games.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
We were unable to adjust the time slot for the party before us so this event is officially being moved to May 24th, and I will know as soon as possible whether it's in Red Bank or Somerville YesterCades. I will push for Somerville as it's a bigger space and more accessible for many players. More info to come.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
This thread has been officially updated reflecting the proper venue and address. It is now at YesterCades of Somerville which is slated to open within a week or so. The final permits were signed and the games are being moved into the building. I am happy to announce that this tournament will be called "The Main Event" and will be a collaboration of effort between KombatNetwork, Monster Island Tournaments, and YesterCades Sunday Smash bi-weeklies, along with 8Wayrun streaming the event, and 9.95 supplying awards via Crown Trophy of New Hyde Park, NY.

The main post of this thread will now be updated to reflect the correct game list.

Stealing AJ's list

Shameless Tags @R.E.O. @DarthArma @Frantastic23 @StevoSuprem0 @Icy Black Deep @Indecisive @Abbneto @Dr. Handsome @KDZ @Scoot Magee @Vito DeVito @9.95 @Ray Riazy @Mikemetroid @7L @Whitefox @BlackBryan @Grr @KingJamez12
@Zyphox @Insuperable @ClassySasquatch @REDRUM @pherleece @Cibernetico @G4S Claude VonStroke @G4S J360 @Maxter @CD jr @RG Rico Suave @Tom Brady @Dark_Rob @NY_Jailhouse @rev0lver @Jer @zaf @Edfig81 @HuskyBrown @chemist4hire @Groove Heaven @G4S KT @HGTV Soapboxfan

Last edited: