What's new

Marvel: Contest Of Champions

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
The physics on Spidey's web...it looks like he's bouncing him on a pole! C'mon son make up your mind already...is that web solid like a rod or is it a rope. You can't have it both ways!

shaowebb

Further proof that only Capcom has made proper Marvel fighting games.
Fixed ;)
If Lab Zero, or Arc System Works got a hold of Marvel it'd still be Marvel levels of insanity and good. But yeah...this game they showed is pretty bad looking.

d3v

SRK
Fixed ;)
If Lab Zero, or Arc System Works got a hold of Marvel it'd still be Marvel levels of insanity and good. But yeah...this game they showed is pretty bad looking.
I don't think Arc can do it right. They're closest attempts at Marvel style mechanics have been somewhat... limited. I can't see them doing anything that can match the 4 gods of Marvel 2.

Lab Zero maybe, but Mike will need to get over some of his reservations about stuff like 8-way airdash and such.

shaowebb

I don't think Arc can do it right. They're closest attempts at Marvel style mechanics have been somewhat... limited. I can't see them doing anything that can match the 4 gods of Marvel 2.

Lab Zero maybe, but Mike will need to get over some of his reservations about stuff like 8-way airdash and such.
Have you seen the kind of stuff in Blaz Blue? Pretty certain it'd make for an insane Marvel. And while 8 way airdash is fun its not really helpful to developers who want to make a balanced game. It leads to a LOT of Touch of Death, loop, and infinite scenarios that are unfair to the rest of the cast. Its a bitch balancing such fighters who are meant to use it without creating another scenario like MVC2 where folks wont really be viable without having at least some of team 10 more years on deck.

d3v

SRK
Have you seen the kind of stuff in Blaz Blue? Pretty certain it'd make for an insane Marvel. And while 8 way airdash is fun its not really helpful to developers who want to make a balanced game. It leads to a LOT of Touch of Death, loop, and infinite scenarios that are unfair to the rest of the cast. Its a bitch balancing such fighters who are meant to use it without creating another scenario like MVC2 where folks wont really be viable without having at least some of team 10 more years on deck.
I've seen and played BlazBlue and I can tell you, it's no Marvel.

As for 8 way airdash (and other things), that kind of free mobility is one of the things that's helped defined how Marvel plays. No other franchise has given players the same freedom of movement. On a related note, it's the freedom that always attracted the players to the Marvel games. Just look at the series' history, it's the games like XvSF, MvC2, that offer alot of freedom (and brokenness) that are highly loved and respected, and those like MvSF that tried to control this that are hated.

And regarding team selection, people forget that for all its "imbalance" with only 16 viable characters, Marvel 2 has arguably the most number of valid playstyles of any fighting game ever. Rushdown, TOD, Zoning, Lockdown/trap, runaway, etc. are all viable in the game due to the heavy team dynamic. Just because MSP and Matrix/Wong both have Storm doesn't mean they'll play the same. No, one is a pure rushdown team (MSP), while the other is a zoning/keepaway team.

shaowebb

Nearly every team ran Storm ,Sentinel, Magneto, or some combination. You can't tell me 8 way airdash and folks with fast flight canceling weren't a tier above everyone else. The only alternative cast I ever saw used were the Doom/Strider setups and the occassional Captain Commando for the Captain Corridor assist. Once in a blue moon you'd see someone return with a Spiral or Cable team, but all were dominated by the 8way airdash with flight cancels.

MVC2 was more fun than MVC3 though. Combos were smaller and assist invulnerability was different...plus no X-factor or TAC. Still...when over HALF the cast is on the wrong side of a very wide gap in viability tiers you need to look into movement and fundamental elements of play.

trufenix

bye felicia

Is your point really that MvC2 (the game Capcom put the LEAST effort into and was only accidentally balanced or successful) secures Capcom as the only "proper" marvel developer? You think Capcom in any way deliberately made the game you so praise, and could do it again somehow?