What's new

MAGMA MKX Tournament at Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (June 13-14)

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main

www.magmacon.org/
"MAGMA or Mountain Animation, Gaming, and Media Alliance is an annual convention held in Pigeon Forge, TN. Our primary focus is gaming and multi-media, but we will have something for everyone. We will have gaming tournaments, exhibitors, artists, and industry guests as well as plenty of other interactive entertainment. Come be a part of our first year in 2015."

Games include:
MKX, Ultra, Guilty Gear Xrd, Melee, Sm4sh, and Project M

$10 per entry for all games (Will go directly to game's pot for payout)
$20 dollars for weekend pass, but $15 dollars for group pass if you have 6+ people

Payouts
1st - 70%
2nd - 20%
3rd - 10%

MORTAL KOMBAT X
  • Game Version: PlayStation 4, NTSC/US
  • Double Elimination
  • Game Settings: Versus Mode, 99 Seconds, 2/3 Rounds, 2/3 Games
  • Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals will be decided over 3/5 games
POTENTIAL SCHEDULE
{Day 1}

9am-11am = Tournament Registration

12pm-2pm = GG:XRD Pools

3pm-6pm = MKX Pools

7pm-10pm = USF4 Pools

{Day 2}

10am-11am = GG:XRD Finals

12pm-2pm = MKX Finals

3pm-6pm = USF4 Finals

Links:
Registration for venue
http://www.magmacon.org/?page_id=32

Tournaments page
http://www.magmacon.org/?page_id=269

Info on registration for Tourney
http://www.magmacon.org/?page_id=333

Tournament Rules
http://www.magmacon.org/?page_id=259

The link to the facebook event is:
https://www.facebook.com/events/737782392995611/779149662192217/#

MAGMA facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009299719518&fref=ts

MAGMA stream (If possible):
http://www.twitch.tv/psyren136

MAGMA uploaded vids:
youtube.com/psyren136

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT @Psyren136 AS HE IS AFFILIATED WITH THE EVENT.

Word from me :)
I am not a spokesperson for MAGMA or affiliated with them in any way but I find this event to be an intriguing one. Taking place in the mountains of East Tennessee, there are many attractions that can keep you entertained at Pigeon Forge. I have been several times in my life for vacation with my family and it is an amazing place that I've always looked forward to going to. If you just want to take a quick weekend retreat with the family and play a tournament in between, this venue will be perfect. There is a suggested hotel, but mountain cabins are also available if you do even a small amount of research. I prefer the cabins because the ones I always went to as a kid had beautiful views of the Smokey Mountains.

Link for Pigeon Forge attractions:
http://www.mypigeonforge.com/things-to-do/attractions/

(there's everything from the amusement park, Dollywood, to miniature golf and go-karts. Whatever your interests!)

And if that's not enough for you, just approx 17 minutes away is Gatlinburg with even MORE attractions including the awesome Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys, Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Museum, Civil War memorials, and more!
Link for Gatlinburg attractions
http://www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/attractions/family-attractions.aspx

Damn, I feel like a travel agent...but I'm just really excited about the location of this tournament haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm ps3 is NOT gonna be out
It will be ps4. The page was made before the delay happened and hasn't been changed yet. That was my fault. I just notified someone to adjust it yesterday as I forgot we hadn't switched it.

I am affiliated with this so if anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them and if I can't answer I will contact the other organizer and get an answer for you guys.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
2 things I was about to post in the Knoxville private chat; 1. They have not said what time the MKX tournament starts. 2. As Pig said, it's listed for PS3. I'm wondering if they are aware if last gen has been delayed?

FinalBoss_FGC

It will be ps4. The page was made before the delay happened and hasn't been changed yet. That was my fault. I just notified someone to adjust it yesterday as I forgot we hadn't switched it.

I am affiliated with this so if anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them and if I can't answer I will contact the other organizer and get an answer for you guys.
changed and referenced you for questions. If you have any idea about what time the tournaments are meant to begin, it'd be great to know lol

changed and referenced you for questions. If you have any idea about what time the tournaments are meant to begin, it'd be great to know lol
I've been back and forth on that a lot with the other organizer. We should have a schedule posted soon. Only reason one isn't up now I'd because we had to make some adjustments so the schedule wasn't finalized.

FinalBoss_FGC

I've been back and forth on that a lot with the other organizer. We should have a schedule posted soon. Only reason one isn't up now I'd because we had to make some adjustments so the schedule wasn't finalized.
That's fine, just contact me via private message or on this post when you find out and I'll fix it in the op. I'm really excited about this! Hopefully we can make it a big deal!

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Cool thanks, is there a stream for this?

That's fine, just contact me via private message or on this post when you find out and I'll fix it in the op. I'm really excited about this! Hopefully we can make it a big deal!
Sure thing. I'm reaching out to my partner now to crunch out a finalized schedule so we can have it posted asap. I'll let you know as soon as we finish it. We are also working on a few other things for the tournament. More info on that later if it pans out.

Cool thanks, is there a stream for this?
We are hoping to have the stream up and running for the tournament, But we are still talking to the hotel about the internet connection. We aren't sure if it will be stable enough to run the stream all weekend. If we do get it sorted out then the stream will be at www.twitch.tv/psyren136

If we can't stream it then i will have as many matches as possible from each game recorded on capture card and uploaded to youtube after the event. the youtube channel will be www.youtube.com/psyren136

Bump

Update: Richard Epcar will be at MAGMA. He did the voice for Raiden in MK, The Joker in IGAU, Joker and Raiden in MK Vs DC, and more.

*EDIT*

Also i want opinions on whether variations should be locked for winners in MKX (e.g If you win the first game of a 2/3 set then going into the next game you are character locked and variation locked.). I've seen a lot of back and forth on this subject, So i will be updating our rules when a definitive community answer comes out.

FinalBoss_FGC

Bump

Update: Richard Epcar will be at MAGMA. He did the voice for Raiden in MK, The Joker in IGAU, Joker and Raiden in MK Vs DC, and more.

*EDIT*

Also i want opinions on whether variations should be locked for winners in MKX (e.g If you win the first game of a 2/3 set then going into the next game you are character locked and variation locked.). I've seen a lot of back and forth on this subject, So i will be updating our rules when a definitive community answer comes out.
Variation lock for winners

@Pig Of The Hut

If possible, you and the AK guys should come out. Support from our next door neighbors would really jump off the Tennessee and southern scenes for our game.
Would be nice to have more MK players show up. The more people that show up the bigger the prize pot gets ^.^

Variation lock for winners
This is what i figured the case would be, But i seen some people talking back and forth on the subject. I figured variation lock makes sense anyway. Otherwise the advantage of being able to switch characters is nullified to a point if the winning player just changes variations.

I'm going to set the tournament rules as variation locked and interactables ON for now. If i see competitive rules changing or the community wants a different rule set then i'll adjust our tournament accordingly.

i should be there i have to double check with work but i hope bring a car load
kewlkewl. hope u can make it out. its gonna be fun. I really want MK to make a good showing, if i can help it, because i think their is little faith in having MK at events here. The only reason it made the cut this year was because it was a new release. I'm hoping if MK has a good look for this tournament i can not only push it in further events, But also get other events going that can cater to having a decent community following.

I guess we will see after this event what happens. I've been doing my best to get things in order since i been on board with the project.

*Update*
Unfortuantely i had been pushing for 3+months to get a guaranteed minimum prize pool of $200. Just to show people that they should come out, But after waiting out this whole time i was finally given the information that at this time other involved parties are not willing to back the idea the way they had originally thought. I was going to personally back it for MK and SF until i found out i was having another child lol. Then my old lady said she would kill me if i did haha. Of course things like this happen, But i just want to be 100% transparent with the community so everyone knows whats going on and what im trying to get going.

Also i will post the schedule i have in the works shortly. It will be subject to a lot of change once we get closer to the event day. I just want people to get a rough idea of what we are thinking for the schedule. Once i see how many people are going and have some other fine points crunched out then i should have a more solid schedule finished and posted.

FinalBoss_FGC

kewlkewl. hope u can make it out. its gonna be fun. I really want MK to make a good showing, if i can help it, because i think their is little faith in having MK at events here. The only reason it made the cut this year was because it was a new release. I'm hoping if MK has a good look for this tournament i can not only push it in further events, But also get other events going that can cater to having a decent community following.

I guess we will see after this event what happens. I've been doing my best to get things in order since i been on board with the project.

*Update*
Unfortuantely i had been pushing for 3+months to get a guaranteed minimum prize pool of $200. Just to show people that they should come out, But after waiting out this whole time i was finally given the information that at this time other involved parties are not willing to back the idea the way they had originally thought. I was going to personally back it for MK and SF until i found out i was having another child lol. Then my old lady said she would kill me if i did haha. Of course things like this happen, But i just want to be 100% transparent with the community so everyone knows whats going on and what im trying to get going.

Also i will post the schedule i have in the works shortly. It will be subject to a lot of change once we get closer to the event day. I just want people to get a rough idea of what we are thinking for the schedule. Once i see how many people are going and have some other fine points crunched out then i should have a more solid schedule finished and posted.
Congrats on the new baby!